What Gopher fans are saying about Iowa and our state

If BF would pull a game plan out of his butt, I'd love nothing more than to stow the boat on PJs bunch.

Having lived near the Cities for several years I really sensed an attitude that the universe revolved around them. A lot of friendly folks but also a very insular, provincial theme among many. And the hatred of all things Iowa goes way beyond a number of sporting events a year. I'm surprised a sociologist or two hasn't written a book about it. It's substantially more than simply a bickering between bordering states.

I live 45 minutes south of the twin cities and everyone here hates me because I’m from Iowa. There is also a helluva lot of racism in these smaller towns. If you’re a minority around here, you will be under a microscope at all times. Progressive my ass.

Tough to do when they crank the uprights down as soon as the game is over. I'd have some police dogs waiting in the wings in the event the Gophers win this game and their fans get an inkling to come on the field. Even if Iowa would be about to lose that game, I'd stick around to watch that.
Who says those students would wait until the end of the game? They might try to tear them down before the opening kickoff.

Who says those students would wait until the end of the game? They might try to tear them down before the opening kickoff.
That would be awesome. Then our students would come on the field, and it would be an all-time brawl. Because no way would our students allow that crap to happen in Kinnick, unlike the Gopher fans in 2002. We'd be talking about that for years.

I'm amazed at the quality of voice transcription these days. Most of those people would have been forced to mash their palms against their keypads fruitlessly before. Ain't technology great?

Funny, I was swimming in the Iowa River north of the Burlington Bridge one late night about 2:20 a.m. after last call and got hit by a golf ball.

Seinfeld was a masterpiece for years. Very well written show. This was probably my ultimate favorite show and line. Seinfeld also said himself this scene and ending line from Kramer.

That would be awesome. Then our students would come on the field, and it would be an all-time brawl. Because no way would our students allow that crap to happen in Kinnick, unlike the Gopher fans in 2002. We'd be talking about that for years.
Think of how ugly it could get in the bars downtown during and after the game.

In all seriousness a couple students drowned during my time when they got too close to the dam just past that bridge.

Another drowned when he left Mayflower residence hall, tried to walk across a frozen over Iowa river, and fell through.

I knew a student who tried to off himself by jumping off the Hancher bridge. His friend went in from the shore to try and rescue him and the friend, not my acquaintance who actually jumped, ended up drowning.

I jumped off that bridge a few times myself. I was lucky....and stupid.

I remember one student like in 1994 or 1995 who unfortunately decided to try to jump the 8-10 ft between the two (east and west) bridges on Burlington and didn't make it to the other. He unfortunately went over the damn and drowned.

In all seriousness a couple students drowned during my time when they got too close to the dam just past that bridge.

Another drowned when he left Mayflower residence hall, tried to walk across a frozen over Iowa river, and fell through.

I knew a student who tried to off himself by jumping off the Hancher bridge. His friend went in from the shore to try and rescue him and the friend, not my acquaintance who actually jumped, ended up drowning.

I jumped off that bridge a few times myself. I was lucky....and stupid.

Yea a river in the middle of a university campus is not the best situation, especially when buildings and halls are split on each side. Ice is very dangerous if one doesn't understand how to read it or how good ice is made.

Yea a river in the middle of a university campus is not the best situation, especially when buildings and halls are split on each side. Ice is very dangerous if one doesn't understand how to read it or how good ice is made.
Yes and I'm sure the .250 or whatever his blood alcohol content was didn't help his judgement either.

The river cutting through the middle of the campus doesn't help but the five bridges that exist between Park St. and Burlington St. are there for a reason.

I would never jump off the Hancher bridge again and not just because it's illegal. The bottom of that river, and the associated undercurrents and eddy's have probably completely changed since the historic 2008 flood.

As for ice conditions, that's where @Fryowa comes in. He would know all about ice conditions.

Yes and I'm sure the .250 or whatever his blood alcohol content was didn't help his judgement either.

The river cutting through the middle of the campus doesn't help but the five bridges that exist between Park St. and Burlington St. are there for a reason.

I would never jump off the Hancher bridge again and not just because it's illegal. The bottom of that river, and the associated undercurrents and eddy's have probably completely changed since the historic 2008 flood.

As for ice conditions, that's where @Fryowa comes in. He would know all about ice conditions.

I've ice fished for years so really respect the ice. Snow cover on ice is one of the worst situations as it actually insulates and inhibits ice formation. But if is really cold out, it is deceiving because it looks safe and people think it is really cold, but underneath, the ice is thin. Also, a little wind or windy days doesn't help ice to form. The best is having a length of time with about 10 degrees with little to no wind.

I always wondered how deep the river is around Hancher or City Park. When you jumped in, about how deep was it?

I've ice fished for years so really respect the ice. Snow cover on ice is one of the worst situations as it actually insulates and inhibits ice formation. But if is really cold out, it is deceiving because it looks safe and people think it is really cold, but underneath, the ice is thin. Also, a little wind or windy days doesn't help ice to form. The best is having a length of time with about 10 degrees with little to no wind.

I always wondered how deep the river is around Hancher or City Park. When you jumped in, about how deep was it?
At the time ten to twelve feet. There was a cut right there by the old boathouse and dock where the rowing team used to launch, on the Hancher side of the river. That was deep enough for jumping-the middle of the bridge wasn't as safe. I'm sure the river bottom has been completely reconfigured aftee the 2008 flood.

There was an old campus legend, particularly in nearby Currier and Stanley halls, that numerous shopping carts lay in the riverbed beneath that bridge. Never heard that confirmed nor did I ever hear of an incident.

Last edited:

From my understanding now it's like 6-8 feet deep in most places with the channel a little deeper, but I hear it's not where you would expect it to be

Here’s how Gopher fans
https://images.app.goo.gl/XeJBBWSChaE3ucGG8

Latest posts