Wagner Leaves To Play Football

Look, I laugh at people who say Fran should pay for Connor to play so we can bring in another player. Open spots are good if you need the help but I couldn't imagine 2 transfers. Connor is getting one of those. I did say having more open spots on a team that went 4-14 is better then no open spots, but I don't think Iowa is going to go out and try and field another team here, just that these departures open the door. \
So this is what I have been saying literally this entire thread. Ellingson scholarship can be used to pursue a grad transfer guard. I don’t know if the Wagner departure is a good or bad thing for the program, probably just a wash. I wouldn’t have minded keeping a senior who has been to the tournament and by all accounts is a great locker room guy. I’m happy for Ahmad though.

Just because Dailey's best game was in December didn't make him as consistent as he was in February. He clearly made strides as the season progressed...and again, he tried to help back up the 1 due to necessity. That kind of changed his minutes for the 3. I know it's en vogue to say "the coaching staff didn't recognize" this or that in hindsight and from our keyboards. But chances are they did recognize that but were forced to lay in the bed they made. That all started with their off-season last year. Me saying that is not defending Fran or the bad coaching job he did this season but at the same time I know that these guys have coached enough basketball and know more about it then anyone on this board. They recognized it, they did a poor job addressing it with the options available to them.

We have 13 scholarships - just like every other school, so we need that many players. We should ALWAYS be trying to recruit guys that are better then our current guys. That's kind of the name of the game. We were not good enough at the 1-2 or 3 this season, so Iowa has to get better at those spots as quickly as possible. How do you attain that? Better players through openings or developing what you have. If those players aren't out there, there's little that can be done. But they are out there with the current transfer market in this sport. Can Iowa get them? I don't honestly know, but I feel confident that they will try. Why am I confident in them trying? Because space has already been cleared. Because Iowa just went 4-14 in the B1G. I am positive that Iowa has targets in mind for those spots - and they are trying to fill it. Connor probably gets 1, and I honestly think there is at least 1 more departure. .The question I can't really answer is "will they work out or be an upgrade"... cause I don't know, and either does anyone else. But to stay put with something that has proven didn't work is IMO -that's a problem.

Remember when Fran didn't recruit Monte Morris who was handed to him on a silver platter because he didn't want to recruit over Sapp and Mike.

I would like a grad transfer PG - so that allows Jordan to be the primary ball handler at least to start the year, but gives more options to move him to the 2 as Connor and TBD grad transfer work their game up for minutes. It would also free him up and give Iowa more opportunities to be able to rest Jordan in spurts. Something they just couldn't do this year. I'm sorry that you don't think Cmac is good enough, he's currently our 2nd or 3rd highest rated recruit on the team so I am willing to at least give him more then 4 games in an injury/illness plagued year before I completely cast him off completely. I also know you believe that he was only ranked highly because of his Dad and I firmly think that is false as well. But, this is old news we're re-hashing - but I will say this, if you are right about CMac and if he is as sub par as you say, then I DEFINITELY want another 1 in some sort of capacity for next season or we're torched.

I also would like to see a grad transfer PG. However, at this time of the ones who can transfer and play right away the pickings are pretty slim. The highest rated guy (out of high school, that is) is Tre Campbell (3 or 4 star, depending upon the service) from Georgetown. However, he was in an auto accident and may have to sit out a year anyway. There are a glut of 2 stars.

You can see them all at Verbal Commits, and even sort the results by position.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2018

How was he handed to Fran on a silver platter?

http://www.mlive.com/sports/flint/index.ssf/2012/11/flint_native_former_iowa_baske.html

fc6a5b2078f4790f815ddc680ca27052.jpg

So what you are saying is that Morris was a lock to Iowa, but Fran said no? Any quotes from Morris that ever stated he would have liked to have been a Hawkeye? Just curious, I know Roy Sr helped him, not a secret, any validation to your statement he would have been a Hawkeye?

No. Did you read the article? It was pretty obvious we would have had the inside track on him but Fran passed. Instead we only took one scholarship player in Jok when we should have taken two of three instead of going into Jok's freshman year with an open scholarship and Kyle Meyer still on the roster. Instead we got the strong 3 man class of Dickerson, Uhl and Ellingson the following year!

No. Did you read the article? It was pretty obvious we would have had the inside track on him but Fran passed. Instead we only took one scholarship player in Jok when we should have taken two of three instead of going into Jok's freshman year with an open scholarship and Kyle Meyer still on the roster. Instead we got the strong 3 man class of Dickerson, Uhl and Ellingson the following year!

It's not pretty obvious to me, which is why I asked if you have an article where Morris had ever mentioned Iowa and the probability that he would have went to Iowa, since he was "handed on a silver platter." Provide me some evidence and not opinion, if I remember correctly, he did visit Iowa the same weekend he visited ISU, but I will research that in a few.

no and that's a pretty dumb narrative. I suppose he didn't want to recruit over Cook so he passed on Nunge and Garza.

Marble, of course, would have loved to see Morris go to his Alma mater, but that situation wasn’t in the cards. Iowa coach Fran McCaffrey did not need a point guard after signing two talented players at that position in his previous recruiting class -- one of which was former Lansing Sexton star Anthony Clemmons.

That bolded part is pretty funny looking back at it actually.

It does make a lot of sense. No person in their right mind would actually want to play for Iowa State. It’s clear that Morris was just a robot of Roy Marble’s who would do whatever he said...:p

I see what you are saying but it can't be both, He can't be accused of being a bad recruiter and a bad coach at the other places. He has taken 4 different teams to the NCAA which not many other coaches have done. I get what you say about not being at a certain school long enough to evaluate his recruiting, which is a legitimate point and give you credit for thinking outside the box. Nice point. But, he has shown he can take players that are not his recruits and win with them which shows good coaching.

Who is Fran McCaffery? A paradigm? Which is it, is he a bad recruiter or bad coach? Hasn't proven to be both at the other schools who were "Cinderella" teams, as he has proven he can coach. This is why this last year feels like such an anomaly.

I guess what I was mainly pointing out was that he has not managed his recruiting very well as far as balancing his recruiting classes. It could be debated that since that is a main part of being a head coach that, that in and of itself could cause him to be classified as a poor coach, despite the fact that he can put together teams with good offensive ability. You have to remember that coaching defense is just as important as coaching offense. So here you have a coach that thus far has shown a tremendous lack of being able to coach defense and also not balancing his recruiting classes to match the players that are leaving. I believe for many that would over all classify him as a poor coach or average at best.

We also have to remember that he has shown he can win at the mid-major level within their own conferences. The problem we have with Fran is that once he got to the NCAA tournament he got knocked out of the tournament immediately. This suggest that the conferences he won at were weak. Kinda like Butler. Sure they win their conference on a regular basis but they don't last long once they are in the tournament..................... with the exception of a couple of years where the chips fell just right. Exceptions will happen but the team needs to win on a consistent basis before a program can be classified as being a legitimate NCAA level program.

Look I am not throwing Fran into the garbage disposal just yet. Let's see how or if he bounces back next year. If he does well then we will have to give him credit and just write this past season off as a re-building year. If he produces similar result next season as he did this past season then Fran has to go.................................. contract be damned. If Cook leaves I'll put my money on "CONTRACT BE DAMNED".

Last edited:
Some of you forty and fifty something's may remember that Kent Hill tried out for the football team as a tight end in 1984 or 1985. He broke his hand in the first practice and that was that. He was listed at about 6'6" 225, perfect tight end size.

He went out with the intention of playing on the defensive side of the ball. I remember going to our PE (tennis) class the next Tuesday and seeing the cast on his hand. I groaned and shook my head and he started laughing. He fell backward and caught himself and turned his wrist "wrong".

BTW, as a tennis player, he hit about six balls--per class--out onto Melrose from the old Fieldhouse courts!

So...I'm not going to read through 11 pages, but does anyone know if Wagner is staying at Iowa to play or transferring. I don't see any playing time, unless it's WR...and he's pretty large for a WR...No doubt he could get up to 240 to play TE though. He won't see the field here at TE though.

So...I'm not going to read through 11 pages, but does anyone know if Wagner is staying at Iowa to play or transferring. I don't see any playing time, unless it's WR...and he's pretty large for a WR...No doubt he could get up to 240 to play TE though. He won't see the field here at TE though.
No he hasn't decided I don't think he's put a time table on it. And yeah if he stays I think he'd be a BIG WR for us. Lean him down to 225ish get him in football shape and watch him just go Randy Moss on folks out there. Use him as a hybrid in 3 TE formations put him in motion and get LBs matched up on him... BF hopefully hasn't slept since this news came out and is just drawing up a million different ways to use a kid like him.

Still deciding ...

No he hasn't decided I don't think he's put a time table on it. And yeah if he stays I think he'd be a BIG WR for us. Lean him down to 225ish get him in football shape and watch him just go Randy Moss on folks out there. Use him as a hybrid in 3 TE formations put him in motion and get LBs matched up on him... BF hopefully hasn't slept since this news came out and is just drawing up a million different ways to use a kid like him.

My guess is on the football field he won't "be" 6'7". Height is "adjustable" by sport!

I'm not sure why it's so hard to understand the situation we have with the McCaffery boys being able to walk on. Next year, if we only have 2 scholarships to offer, we actually have 4. It doesn't mean we have to take 4. It means if we find a 3rd and 4th guy we like, we don't have to turn them down because we have options.

My guess is on the football field he won't "be" 6'7". Height is "adjustable" by sport!
True yeah it's hard telling. Moss is listed at 6'5 and for what it's worth seeing them stand next to each other Wagner has him beat. But if he's really 6'3 it's just all relative. No matter how you slice it Wagner will be 4 or more inches taller than anyone out there defending him pretty much