What happened to the Kobe Bryant Thread?

Assuming the arguing was about 2003, at least he pretty much owned it. 15 years later maybe the criminal outcome may have been different

This is the transmission between the pilot and the tower. I'm hearing this pilot was exceptional and trained for the weather conditions. The accident may have been mechanical.

I feel really bad for Kobe's family and all the families harmed in so many ways by this tragedy. But I'm sorry, someone who admittedly assaulted/raped a young woman while he was married does not deserve the title "hero" which is being thrown around. It kind of makes me sick, actually. I've thankfully got a lot of men in my life who are heroes, but Kobe will never be one of them.

It was sad what happened to that thread. The guy & his daughter and seven others die in a terrible way, then some poster (not even saying his username) comes onto the thread & says things about an incident in Bryant's past just ripping on Kobe (and the guy is now dead.) A few Iowa fans rip on this particular user and then the meltdown began for that thread. I knew it was doomed to be deleted.

I'll never get in a helicopter. Ever. I've been offered a free chopper ride from Omaha to Boji for our gigs. Which means we'd be there in like 20 minutes instead of 3.5 hours. Nope. I don't know if there are statistics or what, but it seems like helicopters crash ALL the time.
I'll never get into a hot air balloon. Have you seen videos of those things when they crash? Terrifying!!

I feel really bad for Kobe's family and all the families harmed in so many ways by this tragedy. But I'm sorry, someone who admittedly assaulted/raped a young woman while he was married does not deserve the title "hero" which is being thrown around. It kind of makes me sick, actually. I've thankfully got a lot of men in my life who are heroes, but Kobe will never be one of them.

Since the rape case was dropped and his wife forgave him and gave him 4 beautiful children, maybe you should get off your high horse and just let it go...

Since the rape case was dropped and his wife forgave him and gave him 4 beautiful children, maybe you should get off your high horse and just let it go...

Was the thread meltdown about "hero". Yes, he was no hero. He was a gifted basketball player who managed to repair his life. Maybe money helped that, who knows. It was tragic.

This is crazy:

MJ was by far the better player. More explosive, equally maniacal but better able to fake social normality, more willing to trust others (Phil, his teammates, etc.). But I don't think any NBA player has ever outworked either of these 2. Kobe's footwork should be shown to any aspiring player.

Remember when that mofo rupture his Achilles, and then sank 2 FTs before limping off the court to be attended to?
That's pretty cool. Kudos to whoever put that together.

I agree, though, that despite the comparisons, Jordan was the better player and it really isn't that close. I watched both of their careers unfold. The two were - man, I can't believe I'm using past tense there... - comparable in terms of drive and work ethic, but in terms of ability combined with force of will, Jordan is in a class of his own.

I like to think of myself as a rock....and am with most things.....but that shit right there would break me.

I think you'd be surprised what you can handle, as well as how much people really step up and rally around a family. We had an amazing town where people supported us, cared for us, and grieved with us. I was in 3rd grade when he was hit by a car. My friends--even at that age--were amazing. Teachers, even for other classes, were understanding as hell. And the neighborhood where we lived was as good as it gets. Any time my parents had to go to the hospital--emergencies, transfers, consults, whatever--my little brother and I always had friends or neighbors that kept us going. Our neighborhood of kids--this was back in the 1960s/1970s when every family had three (or more!) kids, so we always had enough to do full-on baseball, football, hockey, basketball games--made for great times.

Nights were "capture-the-flag" or "run-touch-the-flagpole-free!". Tough as it was for our family, my parents, neighbors, friends, etc., kept life pretty "normal". Being a Cubs fans kind of sucked, but a good weekend was going to the Northwestern games on Saturday, then hitting the Cubs game on Sunday with our awesome uncle, who was walking sports history/trivia personified, and didn't consider a Sunday a success unless he picked up a Malnati's with double sausage for my little bro and I to attempt to eat in its entirety!

It was sad what happened to that thread. The guy & his daughter and seven others die in a terrible way, then some poster (not even saying his username) comes onto the thread & says things about an incident in Bryant's past just ripping on Kobe (and the guy is now dead.) A few Iowa fans rip on this particular user and then the meltdown began for that thread. I knew it was doomed to be deleted.
No use my username. I meant what I said, what if that had been your daughter that was raped, how would you feel? Tragic what happened to the people in the helicopter, but had Kobe not been an NBA star he would be rotting in a jail cell. Please feel free to enlighten yourself: https://www.thedailybeast.com/kobe-...ce-the-accusers-story-and-the-half-confession or maybe this one:: https://thinkprogress.org/the-legacy-of-the-kobe-bryant-rape-case-6a42f159be7b/

This is gonna sound messed up, but if it was going to happen, it's probably better for the remaining daughters that it happened now. I lost both parents in my 20s and even at that age it was a motherfucker to go through.

Sorry to hear that you had to go through that at such an young age.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that you had to go through that at such an young age.
Thanks for the kindness, man.

It was a bombshell when it happened for sure, but to be honest some parts of it are getting harder as I get older. My old man and I bonded over sports, and from kindergarten through college he never missed a single athletic event of mine. He died before my son turned 1 and now that he's into sports I know my dad would be going to everything of his to watch. And that would have been good for both of em.

But life keeps on truckin.

Thanks for the kindness, man.

It was a bombshell when it happened for sure, but to be honest some parts of it are getting harder as I get older. My old man and I bonded over sports, and from kindergarten through college he never missed a single athletic event of mine. He died before my son turned 1 and now that he's into sports I know my dad would be going to everything of his to watch. And that would have been good for both of em.

But life keeps on truckin.

I don’t now what your personal beliefs are but I believe our loved ones who have passed on are never far from us.

I hope you will live long enough to get to enjoy spending time with grand children.

Latest posts