What did the anti-Ferentz Crowd Think of Saturday?

I've been one of Kirk's biggest critics over the years. I have also given him a lot of credit too. I won't count 70-78 as I was born in 70 and didn't catch the football bug until Hayden's first year. So for all of the last 40 year's I have only known 2 coaches. Football is big money and we are Iowa! I've come to accept that! For what it is I'm thankful for what we've had, two great coaches and some damn fun times. Would I love to have a national title? Hell yes! But the older I get and fighting in the wars overseas my priorities have given me a different prespective. It's football, a game ,a way to enjoy four hours from reality. I can tell you I don't miss being in scandals like the big dogs and glad we aren't Nebraska and Michigan knowing what being on top was and now irrelevant and chasing it back for ever! Congrats to KF!

I’m being a sarcastic jerk? Nice, Dr. Phil Cliff Clavin.

I was just wondering what was going through your minds watching the record for all-time coaching victories being broken. It’s a significant moment in the program’s history yet I had seen very little discussion on the topic in this forum.

I guess I should have been more specific but it’s interesting that folks interpreted the thread title to mean Kirk and Brian.

After this past game and many others, he is a Jeff Fisher.

He sets records because Iowa is a patient place to coach and the state is filled with nice people.

Plus, he is the de facto AD and college president. If he is content with his success nothing else matters.

No, he is Mark Richt. Nice guy, good coach, not great. KF has admitted that at a lot of places he would have been ran out of Dodge. To his credit, you can tell he appreciates what he has at Iowa.

Rob can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think he is asking anyone to critique the Hawks' performance on Saturday, plenty of people have been doing that from opening kickoff up until this point. My guess is he is asking people who have been calling for Ferentz' head for years how it felt to watch him set the all-time Iowa wins record. Begrudging respect? Frustration that he has been allowed to hang around this long? Perhaps a change of heart re: Ferentz once you see the outpouring of praise from those that have been around the program?

I was at the game, and the funny thing is I completely forgot about the record because it had been downplayed so much by KF. It wasn't until I saw the media throng after the game that I remembered. I was happy I could be at that game, I think he has been a great steward for the program.

Good call. That appears to be exactly what he was doing. It was a troll job on Rob’s part, but he got exactly what a troll job is intended to do.

Last edited:
Rob can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think he is asking anyone to critique the Hawks' performance on Saturday, plenty of people have been doing that from opening kickoff up until this point. My guess is he is asking people who have been calling for Ferentz' head for years how it felt to watch him set the all-time Iowa wins record. Begrudging respect? Frustration that he has been allowed to hang around this long? Perhaps a change of heart re: Ferentz once you see the outpouring of praise from those that have been around the program?

I was at the game, and the funny thing is I completely forgot about the record because it had been downplayed so much by KF. It wasn't until I saw the media throng after the game that I remembered. I was happy I could be at that game, I think he has been a great steward for the program.
Give any coach enough time, he'll have the most wins in program history.

Be honest...
I'm far from anti-Ferentz but I'll weigh in. Give any coach enough time and they'll get the most wins "in program history". I don't consider it a monumental accomplishment. He's a good football coach and a good person. He's far too conservative for my taste. He's 100% guilty of nepotism and a gutless AD allows it.
Like most people, he has his good and his bad qualities. And like most coaches, I'll grow more fond of him after he retires and time goes by.

If that is what Rob H wanted people to discuss he could have written a more succinct title. I also like the point made that KF has the most losses as an Iowa coach. And that leads me to my main criticism of KF which is some of the awful losses he has on his record where his coaching decisions and conservative philosophy are a big part of the losses.

Some posted he has 97 losses and I would say, like last year's Purdue game, that KF contributes mightily to at least one unusual loss per season. So by rights his record at Iowa could almost easily be :

164-77 or about 70+%. That would be top flight Hall of Famish at Iowa.

This is why the record means little to me. Eddie Robinson comes to mind. Fry is a legend to me and Ferentz is a good guy who will never be his equal no matter how many 7 win seasons he strings together.
This is exactly how I see it.

I’m being a sarcastic jerk? Nice, Dr. Phil Cliff Clavin.

I was just wondering what was going through your minds watching the record for all-time coaching victories being broken. It’s a significant moment in the program’s history yet I had seen very little discussion on the topic in this forum.

I guess I should have been more specific but it’s interesting that folks interpreted the thread title to mean Kirk and Brian.

Its the title and you know that. So what is your definition?

#continuingtokickadeadhorse. Not only was the offense BAD in the first half. I rewatched the game last night. That "7 plays in a row just changing the direction," was midway through the 3rd quarter when we had built a comfortable lead. WHY NOT get some passes in to your young guys...Nothing crazy, but safe passes. When Stanley did have a WR screen to the flats, the ball was underthrown and terrible..WHY? because Stanley hadn't attempted a pass for 45 minutes.

There is conservative and there is SO CONSERVATIVE YOU HURT YOUR FOOTBALL TEAM. 1)allows for close losses if you are comfortable with a lead as little as 1 point. 2)hurts recruiting wr's when other coaches show your playing style to recruits. 3)takes away valuable learning opportunity because of limited reps. 4)TAKES THE FUN OUT OF PLAYING. 5) takes the fun out of watching something that is supposed to be fun to watch.

I don't recall there being any discussion on here at all when Kirk set the record for all-time coaching losses at Iowa.

I will say this much about KF, he finally admitted that how he coached the end of the 09' OSU game was a mistake. Only took him 10 years....but he admitted it. That's the game where my opinion of KF turned towards the negative side. The 2010 season drove that feeling home for several years. Now I am indifferent.

Latest posts