What happened to the Kobe Bryant Thread?

John Altobelli was a good dude, I had a kid I coach in high school, play for him at orange county and he was a class act who cared about kids. Also no relation between him and Joe. Rip all

I feel really bad for Kobe's family and all the families harmed in so many ways by this tragedy. But I'm sorry, someone who admittedly assaulted/raped a young woman while he was married does not deserve the title "hero" which is being thrown around. It kind of makes me sick, actually. I've thankfully got a lot of men in my life who are heroes, but Kobe will never be one of them.

This is where I am. Not wishing for anybody to tragically die like this but to use the word "hero" so loosely is not right. Just because one was one of the best NBA basketball players doesn't make one a hero. Save the term "hero" for the University of Iowa trainer who saved two individuals who were having heart attacks.

Sounds like Kobe got his shit together later in life and turned into a good man and father which is good. But, labeling as hero is over the top, IMO.

Last edited:
I believe this one was a twin engine and they just dont fall out of the sky. It used to be owned by the state of IL.

My cuz was a copter AF pilot. He was the first to survive a shaft break. Broke his leg though. That was in Tokyo.

Commercial helos crash less than comm planes. Non com helos crash less than non com planes per flight hour btw.

Yea, but is that because there are less helos flying around then there are planes.

This is where I am. Not wishing for anybody to tragically die like this but to use the word "hero" so loosely is not right. Just because one was one of the best NBA basketball players doesn't make one a hero. Save the term "hero" for the University of Iowa trainer who saved two individuals who were having heart attacks.

Sounds like Kobe got his shit together later in life and turned into a good man and father which is good. But, labeling as hero is over the top, IMO.
I agree, I kind of like to reserve the Hero title for someone that goes above and beyond and without hesitation puts ones life on the line or unfortunately dies saving somebody else.

I'd go one step further and say heros are people who risk their own lives to save others. The trainer was moreso just a guy in the right place at the right time. You don't have to be a hero to save a dying kid instead of watching him die. You just have to not be a cold hearted dick.

All that said, I've got no problem with how anyone uses that word. Maybe someone thinks Kobe is a hero because watching him play ball inspires them to play, thus getting them off the streets and perhaps saving their life. Is someone looked at Kobe as a hero because of a situation like that, or the one in the story posted earlier, I've got no problem with it.

I'd go one step further and say heros are people who risk their own lives to save others. The trainer was moreso just a guy in the right place at the right time. You don't have to be a hero to save a dying kid instead of watching him die. You just have to not be a cold hearted dick.

All that said, I've got no problem with how anyone uses that word. Maybe someone thinks Kobe is a hero because watching him play ball inspires them to play, thus getting them off the streets and perhaps saving their life. Is someone looked at Kobe as a hero because of a situation like that, or the one in the story posted earlier, I've got no problem with it.

I dunno, if somebody saves my life, I'm classifying them as a hero to me.

You're two paragraphs kind of contradict each other. You kind of talk out of both sides of your mouth. In one, you state that a hero is no hero unless their own lives are in danger. The next you state a hero can pretty much be how anybody interprets it thru their eyes.

It’s hard to tell whether or not he got his life together. At a glance. My wife is in the medical profession. At our son’s BB game an opponent had a cardiac arrest. I was watching him and knew he was in trouble on the court and he went to the bench. He lost consciousness and no one noticed. I started over when the coach saw it and stopped the game. The cop at the gym of the college freaked out. An ambulance wasn’t dispatched right away. My wife was reluctant to go over as people were just watching him turn blue. I said to my wife, one of us is going to do cpr. Since she was trained, I got up and walked out of the room with our daughters, not wanting them to watch this kid die. She went over and started cpr and had the cop get the defibrillator. I came back in. First shock, nothing. CPR continued. She prepared the 2nd shock. At that moment everyone in the gym were believers and there was mass prayer. You could hear a pin drop except for her voice. After the 2nd shock there was a gap in action. Soon the cop said, I’ve got a pulse. He gradually gained his color back and the kid started screaming. Took like 45 minutes for an ambulance to arrive. After heart surgery, the kid is doing well.

My wife was traumatized by the ordeal and was highly reluctant. She didn’t risk her life. She didn’t want to do it. Hero? Not sure. Did what she needed to do...yes. It was amazing how many people froze and didn’t do anything.

the whole hero thing is messed up. Kobe was a good player. The police report is hard to read. He was young. If he truly changed his family life around, I’d say yes he was a hero in some sort of way at least to some people. If he’s the same guy who did what the report says....no way.

I dunno, if somebody saves my life, I'm classifying them as a hero to me.

You're two paragraphs kind of contradict each other. You kind of talk out of both sides of your mouth. In one, you state that a hero is no hero unless their own lives are in danger. The next you state a hero can pretty much be how anybody interprets it thru their eyes.

My first paragraph was my personal definition of a hero. My second paragraph was me saying I don't mind if other people have a different definition. I don't feel like that's a contradiction.

It’s hard to tell whether or not he got his life together. At a glance. My wife is in the medical profession. At our son’s BB game an opponent had a cardiac arrest. I was watching him and knew he was in trouble on the court and he went to the bench. He lost consciousness and no one noticed. I started over when the coach saw it and stopped the game. The cop at the gym of the college freaked out. An ambulance wasn’t dispatched right away. My wife was reluctant to go over as people were just watching him turn blue. I said to my wife, one of us is going to do cpr. Since she was trained, I got up and walked out of the room with our daughters, not wanting them to watch this kid die. She went over and started cpr and had the cop get the defibrillator. I came back in. First shock, nothing. CPR continued. She prepared the 2nd shock. At that moment everyone in the gym were believers and there was mass prayer. You could hear a pin drop except for her voice. After the 2nd shock there was a gap in action. Soon the cop said, I’ve got a pulse. He gradually gained his color back and the kid started screaming. Took like 45 minutes for an ambulance to arrive. After heart surgery, the kid is doing well.

My wife was traumatized by the ordeal and was highly reluctant. She didn’t risk her life. She didn’t want to do it. Hero? Not sure. Did what she needed to do...yes. It was amazing how many people froze and didn’t do anything.

the whole hero thing is messed up. Kobe was a good player. The police report is hard to read. He was young. If he truly changed his family life around, I’d say yes he was a hero in some sort of way at least to some people. If he’s the same guy who did what the report says....no way.

Yeah, I'd say your wife is a hero.

Sir, your wife is a definite hero as are you.

Latest posts