We're Not Really Beating Many Out

TheOnePercent

All of our recruits are from the Midwest. Basically we've beat out a few decent schools from the south which don't have a good chance anyways, and we've beaten out Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Purdue, Northwestern, and a plethora of Dakota/MAC schoosl.

Then we beat out Nebraska once. Other than that, none of our recruits have offers from Nebraska, Michigan, Michigan St, Penn St, Ohio St, Wisconsin. That's concerning....

Bazata - One other offer (South Dakota St.)
Gressel - Notable offers (West Virginia, Pittsburgh, N.C. State)
Harris - Notable offer (Illinois offered after he committed)
Hill - Notable offer (Illinois)
Kenney - Notable offers (Tennessee, Purdue, Mississippi)
Kenny - Notable offers (Arizona, Illinois, Purdue)
Mitchell - Notable offers (Nebraska, Kansas St)
Rucker - Notable offers (N.C. State, Illinois, Arizona St.)
Shimonek - None
Welsh - Notable offers (West Virginia, Miami (FL))
Goebel - Notable offers (Miami FL, Mississippi, Illinois)
Willies - None

We are getting these recruits early before other schools are even having the chance to offer. The coaching staff wouldn't be taking players this early if they weren't at or near the top of the list. I have faith that Ferentz and Co. are good at evaluating talent for their system. I'm sure as the year carries on, there will be more schools offering some of our verbals.

On a side note, I do understand where you are coming from. It would be nice to be beating out some big time programs for some highly touted recruits, but we just aren't at the level yet. Need to be competing and/or winning BIG championships year in and out.

I know that we haven't won 10 games on the field in a couple years, but honestly hasn't this staff proven they know how to recruit with the sheer amount of NFL players they have produced alone.

Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State all have 11 or more commits. Wisconsin and Michigan State have 7 and 8. They are offering other players... just not ours.

Many of their commits are players we've offered... The story isn't the same vice versa.

50% of Wisconsin's commits had an Iowa offer. 0% of Iowa's commits had Wisconsin offers.

4 of Nebraska's commits had an Iowa offer. 1 of Iowa's commits had a Nebraska offer.

Reflects out place in the world right now. We are not going to beat OSU/PSU/MI very often. So who cares about that. We should be able to compete with WI, Neb, and MSU. But MSU/WI are currently on a two-year high, and we dipped a little. The recruiting reflects that.

My guess also is WI and MSU are chasing some bigger fish, and we are scooping up the next crop before WI/MSU turn to them to fill out there class after they miss on a fair amount of bigger fish.

Ultimately to be competitive, we need to recruit middle of pack in Big 10, recruit players that fit our system, and keep players 4-5 years with little attrition. If we do that consistently, we will compete for the Legends title with some regularity.

Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State all have 11 or more commits. Wisconsin and Michigan State have 7 and 8. They are offering other players... just not ours.

Many of their commits are players we've offered... The story isn't the same vice versa.

50% of Wisconsin's commits had an Iowa offer. 0% of Iowa's commits had Wisconsin offers.

4 of Nebraska's commits had an Iowa offer. 1 of Iowa's commits had a Nebraska offer.
Is this your first rodeo? Look and see how many offers come in to prospects after they have been evaluated and offered by Iowa. It happens every year. I will offer a kid and sure enough the big boys come running. This is not new and it won't change. Iowa does an exceptional job of evalulating talent. We are not "Star Struck". Iowa builds football players that will end up in the NFL even if they have to play a different position once they get to Iowa. You may have been an average TE in HS but Iowa sees that if you can put on 50lbs of muscle, you will be a left tackle and maybe have better speed than most left tackles. It really doesn't matter who offers our prospects.

Ultimately to be competitive, we need to recruit middle of pack in Big 10, recruit players that fit our system, and keep players 4-5 years with little attrition. If we do that consistently, we will compete for the Legends title with some regularity.
That's one plus about getting all these guys that won't be too far from home: they are probably less likely to leave. Not that recruiting should be based on that.

Last edited:
Iowa is getting kids they have offered before seeing senior film. It means they think highly of them. Given their track record of player development, I like it.

All of our recruits are from the Midwest. Basically we've beat out a few decent schools from the south which don't have a good chance anyways, and we've beaten out Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Purdue, Northwestern, and a plethora of Dakota/MAC schoosl.

Then we beat out Nebraska once. Other than that, none of our recruits have offers from Nebraska, Michigan, Michigan St, Penn St, Ohio St, Wisconsin. That's concerning....

Bazata - One other offer (South Dakota St.)
Gressel - Notable offers (West Virginia, Pittsburgh, N.C. State)
Harris - Notable offer (Illinois offered after he committed)
Hill - Notable offer (Illinois)
Kenney - Notable offers (Tennessee, Purdue, Mississippi)
Kenny - Notable offers (Arizona, Illinois, Purdue)
Mitchell - Notable offers (Nebraska, Kansas St)
Rucker - Notable offers (N.C. State, Illinois, Arizona St.)
Shimonek - None
Welsh - Notable offers (West Virginia, Miami (FL))
Goebel - Notable offers (Miami FL, Mississippi, Illinois)
Willies - None

Dude, why don't you go root for Iowa State...there you can really get knee deep in how bad their recruiting class sucks. Oh wait, they haven't signed anyone yet. You will just have to wait.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AERUdh7flNA[/ame]

And why do you think the recruit having an offer from those schools is so special. We've beaten Michigan 3 Straight, owned PSU, and have split with everyone but OSU. We're doing ok with our recruiting strategy...Iowa wants these kids, or they would be waiting for others to make their decisions.

Okay first off Kirk is the man.

Next you have younger Kirk and Davis pumping a pulse into this program.

These kids can see that there are spots that if they play hard they can get 3+ years of playing time. Playing time is a big cookie.

I think it is awesome Iowa already has 12 commits for this class already, I cannot ever remember a time Iowa has ever had this many commits this early.

So maybe instead of going all out for those 5 star athletes that end up going somewhere else anyway the coaches have focused on snagging the talented 3 stars that end up elsewhere because Iowa offers to late.

I consider Iowa's coaches to be among the best in the nation at spotting talent, so I don't care what other schools have offered these players. Usually after Iowa offers somebody a bunch of schools follow. Since these commitments have happened quicker than usual it hasn't given other programs a lot of time to look at some of the recruits. This is all good from where I'm sitting.

I think a good solid group of mid west kids is what Iowa needs. There have been great players from all over come through Iowa but the heart and soul of the team needs good solid regional talent. It brings more players families to IC which gives the players some home comforts. The fact the people we are not getting are going to other B1G schools is kind of something that does not sit well with me but not enough to really panic about it.

All u guys that base your evaluations off of who ELSE offered a recruit must have forgot about guys like greenway, Clark, sanders,Roth, Steinbeck,STANZI, mcnutt, should I go on?

Latest posts