We're Not Really Beating Many Out

I could understand this if this was a concern when Kurt first started here, but it's different now. As stated before, we are going after who we want early, and I can't find fault with that. And these kids do have at least 1 solid offer, from us.

I'm sure a good number of us work with people that don't support Iowa, myself included being in Illinois. And, yes, they do look at the offer list like we all do. Nothing wrong with that. But they throw out an Iowa offer like it's a good thing. It isn't crazy that we offer before other big programs do this. Now, we aren't OSU, Alabama, or any other big school, but our record does not preclude us from being known as a good football school. When they see Iowa on the offer list, they mention it, and rightfully so.

As much as we all know how many Iowa boys get drafted and the lack of a great record to go along with it, I think we should be well-assured that we've been going after the right guys.

At least we're beating out mid level BCS schools. As a poster above said, if you think we're beating nobodies, check out ISU. The just got their 4th commit today. Only one, the JUCO, supposedly has a single BCS offer from Arkansas. Their latest pickup has the bottom half of the MAC after him.

I know that we haven't won 10 games on the field in a couple years, but honestly hasn't this staff proven they know how to recruit with the sheer amount of NFL players they have produced alone.

No, not really. The players getting drafted by the NFL more show how KF & staff have been able to manufacture NFL caliber talent. They haven't strived to recruit top players, but relied on their abilities to fit players to a position & manufacture their bodies to succeed at certain positions.

NorwalkHawk, 59th ranked tackle? Who cares who we beat out he is still good enough to be ranked. Also the JUCO had an offer from Texas Tech and Rivals is hardly ever aware of all known offers. Several recruits have more offers than are listed.

NorwalkHawk, 59th ranked tackle? Who cares who we beat out he is still good enough to be ranked. Also the JUCO had an offer from Texas Tech and Rivals is hardly ever aware of all known offers. Several recruits have more offers than are listed.

And the JUCO was supposedly an Iowa commit too...

:rolleyes:

Its about having what we want, not wanting what they got!

Who'd we beat out for marvin mcnutt? clark? sanders? stanzi?

Come on, everyone knows our coaches watch tape instead of hitting the refresh to see who's the newest rivals 5 star.

1% r u a new hawkeye fan or or a rival big ten GA trying to cast negativity on our beautiful recruiting momentum. (real question though)

I just hope our new coordinators on defense and offense can ramp it up to where we can start to be a 9 or more win team again on a regular basis. Then I will be smiling from cheek to cheek. I don't care if they do it with one star recruits just make it happen. To me it's all about good preparation, good coaching, and a lot of heart. Go Hawks Go!!!

No, not really. The players getting drafted by the NFL more show how KF & staff have been able to manufacture NFL caliber talent. They haven't strived to recruit top players, but relied on their abilities to fit players to a position & manufacture their bodies to succeed at certain positions.

Semantics. Iowa sees something it likes in those players, whether they are projects or not, and ships them to the NFL.

The staff knows how to get the players they want. That's what recruiting is.

Iowa is not a school that will consistently nab 5* talent. The sooner Hawk fans stop deluding themselves into believing the program is in that position, the sooner we can all keep our sanity.

Yawn.. Iowa's recruiting is fine right now. We have one of the best developmental staffs in the nation. Quit worrying, Nance.

Well I think they are a few factors for the star gazers.
1.) Not a huge five/four star class in state this year.
2.) Iowa has been very average the last couple of years. Osu Mich are Osu and Mich won't beat them to often in recruiting. Wisky has just been a better program last few years.
3.) Iowa has played boring football on offense and defense. Tough to draw kids at the skilled positions when your average and boring.

That being said Iowa is getting guys they have offered early which are guys they want it would be way more concerning if this was late January , but these kids haven't even played senior year yet.

Ps. Kurt can't be the man til he can use timeouts somewhat correctly and beat Minnesota.

there are only 34 prospects rated 5-Star so far this year on Scout. I think they normally have 50 so odds are low of getting one to begin with when most of them hail from FL, TX, CA, OH and Mich anyway (or south or East coast). There are in the neighborhood of 265 Four-stars though, and only one is from Iowa; Jake Campos. Only two 3-stars from Iowa so far but player evaluations are far from complete as camps are going on this summer.

I don't care who they recruit. I just want to see them come in with a chip on their shoulders work hard and become the bullies of the B1G again. I think Brian and Woods are going to help bring that back to Iowa.

There are in the neighborhood of 265 Four-stars though, and only one is from Iowa; Jake Campos. Only two 3-stars from Iowa so far but player evaluations are far from complete as camps are going on this summer.
Half of me says, "why can't we get a couple more of those 4* guys" and the other half says "look at what the staff has to deal with."

Iowa is not a school that will consistently nab 5* talent. The sooner Hawk fans stop deluding themselves into believing the program is in that position, the sooner we can all keep our sanity.

No one said they should, or even can.

I think we have a good staff, but I don't think you can find a dozen diamonds in the rough in every class. At some point, you're going to have to step out of the rough and look in the jewelry store. I have to tell you, patting ourselves on the back for a day in late April does not make up for watching us lose 5 Sundays in the fall.

I know that we haven't won 10 games on the field in a couple years, but honestly hasn't this staff proven they know how to recruit with the sheer amount of NFL players they have produced alone.

If the Iowa coaching staff can recruit or more likely mold 'pro-quality' players, maybe the lack of Iowa's success the last few years lies in the coaching staff. Granted, Iowa's coaching staff can get players ready for the pros but not ready,IMO, collegiately. I don't care if Iowa is a great farm team for pro football.

I also have concerns that Iowa is getting '3 star' talent because consistantly getting high rated recruits (higher than 3 star) guarantees the program maintains a higher level.

Last edited:
i am going to go on the belief that our coaches just identified these kids faster than the other big schools.

Latest posts