We're Not Really Beating Many Out

No, not really. The players getting drafted by the NFL more show how KF & staff have been able to manufacture NFL caliber talent. They haven't strived to recruit top players, but relied on their abilities to fit players to a position & manufacture their bodies to succeed at certain positions.

Honestly that’s fairly insulting to the kids…I know u probably don’t think it is and I don't even think you are necessarily trying to be. But when you are suggesting the “coaches” are manufacturing their talent you can‘t look at any other way. We are talking about multiple kids who left early. Multiple kids who played as frosh and true frosh and yet still, after having the 2nd most NFL kids in the Big 10 and like the 12th or 13th most in the nation, we are still complaining about our recruiting. Kind of hard to believe really….

Last edited:
Well I think they are a few factors for the star gazers.
1.) Not a huge five/four star class in state this year.
2.) Iowa has been very average the last couple of years. Osu Mich are Osu and Mich won't beat them to often in recruiting. Wisky has just been a better program last few years.
3.) Iowa has played boring football on offense and defense. Tough to draw kids at the skilled positions when your average and boring.

That being said Iowa is getting guys they have offered early which are guys they want it would be way more concerning if this was late January , but these kids haven't even played senior year yet.

Ps. Kurt can't be the man til he can use timeouts somewhat correctly and beat Minnesota.

This isn't really true and recent draft history doesnt bare it out either. From what I hear recruits and analysts say on a regular basis it appears the opposite is true.

Last edited:
If the Iowa coaching staff can recruit or more likely mold 'pro-quality' players, maybe the lack of Iowa's success the last few years lies in the coaching staff. Granted, Iowa's coaching staff can get players ready for the pros but not ready,IMO, collegiately. I don't care if Iowa is a great farm team for pro football.

I also have concerns that Iowa is getting '3 star' talent because consistantly getting high rated recruits (higher than 3 star) guarantees the program maintains a higher level.

Texas, Florida, FSU, Miami, ND, Michigan, tOSU, etc, etc, etc, etc......would all be examples that dispute this.

PS.....we are talking about recruiting....I clearly noted the on field results have been off. However the talent hasn't. Recruting is fine. It appears many of the recruting POWERS have been struggling on the field over the last several years and for that matter, they all have at some point in the last 20 years...badly to I might add. Surely you've noticed.

Last edited:
This thread got me thinking about the past....I know everyone gets tired of hearing about Bob Sanders and Dallas Clark so I just went back the last few years and grabbed the notable draftees or guys on camp rosters that are likely to make teams and their offers coming out of college. I threw in Dom Douglass, because outside of character issues he was a guy I was not overly impressed with coming out of high school, yet he walked in and competed at a high level right off. Proving I, and “we” know nothing and the staff clearly does. Now as I have noted we’ve had our share of on field trials of late and I personally feel we’ve lost a little of that Iowa mojo and focus, but clearly this staff knows how to recruit….

Shaun Prater…..ISU, Nebbie, Ohio

Mike Daniels….Temple

Allen Reisner…Iowa appears to be it.

Tyler Sash…ISU

Adam Gettis …ISU, Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan, Northern Illinois

Karl Klug….. Iowa appears to be it…

Amari Spievey…Rutgers and Wiscy (after us by the way)

Julian Vandervelde…Ball St, Stanford, Toledo, Cent Michigan

Rick Stanzi…Miami of Ohio, Purdue

Jeff Tarpinian..Colo St, ISU

Dom Douglass Cinncy, Bowling Green Eastern Michigan..

AJ Edds Ga Tech, Purdue

Pat Angerer…Indiana, ISU, Northern Ill

There are probably those I missed and obviously there are some who had a lot of nice offers that are in the NFL. But sadly there are many who had nice offers and aren’t as well.

Name the top 10 players for next season, ranking them is not necessary. This can be defined as Iowa's best 10 players, or biggest contributors, whatever you think.

Offense: JVB, Keenan Davis, CJF, Brandon Scherff, James Ferentz.
Defense: James Morris, Christian Kirksey, Micah Hyde, Nico Law
Special: Mike Meyer

You may disagree with me on many parts of this list, but this is just one prediction. You may question Meyer in particular, but I think he will impact the game in a huge way with his KO leg strength (a big time contributor).

according to scout.com, these guy's rankings and evaluations coming out of HS:

JVB: 3 star, 50th QB ranking. Other offers listed as Nebraska, Northern Illinois

Ferentz: 3 star, 6th C ranking. No other offers listed (makes sense)

Scherff: 3 star, ranked 55th OT. Offers from ISU, KU, KSU, Nebraska, Mizzou

Davis: 4 star, 18th WR ranking. Offers from ASU, Colorado, Illinois, KU, Nebraska, Oklahoma

Fiedorowicz: 4 star, 2nd TE ranking. Offers from ND, LSU, Wisconsin, Ohio St, Arizona, Illinois

Hyde: 2 star, not ranked (as a QB). Six other offers listed from MAC-like schools

Kirksey: 2 star, not ranked. No other listed offers

Morris: 3 star, ranked 32nd as LB. No other offers listed, unique case, probably impressive list of others.

Law: 4 star ranked 23rd as S. Offers from MSU, WVU, Rutgers, pretty good east coast programs, few big10

Meyer: Couldn't find, I think he walked on. (not ranked, no offers)

My point is that when you look at this list of players, it's a mixed bag of recruits. There are three 4* players that can be easily spotted for their size, talent and athletic ability (Davis, Law, CJF). But I argue that the other seven were not big-time recruits. Granted many teams wanted Scherff and JVB, but they weren't blue chippers. The defense is especially notable for it's lack of star-based talent. Hyde, Kirksey, and Morris are all good college defenders, and they weren't ranked highly.

We can look at the 2010 HS class and see the guys that are contributing and playing well for Iowa, many of them were not ranked highly. Tanner Miller was a 2*, KMM was a 2*, Don Shumpert (who I think should contribute) was a 1-2*. Marcus Coker (RIP) was a really good back while he was here and he was only a 3* with an unimpressive ranking.
The 2009 Orange Bowl team, the defense in particular, is the standard for Iowa and on-field talent. Look at the Defense on that team based on HS recruiting ranking.

Angerer 3*
Hunter 4*
Edds 4*
Tarpinian 2*
Troy Johnson 2*

Spievey 2*
Sash 3*
Greenwood (not found, walkon?)

Clayborn 4*
Klug 2*
Binns 3*
Ballard 4*

Now, the recruiting shows that those guys were talented and sought after. But, at the same time, there were no five stars, there were no borderline five stars. And they were one of the best D units in the nation.

Compare this 2009 list and the current top 10 list to the way the 2013 recruiting is going and I think everything is fine.

I didn't question the offer they gave to some random 2 star DB from Connecticut named Spievey then, and I'm not going to question the offers they are giving out now. I remember a few years ago when Kirksey and Shumpert committed somewhat 'together'. They were two intriguing, yet not highly sought after prospects from St. Louis. No one knew what position they would play, or could play, no one knew anything about them. I think we will see in these upcoming years that they are both really good players. The two recent commits from Missouri, Andre Harris and Mitchell Jr., lets just wait and see.

Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State all have 11 or more commits. Wisconsin and Michigan State have 7 and 8. They are offering other players... just not ours.

Many of their commits are players we've offered... The story isn't the same vice versa.

50% of Wisconsin's commits had an Iowa offer. 0% of Iowa's commits had Wisconsin offers.

4 of Nebraska's commits had an Iowa offer. 1 of Iowa's commits had a Nebraska offer.

Who gives a $hit.

How many offers did Bob Sanders, Robert Gallery, Dallas Clark, Tyler Sash, Adam Gettis, etc.....have when they came to Iowa? Well guess what, all these guys were drafted and didn't have a very impressive list of offers from other schools either.

Is this your first rodeo? Look and see how many offers come in to prospects after they have been evaluated and offered by Iowa. It happens every year. I will offer a kid and sure enough the big boys come running. This is not new and it won't change. Iowa does an exceptional job of evalulating talent. We are not "Star Struck". Iowa builds football players that will end up in the NFL even if they have to play a different position once they get to Iowa. You may have been an average TE in HS but Iowa sees that if you can put on 50lbs of muscle, you will be a left tackle and maybe have better speed than most left tackles. It really doesn't matter who offers our prospects.

+2++ Anyone on this board who doesn't understand what happens to Iowa recruits needs to have their head examined. Ferentz and his staff turn "ordinary athletes into "extra-ordinary" athletes. It's not what they come in with, it's what they go out with.

Who gives a $hit.

How many offers did Bob Sanders, Robert Gallery, Dallas Clark, Tyler Sash, Adam Gettis, etc.....have when they came to Iowa? Well guess what, all these guys were drafted and didn't have a very impressive list of offers from other schools either.

That's a ******** argument...

You know how I know that?

Ever go to senior day and you've NEVER HEARD of half the players?

You wanna build your team around 1 star athletes because we hit a couple grand slams? Well guess what, even the great Kirk ******* Ferentz - one of the great developers of talent in the game, one of the great eyes of unwanted talent, still is batting around .100 in this game.

You wanna build your team around 1 star athletes because we hit a couple grand slams? Well guess what, even the great Kirk ******* Ferentz - one of the great developers of talent in the game, one of the great eyes of unwanted talent, still is batting around .100 in this game.

Iowa develops players as well as any program in the nation...however, there are still more misses than hits at Iowa...the same as there is at elite programs...its just that when the elite programs miss, they have another blue chip waiting in the wings. Their margin for error and attrition is much greater than Iowa, which is why it's always going to be harder for Iowa to sustain 9 to 10 win seasons for a long period of time.

Thats why I only went back the last couple years...I know this is the response of the pooh-poohers. Plenty of successes still happening EVERY year.

You know, winning a National Championship or two would solve these recruiting issues we're stuck with.

Debatable.....it would probably help, but not as much as moving the state of Iowa into the heart of Texas. As Jon said the big boys have a plethora of 4 and 5 stars to back up their many misses and believe me when I say they have a lot…and yet they to struggle on the field from year to year.

Would it?

You know, winning a National Championship or two would solve these recruiting issues we're stuck with.

I'm not trying to be a smart-butt, but yes of course winning a national championship would certainly help recruiting. But it wouldn't change the fact that Iowa is in a state that doesn't produce much BCS-caliber talent annually. Nebraska has multiple national titles in its history and since 2000 Iowa has appeared in 2 BCS games to Nebraska's 1.

And I'm not saying Iowa shouldn't aspire to be great or to win championships. If you don't expect to compete at those levels, then don't participate. But there ARE obstacles for Iowa to being a perennial Top 10 team that simply don't exist at OSU, Michigan, PSU, Florida, LSU, Texas, USC. And even those schools with far greater advantages don't win EVERY year.

Debatable.....it would probably help, but not as much as moving the state of Iowa into the heart of Texas. As Jon said the big boys have a plethora of 4 and 5 stars to back up their many misses and believe me when I say they have a lot…and yet they to struggle on the field from year to year.

I think he was half joking, but if were assuming he wasn't. Uh yeah, it would make a pretty big difference.

I think he was half joking, but if were assuming he wasn't. Uh yeah, it would make a pretty big difference.

Holy snikes...really??!?! You may have noticed I said it likely would but how much...would we start signing 15 to 18…. 4 stars a year?

Latest posts