What Gopher fans are saying about Iowa and our state

Well that critique is from someone who has been going to Kinnick since 1985 when I was a young kid. Kinnick is great but being cramped in 12 inches of bench space with someone's knees in your back and another person's back in my lap isn't a comfortable experience. The only time I'm really comfortable there is when you get to stand for long periods of time but we all know how that goes.

I like taking my Dad and Uncle to games and that isn't easy for guys in their early 70s and not in the best health to sit in for 3 hours +

Iowa needs to rip out the benches between the 20s and put in individual seats. But they too concerned about making money.

I hate the steps inside Kinnick, it's like you have to baby step on the way down. Also, I don't know what they coated the steps with, but when they get wet from rain, they become very slick

Stadium-Expansion-Joint-Colorseal-Kinnick-Stairs-EMSEAL.jpg

Well that critique is from someone who has been going to Kinnick since 1985 when I was a young kid. Kinnick is great but being cramped in 12 inches of bench space with someone's knees in your back and another person's back in my lap isn't a comfortable experience. The only time I'm really comfortable there is when you get to stand for long periods of time but we all know how that goes.

I like taking my Dad and Uncle to games and that isn't easy for guys in their early 70s and not in the best health to sit in for 3 hours +

Iowa needs to rip out the benches between the 20s and put in individual seats. But they too concerned about making money.

I'm of mixed opinion on this. We've seen what "comfortable" can do to a crowd. (see CHA) I'd suggest some of the vibe you get is do to the crowded nature. (Remember what it was like prior to the first re-seating? THAT was crowded). I'm no youngster and I'm fine with the comfort level. It makes people a little crazy. Individual seats likely wouldn't work for the very reason you indicate. You can widen all you want...but the front/back space is pretty much locked in.

If football is still around in it's current form in 20 years, a new stadium will be built further out. Probably here. Talk about killing the unique Kinnick vibe.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6622805,-91.5755203,654m/data=!3m1!1e3

Great idea, but it would reduce seating capacity by at least 10-15 k, maybe more.

Season ticket holders get the chair backs and that's probably the most concession they will make.

Great idea, but it would reduce seating capacity by at least 10-15 k, maybe more.

Season ticket holders get the chair backs and that's probably the most concession they will make.

Oh it will never happen for the reason you just said. U of I will never reduce the seating capacity. It will cost millions to do and cost millions in lost revenue.

Kinnick isn't going anywhere in my lifetime and that's just fine. I go to less games now than what I used to and I shop on stub hub for seats on the aisle or very close to it and I get along fine. Like I said, I miss taking my old man. The only games we go to together anymore are at TCF because of the reasons I mentioned in my first post.

I'm of mixed opinion on this. We've seen what "comfortable" can do to a crowd. (see CHA) I'd suggest some of the vibe you get is do to the crowded nature. (Remember what it was like prior to the first re-seating? THAT was crowded). I'm no youngster and I'm fine with the comfort level. It makes people a little crazy. Individual seats likely wouldn't work for the very reason you indicate. You can widen all you want...but the front/back space is pretty much locked in.

If football is still around in it's current form in 20 years, a new stadium will be built further out. Probably here. Talk about killing the unique Kinnick vibe.

It's funny how you mention 20 years as a benchmark for football being around in it's current form.

I've said before that 2040 is my target date for football being abolished if it hasn't been radically altered by then.

That's an interesting theory and location you suggested. It would be easier getting in and out but, you're right, it would kill the pre/post game atmosphere. The Wave would be gone as well.

But if I'm going to a football game I don't need to be comfortable. I get the stink eye enough from standing when I go to CHA (some times yelled at).

I've got no issues with the comfort level in the stadium, might be a little cozy but that's what makes it what it is. People are just spoiled, and it's only getting worse.

I sit, by choice, in the south end zone. I have one of my seats on the aisle. I take up more room than I should, but the width of the seats, with chair backs, is not bad. Leg room kicks ass. No knees in your back, plenty of room for people to exit from my row. I sat in the main stadium for a game last year and no matter how much priority, I would never ever do that again. Reminds me of Camp Randall, which sucks.

I am no spring chicken, so I also really appreciate the hand rails, both in Kinnick and Carver. Interesting that Michigan has, since my last visit, installed rails in the entire 100,000+ stadium.
Smart move. The aging population in the US, added to the fact that younger folks like their TV sets a lot, means that the colleges need to adjust. Our north end zone project is a good example of that adjustment.

I sit, by choice, in the south end zone. I have one of my seats on the aisle. I take up more room than I should, but the width of the seats, with chair backs, is not bad. Leg room kicks ass. No knees in your back, plenty of room for people to exit from my row. I sat in the main stadium for a game last year and no matter how much priority, I would never ever do that again. Reminds me of Camp Randall, which sucks.

I am no spring chicken, so I also really appreciate the hand rails, both in Kinnick and Carver. Interesting that Michigan has, since my last visit, installed rails in the entire 100,000+ stadium.
Smart move. The aging population in the US, added to the fact that younger folks like their TV sets a lot, means that the colleges need to adjust. Our north end zone project is a good example of that adjustment.
Ohio Stadium, when I was there a few weeks ago, had handrails for the upper tank. Those steps were Arrowhead steep (Kansas City) but the view of the field was excellent.

Latest posts