What happened to the Kobe Bryant Thread?

Here's the deal.

I'm a one-man band here, which means I don't have the time to go back through a thread and delete individual posts. I'm trying to provide content and run a site. I'm not babysitting.

If I see a thread headed in the wrong direction with politics, religion, nonsensical name-calling and any otherwise bullshit tone, I will just delete it.

You guys are going to have self police some. If you start tangling with the trolls, so be it. But don't expect me to put up with it.

That's all I have to say on the topic. If a thread disappears, you will know why.
I'll do it for 5 bucks an hour.

Crazy sad. It is almost half surprising there aren't more tragedies in regards to travel then what there have been. There's so many vehicles planes copters etc moving all the time. I'm glad there aren't more accidents then what there's been.

Helicopters seem dangerous as hell. Seems every year there are multiple helicopter crashes that kill soldiers doing training exercises and stuff. I get the point of rich people flying helicopters though, avoid the traffic and delays. Super convenient. Also just seems so damn dangerous.

Helicopters seem dangerous as hell. Seems every year there are multiple helicopter crashes that kill soldiers doing training exercises and stuff. I get the point of rich people flying helicopters though, avoid the traffic and delays. Super convenient. Also just seems so damn dangerous.

A friend of mine flies copters in the marines. He says on the first day of training, they are told (and I paraphrase), "Airplanes are made to fly. If you cut off all power and controls, by default the thing will still mostly glide. Helicopters are made to crash, and you will need to do everything within your power to make sure that doesn't happen."

It's a tragedy, watched him play and he was great at his profession. I'm sure he did some great things out of bb too. The funny thing is the daily obituaries are full of people that most likely done some great things in their respectful lives too and besides loved ones none of us will have ever of known. Today there are several remembering the 75 year of Auschwitz and most of them never got a chance to live a life or their dreams.

A friend of mine flies copters in the marines. He says on the first day of training, they are told (and I paraphrase), "Airplanes are made to fly. If you cut off all power and controls, by default the thing will still mostly glide. Helicopters are made to crash, and you will need to do everything within your power to make sure that doesn't happen."

Yikes.

So in other words in helicopters you crash right away and it’s over, in an airplane you get to freak out for awhile before you crash.

It's a tragedy, watched him play and he was great at his profession. I'm sure he did some great things out of bb too. The funny thing is the daily obituaries are full of people that most likely done some great things in their respectful lives too and besides loved ones none of us will have ever of known. Today there are several remembering the 75 year of Auschwitz and most of them never got a chance to live a life or their dreams.

So true. What makes it different with a celebrity is that we FEEL like we know them, so in a way it feels like losing someone close to you. And because there are millions of people going through that same process at once, there is a shared-experience thing going on. Had that helicopter been filled with people that no one had heard of, it would be no less a tragedy, but upon hearing about it we wouldn't be impacted nearly so deeply.

M
My old man was in Vietnam for 22 months, when he was due to come home the Army was trying to get people to stay on and they had offered to send him through helicopter pilot training as one of his options. He said no f’n way, he was 21 years old and wanted outta there (he was drafted). He always told me that was his biggest regret in life was not staying on and doing that.

I'll never get in a helicopter. Ever. I've been offered a free chopper ride from Omaha to Boji for our gigs. Which means we'd be there in like 20 minutes instead of 3.5 hours. Nope. I don't know if there are statistics or what, but it seems like helicopters crash ALL the time.

M

My old man was in Vietnam for 22 months, when he was due to come home the Army was trying to get people to stay on and they had offered to send him through helicopter pilot training as one of his options. He said no f’n way, he was 21 years old and wanted outta there (he was drafted). He always told me that was his biggest regret in life was not staying on and doing that.

I'll never get in a helicopter. Ever. I've been offered a free chopper ride from Omaha to Boji for our gigs. Which means we'd be there in like 20 minutes instead of 3.5 hours. Nope. I don't know if there are statistics or what, but it seems like helicopters crash ALL the time.
I was offered a ride on a drone recently from an unnamed agency. Turned it down cuz it seemed like a setup. Still not sure how I feel about it.

Most recent article on the subject: https://news.yahoo.com/kobe-bryant-...ors-080109946.html?.tsrc=notification-brknews

I can't imagine the job of having to go through wreckage looking for remains and trying to piece together what caused this crash. I get the fog conditions but a helicopter like that should have little problems navigating through fog and I think mechanical failure has been ruled out. It makes me wonder if something happened to the pilot.

ok, so maybe it was the fog: https://news.yahoo.com/kobe-bryants-helicopter-crashed-foggy-102404161.html

I don't get why people risk their lives like this. If the conditions were that dangerous to fly then get into one of your nice vehicles and drive there. This could have easily been avoided.

I read a report that city helicopters like police and EMT were grounded in the morning because the fog was so thick. I guess I figure that if the police aren't going to fly in it, private pilots ought to think twice about it as well.....

Have you ever flown in one? I gotta say, absolutely awesome experience.

What's sad in this case, to me, is that Kobe's two youngest kids will never know him. Maybe the three-year old will have some memories, but the seven-month old will never--ever--know him. So sad.

I read a report that city helicopters like police and EMT were grounded in the morning because the fog was so thick. I guess I figure that if the police aren't going to fly in it, private pilots ought to think twice about it as well.....

I read that too, I suppose it’s hard to tell a celebrity no

Statistically, helicopters are more dangerous that airline travel, but much safer compared to traveling by car:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/are-helicopters-safe-how-they-stack-up-against-planes-cars-and-trains/
Yeah there's nothing we do in our daily lives aside from eating shitty food that's more dangerous than driving.

Of all the things that people freak out about safety-wise, we think absolutely nothing of driving a 4,000 lb vehicle head on at an 80,000 lb semi with less than four feet of separation. You're basically playing chicken at a combined 130 mph possibly hundreds of times a day if you commute on a highway.

But people shit their drawers about flying when there hasn't been a major commercial airline incident since 2009.

Latest posts