Wagner Leaves To Play Football

Enlighten me how this is a major success story by Fran. Please do.

I don't know who he's going to bring in, so I can't call it a success yet.

I'm just saying Fran's back is against a wall right now and I feel conversations with a few players have happened. Many players evaluate their situation at the end of the year. I'm not sure who initiated the conversation first between them, but, it's a little coincidental that two players have announced on the same day. Maybe Fran didn't initiate it, that is not the point and really doesn't matter.

If he saw potential in either player, he would have voiced that to them and them know he really wouldn't want to see them leave. I'm not saying it's a one way road between player and coach, it usually never is. I just feel that McCaffery probably had a real heart-to-heart with them about their potential role or playing time going forward.

It's not, but would rather another year of BE and AW or move on with the ships to other places of need?
1. The scholarship has not been used on a better player yet, so that’s all just hearsay at this point.

2. You can’t play 12 guys successfully at this level anyway which was part of our problem this year. Adding another guy to the mix doesn’t fix that problem. Wagner has experience at this level, is athletic and plays hard, which are all welcome things to me. Even if he’s not in the rotation he’s a good guy to have around.

I’m happy for him that he’s going the football route and wish him the best.

You are putting the cart before the horse here calling this a success by Fran. What if we give Brady’s scholarship to Connor and bank Ahmad’s? Is this still a major success. How about this, when Fran actually lands an impact guy, then you can come on here singing his praises?... I’ll be right there with you.

I’m okay with that what you say above. I’m sure Fran was involved in the conversation, that’s good. I don’t question that Fran cares about theses kids.

I’m just confused how a guy going into his 4th year of basketball at your school leaving to play a different sport is some sort of success for the basketball coach.

It could be a success if Wagner ends up being good as a TE.

Trying to follow the J Graham, A Gates and T. Gonzalez path to the NFL. A long shot but why not give it a try?

He's got the size. In addition, he has some talent to go along with it since he was being recruited to play both and chose basketball. One year to show yourself is tough, though. Good luck to him.

Another year of one scholarship senior on the roster-and it's a former walk on. Good golly miss Molly.

Moss is the only one still on the team from the six player recruiting class of 2015-16.

Grad transfers-now! Do not want to see another four or five player freshman class.

Yes, go get yourself an experienced, seasoned true PG and fill that need. Grad transfers or JC transfers are to fill immediate needs on a team. This is that situation. Need quality depth at said position.

Good lord we just had 5 months of talking about how we wanted BE and AW to move on and now they do and now it’s a bad thing because Fran hasn’t replaced them yet

I’m okay with that what you say above. I’m sure Fran was involved in the conversation, that’s good. I don’t question that Fran cares about theses kids.

I’m just confused how a guy going into his 4th year of basketball at your school leaving to play a different sport is some sort of success for the basketball coach.

It's just the fact he's opening up a scholly for a position of need. Still can't say is a success until see who fills it though.

1. The scholarship has not been used on a better player yet, so that’s all just hearsay at this point.

2. You can’t play 12 guys successfully at this level anyway which was part of our problem this year. Adding another guy to the mix doesn’t fix that problem. Wagner has experience at this level, is athletic and plays hard, which are all welcome things to me. Even if he’s not in the rotation he’s a good guy to have around.

I’m happy for him that he’s going the football route and wish him the best.

You are putting the cart before the horse here calling this a success by Fran. What if we give Brady’s scholarship to Connor and bank Ahmad’s? Is this still a major success. How about this, when Fran actually lands an impact guy, then you can come on here singing his praises?... I’ll be right there with you.

Good point on #2. I was going to state something similar as well. There were 3 issues with this years team. Lack of quality PG depth, too large of a rotation which points to your #2 point, and bad team defense.

I can get getting crossed on player recruits and a positions once-in-awhile as that can happen, especially with injuries or players leaving.

Iowa had enough offense but the bad team defense is alarming and is on coaching. Also, the large rotation is as well. You can load up a roster with 12 great players, but giving most a handful of minutes a game doesn't bring consistency so that is on the coaches decision as well.

So, they can bring in 2 players to fill the void, but if the two coaching decisions above are not corrected it is not going to change.

Good point on #2. I was going to state something similar as well. There were 3 issues with this years team. Lack of quality PG depth, too large of a rotation which points to your #2 point, and bad team defense.

I can get getting crossed on player recruits and a positions once-in-awhile as that can happen, especially with injuries or players leaving.

Iowa had enough offense but the bad team defense is alarming and is on coaching. Also, the large rotation is as well. You can load up a roster with 12 great players, but giving most a handful of minutes a game doesn't bring consistency so that is on the coaches decision as well.

So, they can bring in 2 players to fill the void, but if the two coaching decisions above are not corrected it is not going to change.
I hope he brings in a BIG quality guard.

Talk about an about time kinda moment. Does the football team have any schollies open? KF should be fired if he don't give this kid a shot. I know TE is pretty crowded but put him at WR. What the heck do we have to lose? Even if he's just a redzone jump ball receiver put him for those situations. Not much coaching is needed for see ball go get ball.

And Dom Uhl?
I think Dom knew exactly what to expect this season, and must have been ok with it. I don’t think Fran straight up kicks guys out, but I’m sure they give nudges and advice. Still don’t know of a major contributor that’s left Fran at Iowa

Last edited:
Good lord we just had 5 months of talking about how we wanted BE and AW to move on and now they do and now it’s a bad thing because Fran hasn’t replaced them yet
I see after responding 5 times to me in about 10 minutes you decided not to anymore after being stumped. And now you’re completely changing the argument.

Nobody said this was a bad thing. But I called you out for inferring that this was some sort of home run for Fran.

Again I’ll ask. How would losing two guys that barely got minutes and replacing them with two new players supposedly fix one of our issues this year which was playing way too many guys?

Here’s another question. Are we really going to take on two grad transfers this offseason? If not and we only get let’s say one grad transfer, how does that make Ahmad Wagner leaving some sort of success? We already had the scholarship for a grad transfer with Brady leaving, which almost everyone knew was a foregone conclusion even before this season began. Wagner would have been a senior next year so it really doesn’t matter.

It was a stupid remark and you got called on it, simple as that.

Latest posts