What kind of message is Kirk sending his team with quotes like this?

This. I think this is coach-speak Ferentz style. Pretty sure he's said something similar in previous seasons. Doesn't really say much.
This is how I see it. Nothing wrong with telling the team that the outcome of each and every remaining game is up to them. How much do you want to win......

Actually sounds positive to me. Kirk is telling the troops that they Can win the rest of the games on the schedule or not. There are those who doubt we can win One more game. There is no doubt that KF's statement is realistic.....

Iowa has had about two guaranteed wins all year...One would have thought that Minnesota would be a victory considering they have one of the worst teams in college football but as usual Ferentz and the staff made them look like potential B1G champions.

Maybe Ferentz, when he gets up in the morning should say to himself...what can I do with this team and coaching staff to turn things around????
I hope he is thinking that, but I bet he is out of answers at this point.

I think the quote is fine, because obviously he is right, he should feel and his football team should feel like we can win every game and lose every game on our schedule because thats the facts of college football. You can't just mail in a victory as we have found out the past few years, he should have the team prepared to play their best game every week cause otherwise you get beat by minnesota and killed by the other four left. Tripping over this quote is stupid. Now you want to go off about losing to an inferior team, i'm all about that, but tripping because he stated the truth is pretty foolish.

“I felt this morning when I woke up that we had a chance to win any of the four or five games on our schedule and we could lose any of the five,â€￾ Ferentz said after Saturday’s loss. “And I still feel the same way, so the season isn’t over.â€￾

This is unacceptable. Everything starts at the top with the head coach, and for him to be coming out and saying he thinks we could lose any of our next 5 games? And that includes Minnesota!! What kind of message is he sending his players saying that? While I understand that he says one thing to the media and may say something else behind closed doors, this is unacceptable. You should be going into every game expecting to win. There is no reason to even have the thought of losing to Minnesota enter your mind. They are AWFUL. And we have lost to them two years in a row! Saying things like this helps lead your players to doubt themselves.

How many more times do we have to lose to a completely inferior opponent for some sort of change to happen? At least shake up the staff or do something. Mike Stoops is exactly what they need, someone to bring a little fire and desire and attitude to the team instead of having the players think they could lose any of the next 5 games?

So basicly he is saying he doesn't know the team.

Which would be a step down from what we've had over the last ten years.
Are you referring to Iowa's overall defense this year? Are you referring to Iowa's pass defense every year? No, you're not. It's time for a change. Ferentz needs a strong defense to back up the conservative playcalling he likes to call. EDIT: I know we're hijacking this thread. To get back on track: the 'offensive' Ferentz quote is trying to fire his players up. To paraphrase: Put forth the effort and Iowa wins. Less than your best effort, Iowa loses.

I'm talking about the only thing that ******* matters, points allowed per game. Over the last ten years we have been very very good. Measuring our D by any other measure is ******* idiotic.

It's hard to imagine Hayden making that quote, but he might have.

I have a much bigger problem with KF's quote on the "hands team". An unintentional public confession of coaching incompetence, for that play at least. When I read it, I exclaimed out loud "WTF???", alarming my wife.
He would never conceive of doing it himself, so of course he did not expect it from his opponent. Unbelievable.

I have been a loyal Ferentz Fan and I think he will probably have a good season next year and save his job. The cyclical nature is killing me and some of his other quotes. I remember him saying well thats the "cyclical nature of college football." Sometimes your good, sometimes your bad. We pay you a lot so at least don't admit you are going to suck sometimes.

Probably not a good choice of words but i really dont see a problem with it.

Pretty much says that if the team doesnt come out to play they could very well lose (and did) but if they come out to play they could very well win the rest of the games (and still can)
Agreed.I have much more of a problem with other parts of his coaching than those comments.
He can only do so much in some facets of what coaching involves and from there its on the players shoulders.

I do find the notion that it makes no sense to expect the onside kick (which Kirk said after game) there is a foolish and dumb statement. You were up, 8-9 minutes left in the game, and minnesota had not stopped coker all game. if they kick off to you, what will we be doing, running coker down their throat, which they couldn't stop and we eat up all the time in the world and probably put points up there, i.e. we win the game. The move that made sense there was for him to kick an onside, the fact we weren't prepared for it is inexcusable, the fact that dolphin tried to legitimize that is foolish and the fact that the coaches didn't see it coming is ridiculous.

Me either. wasnt it just last year everyone was complaining about his antics on the sideline?

I was just thinking the same....but in return, I saw Minnesota coaches, as well as other team's staff show excitement, jump for joy, be the first person to greet a kid smacking him around (in a positive way) after making a great play, show emotion. Refreshing to see, we don't see it enough.

Different then antics though....I'm not condoning antics.

I'm talking about the only thing that ******* matters, points allowed per game. Over the last ten years we have been very very good. Measuring our D by any other measure is ******* idiotic.

How about creating turnovers....field position?

Howard Jones and Forrest Evashevski were both better coaches than Kirk.
very debatable, especially give the current era of recruiting. Even if HJ and FE were better, you could very easily argue that KF is Iowa' Best coach in the last 25 years.

What about them?
I'm not saying there more important, but a three and out every once in a while's not a bad idea, either's creating a turnover. Don't be a ******!

It's all about points, nothing else matters. It doesn't matter how many to's or three and outs they have. It doesnt matter what they rank against the pass or the run, it doesnt matter how many yards they give up. It's all about points.

It's all about points, nothing else matters. It doesn't matter how many to's or three and outs they have. It doesnt matter what they rank against the pass or the run, it doesnt matter how many yards they give up. It's all about points.

I politely disagree, when you defensive scheme forces your offense to consistantly go 70+ yards to get to the goaline, it has an impact.

Has anyone been able to confirm that the hands team was NOT on the field? Just because the hands team is on the field, doesn't necessarily mean they expect an onside kick.

Kirk himself confirmed it. Here is his quote via Rob Howe: "Not totally surprising," Ferentz said of the on-side kick. "I didn't think it was a situation we throw our hands team out there. It was a great call on their part and the execution was outstanding. Excellent call by Coach Kill."

Others who've watched the replay confirmed this in several other threads (I haven't seen the replay myself).

As I said, that quote steams me far more than the OP.

Latest posts