What did the anti-Ferentz Crowd Think of Saturday?

Do you guys realize how dumb it sounds to raise a counter argument to KF's record number of wins by talking about a record number of losses? Good grief.
I don't see it as a counter argument. He owns both records. Why not give him credit for both?

If Ferentz was playing Texas Holdem/Poker…...he would be the "ultimate rock" at the table. 2004 and 2017 Ohio St would be the big time exceptions to this (win other examples sprinkled in here and there throughout 20 years).

Come to think of it....the movie The Rock was playing in the background. I just got a chuckle out of Sean Connery's character saying that "Losers always whine about doing their best, while winners go home and *uck the prom queen." Iowa football, always the bridesmaid, but never the bride. But, we usually have a decent looking dress to look at year to year.

And keep us in the top 25 with occasional runs in the top 10 every few years. That would be great.

Improbable? Maybe just an occasional peek in 20-25. Would that be okay to everyone?
I'm hopeful that this is where we are headed, but only time will tell. This team (Including last year) sure feels a whole lot like the Stanzi years.

I think the problem is that Kirk has lost a number of games over the years to teams that we never should have lost to

That's my biggest pet peeve against Kirk.......He left a lot of meat on the bone. He had an opportunity to where this isn't even a debate.

I'll agree to disagree. I'll save you the heartache and emotional distress. Or maybe not. Name a football team that runs the same play 30 times a game..and if you can do that, explain how thats not overly conservative and not unimaginative. The first half I get. You have to work on your bread and butter. However, theres times to work on your offense. Like when your up comfortably on a opponent your clearly better than.

Then add that to the fact our offense has been one of the worst in college football. Why do we have the only coach in modern day sports thats ok with that? AGAIN, I'm not saying break out the entire play book..but get these guys comfortable with the idea that the same running play isn't going to cut it in bigten play.

Hey, at least I didn't call you wrong because my opinion differs from yours.

Well...if your TE catches the ball...and your QB makes better decisions and throws...it's a different half in the first half. We just didn't execute. So we regroup and come out and our offensive line dominates, our defensive line dominates...and we outscore a good team 30-7...and made it look easy.

Don't make me break out the tape of Hayden Fry chastising the media about why they ran the ball into eight man fronts in an early season game. You have to practice running the ball to do it well. Contrary to what the casual observer thinks...our running game is not as vanilla as it appears. There is a lot more going on than people realize. You also have three guys on your OL that have never played. That was a great experience for them and it was important to get those reps.

Kirk Ferentz gets criticized for not being more aggressive with a lead and throwing to score more points, especially in a second half like yesterday. The play action was there from the middle of the third quarter on...yet we ran the ball. I'll go out on a limb here. I'm going to say KF thinks it was more important to get his offensive line reps in the running game, than it was to show more of our passing game. Remember, the running game sets up the entire offense..I'll go with KF here. Personally, I love watching Iowa's offensive line, so that was fun for me. They lit up NIU in the second half and NIU knew it was coming. Good stuff.

I don't see it as a counter argument. He owns both records. Why not give him credit for both?
It simply shows the whole picture, which is that Kirk's winning percentage isn't record breaking. HuckFinn is dumb. Same goes for his aliases.

Be honest...

I am a part-time anti-ferentz guy so I'll bite.

the first half was emblematic of 20 years. Slow sloppy on offense.

I wonder if their practice sessions are intense enough ...that when the game comes their just not up to it. More often than not on opening day they look to be in mid-summer form.

I wonder if having a quality P5 opponent on opening day would create a sharper edge for this team on opening day that would carry them through.

The 2nd half was a different ball game. Still I am concerned about the passing game--mostly with the accuracy of Stanley.

It seems he looked rushed. Something upper class hawk QB's tend to reflect. There were plays he had all the time in the world but had happy feet and threw the ball into coverage or into the ground. Hopefully he shows some moxy in the coming games. Whats going on in that qb room

I’m being a sarcastic jerk? Nice, Dr. Phil Cliff Clavin.

I was just wondering what was going through your minds watching the record for all-time coaching victories being broken. It’s a significant moment in the program’s history yet I had seen very little discussion on the topic in this forum.

I guess I should have been more specific but it’s interesting that folks interpreted the thread title to mean Kirk and Brian.

Many schools would have terminated Kirk during his low periods. Iowa is different. They gave him the opportunity to stick around after the lows. And because of that he's steadily delivered 6-8 wins more often than not. 19 X 7.5 wins gets you to 144.

Let me state I like Kirk, especially when you see some of the real jerks exposed like never before around the conference. It's also interesting to see what coaching tree some of these jerks came from. Maryland and Texas coaches off the Jim Harbaugh tree tells me something about old Jimbo. What I dislike is the amost rediculous rise of Brian to OC in such a short time. You see it all the time in business where the boss's son is put on the fast track with everyone sucking up to their future boss. Nobody will be giving him an evaluation, criticism, or hard time because that would be politically a disaster to make an enemy of the guy who will be signing your paycheck in a few years. I guess I would have liked to see Brian make his mark at another program before Kirk brought him on board. There are some very good OC's out there that probable deserved to be looked at ahead of Brian. If that makes me "anti-Ferentz" so be it.
Enough people in football circles who work with him very closely like Brian's football mind and coaching. People far more football intelligent and football un-biased than either side of that fence here. He'd be on an OBrien or Bellichik staff today, possibly working up to a coordinator position by now. If not now, in time. Pump the breaks on the criticism. Its 1 game into yr 2.

Anti-Ferentz crowd...come on Rob, you know the term is "haters". But I'll play. (be careful what you wish for)

If 144 wins makes Kirk the winningest coach in Iowa history (which I maintain is better represented by win % than wins only), his 97 losses also make him the losingest coach. That's not an opinion or viewpoint...those are the actual numbers.

KFz is a model citizen who runs a clean program with great kids. He's a great representative of IOWA. But a good journalist tells the whole story...and the numbers don't lie.
Arent they almost photocopy of Fry's W/L? YOU also can skew numbers however you want. What do i infer in your numbers argument about Fry?

Enough people in football circles who work with him very closely like Brian's football mind and coaching. People far more football intelligent and football un-biased than either side of that fence here. He'd be on an OBrien or Bellichik staff today, possibly working up to a coordinator position by now. If not now, in time. Pump the breaks on the criticism. Its 1 game into yr 2.
:rolleyes:

Arent they almost photocopy of Fry's W/L? YOU also can skew numbers however you want. What do i infer in your numbers argument about Fry?

There's nothing "skewed" about it. The wins and losses totals are what they are. Kirk has the most wins ever, he also has the most losses ever. That's not an "argument" ... those are facts.

If you prefer to go with the "winning percentage" interpretation, Fry has a higher winning percentage.That too is a fact. Infer from it what you want.

We're very fortunate to have had two coaches like Hayden and Kirk, back to back.

Last edited:
I’m not anti ferentz, but a consistent criticism I have and still have is over the past 10 years is Iowa’s constant inability to recruit and develop a WR. DJK, mcnutt and tevaun Smith all had flashes, but the lack of developing constant reliable downfield threats is baffling.

giphy.gif

WELL, YOU DIDN'T BRING IT UP. THAT"S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY, AND YOU LET US ALL DOWN. NO EXCUSES!!!

Ok, now I can take my cap lock off.
Understood, but his record of most losses is a product of the same thing his record of wins is. It's simply a matter of sticking around at one school for a long time due to a very patient fan base with lower expectations. I don't think either record is that big of a deal. Kudos to Kirk for sticking around 2 decades and getting his son an OC job though. That's an accomplishment. His win/loss record is ho hum in my opinion. :)

I'll agree to disagree. I'll save you the heartache and emotional distress. Or maybe not. Name a football team that runs the same play 30 times a game..and if you can do that, explain how thats not overly conservative and not unimaginative. The first half I get. You have to work on your bread and butter. However, theres times to work on your offense. Like when your up comfortably on a opponent your clearly better than.

Then add that to the fact our offense has been one of the worst in college football. Why do we have the only coach in modern day sports thats ok with that? AGAIN, I'm not saying break out the entire play book..but get these guys comfortable with the idea that the same running play isn't going to cut it in bigten play.

Hey, at least I didn't call you wrong because my opinion differs from yours.
Georgia Tech. I'm not sure that I even need to explain the other things to you. When it works it works, and when it doesn't, it doesn't. Both Iowa and GT trend toward average seasons with a few outliers on both ends. There are usually more positive outliers than negative. The thing that people like you that hate on these sorts of schemes fail to recognize is that there are many teams that play much more "interesting" schemes yet would kill for the sorts of success these two teams have had, despite their recruiting disadvantages and generally unchanging gameplans. And believe you me, I want Iowa to be less vanilla, and I think we're getting that. We got that last year in some big ways, but we also saw the growing pains. We saw that on Saturday, and we would have seen more had our receivers been better at catching balls.

Last edited:

Latest posts