What kind of message is Kirk sending his team with quotes like this?

WindyCityHawkI

“I felt this morning when I woke up that we had a chance to win any of the four or five games on our schedule and we could lose any of the five,â€￾ Ferentz said after Saturday’s loss. “And I still feel the same way, so the season isn’t over.â€￾

This is unacceptable. Everything starts at the top with the head coach, and for him to be coming out and saying he thinks we could lose any of our next 5 games? And that includes Minnesota!! What kind of message is he sending his players saying that? While I understand that he says one thing to the media and may say something else behind closed doors, this is unacceptable. You should be going into every game expecting to win. There is no reason to even have the thought of losing to Minnesota enter your mind. They are AWFUL. And we have lost to them two years in a row! Saying things like this helps lead your players to doubt themselves.

How many more times do we have to lose to a completely inferior opponent for some sort of change to happen? At least shake up the staff or do something. Mike Stoops is exactly what they need, someone to bring a little fire and desire and attitude to the team instead of having the players think they could lose any of the next 5 games?

“I felt this morning when I woke up that we had a chance to win any of the four or five games on our schedule and we could lose any of the five,â€￾ Ferentz said after Saturday’s loss. “And I still feel the same way, so the season isn’t over.â€￾

This is unacceptable. Everything starts at the top with the head coach, and for him to be coming out and saying he thinks we could lose any of our next 5 games? And that includes Minnesota!! What kind of message is he sending his players saying that? While I understand that he says one thing to the media and may say something else behind closed doors, this is unacceptable. You should be going into every game expecting to win. There is no reason to even have the thought of losing to Minnesota enter your mind. They are AWFUL. And we have lost to them two years in a row! Saying things like this helps lead your players to doubt themselves.

How many more times do we have to lose to a completely inferior opponent for some sort of change to happen? At least shake up the staff or do something. Mike Stoops is exactly what they need, someone to bring a little fire and desire and attitude to the team instead of having the players think they could lose any of the next 5 games?

Word.

Don't particularly care for the quote but I understand what he's saying, that this team doesn't have any guaranteed wins on the schedule, that we can't just show up and expect to win. I think that's the opposite of fat cat.

Probably not a good choice of words but i really dont see a problem with it.

Pretty much says that if the team doesnt come out to play they could very well lose (and did) but if they come out to play they could very well win the rest of the games (and still can)

One thing about Ferentz is that he is very real with the media, in my opinion. What he said was 100% correct and proved itself Saturday. All I would say is I hope he has a different attitude with his team behind closed doors. We all know he is a motivator by the way we can go into big games and play great. My problem with coach is that we can play the exact opposite going into games we should dominate. It's getting frustrating.

+1

41-50 overall record at Arizona. 1-2 in bowl games. I don't know that too many Hawk fans would be happy with that over the past 7.5 years.
IOWA 63-34. 4-2 in bowl games over same time period.

I think he was referring to the rumor last week regarding Mike Stoops taking over for Norm.

One thing about Ferentz is that he is very real with the media, in my opinion. What he said was 100% correct and proved itself Saturday. All I would say is I hope he has a different attitude with his team behind closed doors. We all know he is a motivator by the way we can go into big games and play great. My problem with coach is that we can play the exact opposite going into games we should dominate. It's getting frustrating.

Lol what?

I'm still mystified as to what, exactly, Mike Stoops can bring this team. All I know is he got unceremoniously dumped--during the season--from his HC job at Arizona.

And what KF said is mere public coach-speak. Nothing more.

Probably not a good choice of words but i really dont see a problem with it.

Pretty much says that if the team doesnt come out to play they could very well lose (and did) but if they come out to play they could very well win the rest of the games (and still can)

This. I think this is coach-speak Ferentz style. Pretty sure he's said something similar in previous seasons. Doesn't really say much.

I think the comment is warranted. however it might be miss worded. its up to this team to crawl out of this hole. even if the coaching isn't great. a good player and or team can make up for that. I hear a lot of people on here talking about KF not being able to get the team jacked for the games. as a person who played this game and loved every minute of it, you do NOT need anyone but your self to get up for a game. that being said, I am not defending the **** poor coaching decisions. just that it truely is up to the players to execute and to play with fire. you should never play a game thinking your going to win. I always played as if no one respects you. its called having a chip on your shoulder. the way this defense used to play at Iowa.

Latest posts