What are Fair Expectations for Adam Woodbury?

That wasn't my point at all.

Tyler Zeller came onto a NCAA champion team at UNC and was backing up Tyler Hansborough and Ed Davis.

Myers Leonard came in and Illinois had 2 senior big men with experience

Syracuse was coming off a #1 seed and had a pretty solid team returning

Vanderbilt had that big center Ogilvy and Jeff Taylor playing down low

UCONN was loaded with talent returning from the NCAA title team and Alex Oriakhi was back.

Adam Woodbury doesn't have anybody in front of him that has the experience or talent that those teams did. He's not fighting Tyler Hansborough for PT or guys that have 4 years experience playing D1 ball

My bad. I misunderstood your point.

jared was much more gifted athletically and more developed physically.
WHAT?Ill give you he was thicker and stronger but JR was about as unathletic as you can get. Dude could just barely dunk at 6'11.Woodbury can't jump either but he is much more mobile horizontally, (have you seen him hedge on screens and recover?)hes quicker and allot faster end to end. Maybe you're thinking of Sonderliter? he was allot more athletic than Rhiner.Rhiner was quite a bit more of a project than Woodbury IMO, all Woody really needs is to add strength specifically to his lower body.

reiner was a very good athlete in hs. i believe he held a black belt in takwondo. he was light on his feer and moved well. he was also much more explosive.

playing in eurpoe after three stints in the league. woody would be lucky to have that career.

Reiner never blocked shots; he developed into a good charge taking center which still ended up an asset. I do not remember him being athletic.
He also did not have Adam's obvious grit and instincts. I think Woodbury is a unique big man in that he is a basketball player who is tall; not a tall person who plays basketball.

I think we may be comparing freshmen Woodbury to senior Reiner. The Jarod Reiner I saw as a freshmen was a lot less valuable and effective than Courtney Scott (the 6'5" post).
Woodbury will never be a tremendous athlete but he will develop in that area. I think Marble and to some extent even McCabe show how a player's athleticism can change through strength training.

If you think PTL would speed up his learning then don't you think those other guys would have played in a similar league and would have had their learning curve helped out as well, but yet they ended up with those stats. Weren't the Zellers from Indiana? The summer leagues they would have played in would have been at least as good.

Woodbury will easily log at least 15 minutes per game without question. What he does with those minutes though I don't even want to try and predict. My optimistic side says 6/4, but big men definitely need time to adjust.

That wasn't my point at all.

Tyler Zeller came onto a NCAA champion team at UNC and was backing up Tyler Hansborough and Ed Davis.

Myers Leonard came in and Illinois had 2 senior big men with experience

Syracuse was coming off a #1 seed and had a pretty solid team returning

Vanderbilt had that big center Ogilvy and Jeff Taylor playing down low

UCONN was loaded with talent returning from the NCAA title team and Alex Oriakhi was back.

Adam Woodbury doesn't have anybody in front of him that has the experience or talent that those teams did. He's not fighting Tyler Hansborough for PT or guys that have 4 years experience playing D1 ball

Iowa has talent in the front court. Perhaps not the talent those guys had to deal with, but there is depth...and I don't care where they are; big men develop slower than other players. Just a fact.

WHAT?

Ill give you he was thicker and stronger but JR was about as unathletic as you can get. Dude could just barely dunk at 6'11..

I agree with Duff on this. Reiner was not a stumbling galoot at all. He had talent and was nationally rated about exactly like Woodbury coming out of HS.

iirc he was a taekwondo black belt, was an all state football player, and placed in some sort of national punt pass and kick thing too. ohh he could also throw a football over them mountains.

I agree with Duff on this. Reiner was not a stumbling galoot at all. He had talent and was nationally rated about exactly like Woodbury coming out of HS.

Never said he didn't have talent, he would have been a very good player his last two years if not for injuries. But he was, IMO, less athletic than Woodbury.

Neither one can jump at all but Woodbury is much more mobile while Reiner was thicker and stronger.

Woodbury is a definitely a more complete player at the same stage and also two inches taller.

That wasn't my point at all.Tyler Zeller came onto a NCAA champion team at UNC and was backing up Tyler Hansborough and Ed Davis. Myers Leonard came in and Illinois had 2 senior big men with experienceSyracuse was coming off a #1 seed and had a pretty solid team returningVanderbilt had that big center Ogilvy and Jeff Taylor playing down lowUCONN was loaded with talent returning from the NCAA title team and Alex Oriakhi was back.Adam Woodbury doesn't have anybody in front of him that has the experience or talent that those teams did. He's not fighting Tyler Hansborough for PT or guys that have 4 years experience playing D1 ball
Great point. Iowa has nothing for returning experience at the center position.McCabe is an undersized 4.

if mccabe is an undersized 4 then what does that make white and basabe? both are the same height as mccabe and much lighter.

Never said he didn't have talent, he would have been a very good player his last two years if not for injuries. But he was, IMO, less athletic than Woodbury.Neither one can jump at all but Woodbury is much more mobile while Reiner was thicker and stronger. Woodbury is a definitely a more complete player at the same stage and also two inches taller.

how old are you?

You could see the athleticism deficit in the HS Allstar games Woody played in. He needs to develop more explosiveness which I believe will come up a few levels. That being said, he's not a shrinking flower and he's physical. He understands he has to fight for position as that is what the low post is all about. I like his understanding of what it takes to play defense...he's just trying to adjust to a much different game. It will come.

One thing I'm excited about with Woody is that he can really run. Big men from other teams better be in shape because Fran is going to run them to death. If teams don't have depth, they are in big trouble. White, Basabe, Woodbury, Olesani, and McCabe can all run the floor. We are going to make other teams big people run the floor, and we will wear them down in a big way. I really like the way Fran is building this team. It's going to be fun to watch.

Herby's prediction:

BlackTarn wrote: I am going with 15 mpg, 4-5 ppg, 4-5 rpg and 1 bpg, anything more than that will be gravey

Another one that thinks Woody is going to be a shot blocker.

Latest posts