Wegher going to OK to play for Stoops

Ok, enough with these stupid rumors, here is the real deal on the Wegher thing:

Brandon wanted to live close to his baby, he wanted to play both safety and running back simultaniously, and he wanted to live closer to the home of his team mates sister that he was sleeping with. That sister, coincidentally, moved to Norman, while his baby was having asthma issues and needed to live in a drier climate, while simultaniously Oklahoma opened up an ironman competition. All of the pieces fit...

www.sportales.com/therealwegherstory

original.

In response to people talking about Wegher wanting to play safety and that being his ticket to the NFL...since when are 5'9" safeties in demand in the NFL? Bob Sanders is about it and his size has proven a detriment as well.

Furthermore...Wegher definitely NOT Bob Sanders!!

Good stuff Mike.

This clown acts like Wegher is/was no good, yet he holds rushing records after only playing one year.

Wegher wasn't very good. The guy only averaged 4.0 yards per carry, which is easily the worst among all the running backs that have had significant carries for the Hawks over the last 6 years.

OK, so everybody wants to pile onto Wegher. I do to..
I just don't agree. He had talent.
He had speed and hands. He had athleticism which is always in short supply at Iowa.

Maybe as RB. Maybe as safety. How about running back kickoffs and punts? Running the one end around each game?

i once openly doubted the 2 girls thing from wegher, until last night but i heard from a very reliable source that he did have a baby with his longtime gf. and got a 2nd girl pregnant and that girl was african american... they wouldnt confirm if that girl was also the sister of a former teammate who is also recently no longer with the team though

normally, i'd wish him luck. in this case, can't say i do.

I don't understand the whole "wish him luck" thing. When a player decides not to be a Hawkeye, what is the purpose of "wishing him luck"? Maybe that is just a way of saying "I have no ill will toward that player" which I can understand. But there are approximately 14400 FBS college football players that are not Hawkeyes, and although I certainly don't wish any of them "bad luck" (injuries, illness etc), I don't wish them "good luck" (tipped or fumbled balls falling right into their hands) either . I want the ball to bounce the Hawkeyes way.

Last edited:
Wegher wasn't very good. The guy only averaged 4.0 yards per carry, which is easily the worst among all the running backs that have had significant carries for the Hawks over the last 6 years.

How many of those were true freshman?

Of those you name, how many had 0 fumbles while carrying the ball that significant amount of times?

Of those who have made it through the first two criteria, how many set the freshman rushing TD mark, returned kicks, had a 30 yard BCS bowl game TD run, and caught balls out of the backfield with ease?

Your probably right, he wasn't that good.

Of those you name, how many had 0 fumbles while carrying the ball that significant amount of times?

Of those who have made it through the first two criteria, how many set the freshman rushing TD mark, returned kicks, had a 30 yard BCS bowl game TD run, and caught balls out of the backfield with ease?

Why are you so obsessed with Wegher? We had THREE running backs when we started camp in August that were better than Wegher.

Jewel, Robinson, and Coker.

I don't wish Wegher bad luck at Oklahoma, but he's going to need TONS and TONS of luck if he hopes to sniff the field at RB at Oklahoma.

Wegher going to Oklahoma to "sit on the bench" for Stoops.

Last edited:
Why are you so obsessed with Wegher? We had THREE running backs when we started camp in August that were better than Wegher.

Jewel, Robinson, and Coker.

I don't wish Wegher bad luck at Oklahoma, but he's going to need TONS and TONS of luck if he hopes to sniff the field at RB at Oklahoma.

Wegher going to Oklahoma to "sit on the bench" for Stoops.

Are you winning, or just playing?

zip your pants, this kock measuring contest is over. wegher moved on, dwell any longer on this and we may have to call maury or dr phil. We will be fine without him, he is going to a team that is projected to WIN the NT game next year, it was an upgrade for him. I think it is a great challenge for him, maybe he finally got his sh1t together. he has a better chance getting a ring long before any current player/current recriut ever will - think about that. Are you going to question Bob Stoops ability to evaluate talent? ask yourself when was the last non-juco transfer that you heard of going to OU? If there was one, it fell through my constant gaze on CFB day-in and day-out. this is an addition problem not some damn calculus equation, stop overthinking it.

Without getting into speculation about the personal reasons behind his departure from camp in August, is it enough to say the young man got himself into a bind (several, actually), needed some time and space to figure things out and, after talks with the Iowa staff, determined a change in scenery was best for all concerned?

farm"girl" - have you ever had a baby?

meh.ro5863.jpg

I don't understand the whole "wish him luck" thing. When a player decides not to be a Hawkeye, what is the purpose of "wishing him luck"? Maybe that is just a way of saying "I have no ill will toward that player" which I can understand. But there are approximately 14400 FBS college football players that are not Hawkeyes, and although I certainly don't wish any of them "bad luck" (injuries, illness etc), I don't wish them "good luck" (tipped or fumbled balls falling right into their hands) either . I want the ball to bounce the Hawkeyes way.

Well unless Iowa is playing Oklahoma in a bowl game they won't see them, so why not hope he does good at Oklahoma?

I don't understand the hatred as well, he wasn't coming back and Iowa has found their replacement in Coker, although as proven this year and years past having the depth with experience would be nice, but it is what it is and people just need to move on.

A number of them were true freshman, including Jewel Hampton and Marcus Coker.

As for fumbles, I'd much rather have a good running back that averages 5+ yard per carry and fumbles once in awhile than a bad running back that averages only 4 yards per carry and never fumbles.

IIRC, many or most of Wegher's TD's were via his 1-yard leap, which is not nearly as impressive as long runs for touchdowns (which was difficult for Wegher since he lacks break away speed and couldn't break tackles). Any running back can return kicks if asked. Wegher could catch balls which is why many thought he belonged in the slot.

So, yeah, he's not very good.

As for fumbles, I'd much rather have a good running back that averages 5+ yard per carry and fumbles once in awhile than a bad running back that averages only 4 yards per carry and never fumbles.

IIRC, many or most of Wegher's TD's were via his 1-yard leap, which is not nearly as impressive as long runs for touchdowns (which was difficult for Wegher since he lacks break away speed and couldn't break tackles). Any running back can return kicks if asked. Wegher could catch balls which is why many thought he belonged in the slot.

Why are we even discussing whether he was good or not?

He's G O N E.

HRkahws5969 - Don't waste your time arguing with imported_ankle. No sense arguing with him when his facts don't hold up.

Wegher fumbled in 2009. "Iowa turned it over again on its next possession when Brandon Wegher fumbled. The Wildcats recovered at the Hawkeye 42, but gave it back a few moments later when Persa was picked off in the end zone." - Saturday, November 7, 2009 Northwestern Wildcats - Iowa Hawkeyes Box Scores, Game Results & Summary - USATODAY.com

Latest posts