What happened to the Kobe Bryant Thread?

Statistically, helicopters are more dangerous that airline travel, but much safer compared to traveling by car:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/are-helicopters-safe-how-they-stack-up-against-planes-cars-and-trains/

As with planes it's an apples and oranges comparison to cars. Highly trained and regulated operators in a managed air space with plenty of clearance between vehicles vs a free for all with plenty of people who probably shouldn't be behind the wheel passing within inches of each other.

That said, helicopters are cool. But the margin for error disappears if that tail rotor fails, You're screwed. At least in a plane you have the possibility of gliding in for a reasonable and survivable landing.

That said, helicopters are cool. But the margin for error disappears if that tail rotor fails, You're screwed. At least in a plane you have the possibility of gliding in for a reasonable and survivable landing.
You can auto-rotate, which is like when you throw those maple tree helicopter seeds up in the air (pilots are trained to do it in an emergency), but yeah. From what I understand the circumstances have to be about perfect to pull off a successful one in the event of an engine or tail rotor failure. A main rotor failure is 100% death above a few feet off the ground.

Have you ever flown in one? I gotta say, absolutely awesome experience.

What's sad in this case, to me, is that Kobe's two youngest kids will never know him. Maybe the three-year old will have some memories, but the seven-month old will never--ever--know him. So sad.

At least there will be countless videos of his accomplishments and interviews for his kids to watch. Some small consolation I guess. Plus they will have comfortable lives thanks to his hard work.

At least there will be countless videos of his accomplishments and interviews for his kids to watch. Some small consolation I guess. Plus they will have comfortable lives thanks to his hard work.
This is gonna sound messed up, but if it was going to happen, it's probably better for the remaining daughters that it happened now. I lost both parents in my 20s and even at that age it was a motherfucker to go through.

I was in Central America with the Army in 2002. One of the "birds" was provided by a crew from The Virgin Islands.

I don't care for helicopters but was ordered to go to a certain location via helicopter. So, off I went. They were great guys with such an inviting personality.

After I was home a couple of weeks I asked a returning friend if the Virgin Islands Crew was still in action at the outpost where we were stationed. He told me they crashed in Guatemala, four days ago, in a rain storm, no survivors. RIP

True, money won't be an issue, and there is something to be said for that. I imagine, though, that his widow feels pretty helpless right now. It's hard enough doing one funeral. But two? I can't fathom that.

As with planes it's an apples and oranges comparison to cars. Highly trained and regulated operators in a managed air space with plenty of clearance between vehicles vs a free for all with plenty of people who probably shouldn't be behind the wheel passing within inches of each other.

Its rare but not unheard of for an engine to fail in an airplane. Luckily thats one reason why they have multiple engines. If all engines fail they can still glide. If nothing else just hope Sully is flying your plane and the Hudson river is nearby

Helicopters...nope. dead

This is gonna sound messed up, but if it was going to happen, it's probably better for the remaining daughters that it happened now. I lost both parents in my 20s and even at that age it was a motherfucker to go through.

Hard to say, really, but like I mentioned to him, I can't imagine what his widow is going through.

True, money won't be an issue, and there is something to be said for that. I imagine, though, that his widow feels pretty helpless right now. It's hard enough doing one funeral. But two? I can't fathom that.

I don't think its the funeral that will hit her as much as cleaning out their rooms and personal items. fuuuuuuuuuug that. I can't even imagine.

I don't think its the funeral that will hit her as much as cleaning out their rooms and personal items. fuuuuuuuuuug that. I can't even imagine.

Yeah, that will be insanely hard, I imagine. Hopefully, friends and family will come through for his remaining family.

This is crazy:

MJ was by far the better player. More explosive, equally maniacal but better able to fake social normality, more willing to trust others (Phil, his teammates, etc.). But I don't think any NBA player has ever outworked either of these 2. Kobe's footwork should be shown to any aspiring player.

Remember when that mofo rupture his Achilles, and then sank 2 FTs before limping off the court to be attended to?

I always thought it was weird when in movies you see the broken down parent who leaves their deceased kid’s room alone for like 29 years, but once you become a parent, you get it.

This is crazy:

MJ was by far the better player. More explosive, equally maniacal but better able to fake social normality, more willing to trust others (Phil, his teammates, etc.). But I don't think any NBA player has ever outworked either of these 2. Kobe's footwork should be shown to any aspiring player.

Remember when that mofo rupture his Achilles, and then sank 2 FTs before limping off the court to be attended to?

I've never liked the comparisons of players from different eras. Its just too subjective. The game changes, the rules change, the players change, the workouts change, the diet changes, the advanced stats change, etc.

That being said both Kobe and MJ were no-nonsense workaholics.

Helicopters are nothing but hydraulics, that being said anyone who has ever flown in one knows that you'll see hydraulic fluid here and there. Our Moto in the Marine Corps was if you see it leaking take a ride. If you see no leaks stay grounded as it may be out of fluid. I've had my share of ch 46 and 53's. What's even more remarkable I got a close up view when we had cobra hit a 46 in the middle of the night. The cobra pilots disinagrated and the 20 Marines in the 46 fell to their deaths. I had to transport the wreckage back and couldn't believe that the rotors are fiberglass and if you cut them apart they are nothing but honeycomb like wasps nest inside.

I always thought it was weird when in movies you see the broken down parent who leaves their deceased kid’s room alone for like 29 years, but once you become a parent, you get it.

Sometimes I get it. In the case of my parents, my brother was in a coma for 2 1/2 years before passing. They were ready to get on with life. My Mom often said that length helped her be able to accept his death.

What always haunted me was them having to pick out his burial clothes. My heart still breaks for them having to go through that.

Sometimes I get it. In the case of my parents, my brother was in a coma for 2 1/2 years before passing. They were ready to get on with life. My Mom often said that length helped her be able to accept his death.

What always haunted me was them having to pick out his burial clothes. My heart still breaks for them having to go through that.
Jesus, man. I don't even like to see my son wipe out and scrape his knee up. I can't even imagine that kinda shit. I'd have to be tied down.

I like to think of myself as a rock....and am with most things.....but that shit right there would break me.

Its rare but not unheard of for an engine to fail in an airplane. Luckily thats one reason why they have multiple engines. If all engines fail they can still glide. If nothing else just hope Sully is flying your plane and the Hudson river is nearby

Helicopters...nope. dead

I believe this one was a twin engine and they just dont fall out of the sky. It used to be owned by the state of IL.

My cuz was a copter AF pilot. He was the first to survive a shaft break. Broke his leg though. That was in Tokyo.

Commercial helos crash less than comm planes. Non com helos crash less than non com planes per flight hour btw.

Latest posts