What did the anti-Ferentz Crowd Think of Saturday?

Congrats to Kirk and the record, while at the game I didn't even think about it. Kirk has been a class act and has had some great seasons, but it seems like (minus 2015) the past 6-7 years have been kind of stale. I'm wondering if we have gone as high as we're going to go with him as head coach? We aren't even in the top 25 anymore and he is paid like 4 million a year. I know people on here are happy with the average 7-8 wins, but I am greedy and want more, like 10-11 wins a year, why not? Look at Wisconsin, they have been to 3 Rose Bowls, Cotton Bowl and Orange Bowls and have played in the Big 10 championship game like every year except twice. Why can't we do this? We have an incredible new football facility, great and renovated football stadium, great fans and tradition. On the Big 10 Network Face Book page they posted a photo of the outside of Iowa's weigh room. Above the doors it read "The road to the Big 10 Championship goes through these doors." An opposing fan wrote saying it should read..."The road to the Outback Bowl goes through these doors." Hate to say, it but it does has some truth to it under Kirk.

No, he is Mark Richt. Nice guy, good coach, not great. KF has admitted that at a lot of places he would have been ran out of Dodge. To his credit, you can tell he appreciates what he has at Iowa.

Mark Richt coached at Georgia and now at Miami. Look at the recruiting classes the past ten years at both. it's a different ball game at those schools...there is an element to what Kirk Ferentz has to do that Mark Richt never had to do. Develop players from a much lower starting point. I know it's fantasy, but the way Iowa plays, with all 4* and 5* recruits would look alot like Alabama.

The anti Kirk crowd is about to have a really difficult couple of years. Yesterday showed we now have depth on the OL...depth on the DL. That's typically the start of a very good run of football. This is the type of team that may stumble in these first 5-6 games a couple of times...but I would not want to play them in November. We are big, physical on the offensive line...and we have athletes on defense. We just need more experience. Kirk's best teams always got their mojo around week 5-6, it's just whether we can avoid the flat performance or turnover laden game early.

Maybe I'm just bitter because I still remember the 13 same plays in a row at the Purdue game last year. A game my brother drove down from Minneapolis to watch. A game my dad came for. A game we froze our butts off to watch. To see us lose with one of the worst offensive called games in recent memory.

Mark Richt coached at Georgia and now at Miami. Look at the recruiting classes the past ten years at both. it's a different ball game at those schools...there is an element to what Kirk Ferentz has to do that Mark Richt never had to do. Develop players from a much lower starting point. I know it's fantasy, but the way Iowa plays, with all 4* and 5* recruits would look alot like Alabama.

The anti Kirk crowd is about to have a really difficult couple of years. Yesterday showed we now have depth on the OL...depth on the DL. That's typically the start of a very good run of football. This is the type of team that may stumble in these first 5-6 games a couple of times...but I would not want to play them in November. We are big, physical on the offensive line...and we have athletes on defense. We just need more experience. Kirk's best teams always got their mojo around week 5-6, it's just whether we can avoid the flat performance or turnover laden game early.

At this point I'm not so anti-Kirk as I am anti-Brian. If he can get us into the top 25 the next two years, I'll be happy.

I don't recall there being any discussion on here at all when Kirk set the record for all-time coaching losses at Iowa.

Longevity will get you both all time wins and losses. Congratulations to KF, but the congratulations is on par with a birthday. Eventually you'll be older than other people.

I just don't see Iowa naming the football field Ferentz Field at Kinnik Stadium.

Longevity will get you both all time wins and losses. Congratulations to KF, but the congratulations is on par with a birthday. Eventually you'll be older than other people.

I just don't see Iowa naming the football field Ferentz Field at Kinnik Stadium.

It's funny, if Urban Meyer wins a few more National Titles at Ohio State...they will probably name something after him in recognition. My recommendation is that they name the main "Toilet Area" after him. They can call it "Meyer Shithouse". I think that would be appropriate.

If I'm right, I think Iowa Football is about to go on a pretty nice run. If Kirk gets past Paterno in B10 wins, which he will do...and wins another B10 title or two...and with his philanthropic nature...I'd say he would deserve some form of building/field naming recognition. He needs to cement his legacy with another B10 title...but he's not far off.

At this point I'm not so anti-Kirk as I am anti-Brian. If he can get us into the top 25 the next two years, I'll be happy.
I'm not even anti Brian Ferentz. If he's given enough time, he can become a .600 football coach too. I think we could have done much better if KF had actually put the OC position out for applications.

Do you guys realize how dumb it sounds to raise a counter argument to KF's record number of wins by talking about a record number of losses? Good grief.

I'm not even anti Brian Ferentz. If he's given enough time, he can become a .600 football coach too. I think we could have done much better if KF had actually put the OC position out for applications.

Clearly, no one would have applied for the OC job because KF is way to conservative and would not allow his new OC to change anything.

It's funny, if Urban Meyer wins a few more National Titles at Ohio State...they will probably name something after him in recognition. My recommendation is that they name the main "Toilet Area" after him. They can call it "Meyer Shithouse". I think that would be appropriate.

If I'm right, I think Iowa Football is about to go on a pretty nice run. If Kirk gets past Paterno in B10 wins, which he will do...and wins another B10 title or two...and with his philanthropic nature...I'd say he would deserve some form of building/field naming recognition. He needs to cement his legacy with another B10 title...but he's not far off.
They could definitely name the top floor of the children's hospital in his and Mary's honor. And they should.

And keep us in the top 25 with occasional runs in the top 10 every few years. That would be great.

Improbable? Maybe just an occasional peek in 20-25. Would that be okay to everyone?

This thread (and several more like them) are starting to convince me that I just need to stay away from here altogether during the season. I follow Hawkeye football for entertainment, and I first start coming around here in 2009 when I had just finished my thesis and finally had a little more free time on my hand. I thought it would be a good way to get extra info and increase the entertainment value of following the Hawks. And many times it can be that. But there are also times when it is just plain miserable to browse past.

I was at the game. I came away encouraged. There was plenty of bad, but more of the correctable variety than the fatally flawed variety. The team showed some definite strengths that lead me to believe they have a pretty high ceiling.

I come by here to see what others thought, and the negativity is just oppressive. Some of it is well-grounded, but with a glass-half-empty feel. Much of it is just stupid from people who do not understand the nature of sports. Two specific examples come to mind:
  • I saw a claim that any other team with the Hawk's talent not held back by the ineptitude of KF would have scored 50+ on NIU, and I guess presumably won the game by 40+. NIU was RPI #52, top 35 in the country in scoring defense last year, 4-1 in their last 5 games vs. the B1G, and has the 15th best winning percentage in the nation under the current coach as a road dog. Iowa won easily, played backups through most of the 4th quarter, and covered by +16. Meanwhile, Wisconsin played the RPI #121 team and won by an almost identical score. MSU played the RPI #79 team and was down in the 4th quarter. PSU played the RPI #71 team and snuck past them in OT. Also in the top 25, Stanford and USC beat worse opponents than NIU by smaller margins than 26.
  • The claims that Iowa's play calling and offense design were unimaginative, overly conservative, and inept are just plain wrong. Iowa struggled mightily in the first half, but the plays were there to be made. Iowa did not execute. Lack of execution is absolutely on the coaches, it is their job to have the players ready. But claiming that the issue was with design just shows a complete lack of understanding of the game. The claim that Iowa's WR are not winning is totally true however, and that is worrisome.
Those are just 2 examples of things I have read that frustrate me to an unreasonable degree. So why do I keep coming back? I really don't know. I am confident that I will enjoy the season more if I stay away, but there is an addictive quality to online interaction. I think I will try to stay away from the forums for a few weeks and see how things go, but chances are I will sneak back when I am bored at work and looking for a diversion. So maybe I will see you guys in a few weeks (or more likely 30 min).

Ferentz has remained comfortable in his own shoes while working in the shadow of a legend. For that he deserves some credit because it's not always easy. Especially when egos become involved. Look at Bret Biliema at Wisconsin. He had a solid gig. He was putting up video game scores when Chryst was his OC. But he didn't feel like he ever got completely out from under the shadow of a legend. The first Alvarez found out about the Arkansas offer was after Bert had already accepted it. Oops! There was a clash of egos that Bert wasn't going to win.

Do you guys realize how dumb it sounds to raise a counter argument to KF's record number of wins by talking about a record number of losses? Good grief.
I never made that argument - it's a great thing to win 144 games, see my posts under 144. I'm super happy that we've had two good coaches back to back.

Latest posts