Wadley

Oh wow. Which position is LD going to play in the pros? Maybe the head coach in Buffalo will draft him, too?...At least, KF (and ArvadaHawk) will give any NFL organization a glowing recommendation of LD as a running back...How long will it take LD to learn a new position in the pros?

I don't know if LD will make an NFL team as a running back because there is tons of competition, and he might not have the well-rounded skill set that most teams seek. But he is a heck of a college RB, and a really good athlete. What are you using to conclude that he lacks athleticism? It certainly isn't his lack of long runs this year (I have included Wadley's big runs below too just to show how many big running plays the Hawks have generated this year: I arbitrarily chose 30+ yards as a "big run"):
  • Miami: LD 43 yd TD run; AW long of 38 (no TD)
  • ISU: LD 43 yd TD run
  • NDSU: LD 63 yd TD run (called back)
  • Rutgers: LD 75 yd TD run (called back)
  • NW: neither back could get anything going, LD has 17 for 72, AW has 14 for 35
  • Minn: LD long of 31, AW 54 yd TD
  • Purdue: LD 67 yd run (no TD), AW 75 yd TD
  • Wisc: no big runs for either, they both had 10 carries
  • PSU: no big runs for either, LD had 10 carries, AW had 9
  • Mich: no big runs for either, LD had 14 touches to AW 28
  • Ill: LD 50 yd TD run
  • Nebraska: LD 56 yds (no TD), AW 75 yd TD
I might have missed some, these are the ones that jumped out of the box scores.

So on the season, Daniels has had 8 runs of 30+ (I am counting the 2 called back for penalty), and 5 runs of 50+. Wadley has had 4 runs of 30+, and 3 runs of 50+ (obviously he has had fewer chances). In combination, that is 8 runs of 50+ for our backfield.

But back to your point, how do you explain 5 runs of 50+ yards by someone you claim is unathletic?

I didn't read this whole thread but it shouldn't be Daniels bashing, LD is really good, but Wadley clearly has more upside potential. Hopefully he is given the opportunity to showcase it next year

Oh wow. Which position is LD going to play in the pros? Maybe the head coach in Buffalo will draft him, too?...At least, KF (and ArvadaHawk) will give any NFL organization a glowing recommendation of LD as a running back...How long will it take LD to learn a new position in the pros?

Dude, your response doesn't even relate to what I posted. If you don't think LD is a NFL back, that's fine. Give your counter argument. But your response sounds a bit deranged in relationship to what I posted.

Last edited:
They just didn't do enough in practice. And I'm being serious. That's how you play for KF, you have to be mistake free on the practice field to see the playing field.

The only way you lose your spot is to injury. The exception to that rule is KOK fighting for you, or a star player threatening to leave, and probably have others follow him (CJB, though to be fair, his star has dimmed in 2016)

It's frustrating as @#%#% to see the same players play every snap. We barely substitute, and it's part of the reason why our defense fades at the end of games. They're gassed.

Faith, Manny, Gair, and a few others really stepped up. JJ also seemed more inspired later this year.

That is the ay it is in most college programs - you don't perform in practice you don't play.

I think the replacement of the starters on defense is given more credit than it probably deserves. I think you last sentence on Johnson playing more inspired has more to do with the defense's success at the end of the season. But I wouldn't say it was just Johnson that was playing better. I think Hesse really stepped it up the last 3 games, and Bower played the best 3 games of his career the last 3 weeks. The defense was embarrassed by PSU and from top to bottom it looked like they refused to let it happen again.

Some more LD/AW comparisons:
Total touches: LD 206 (198 carries, 8 rec); AW 178 (146 carries, 32 rec)
Total yards: LD 1080 (1013 rush, 67 rec); AW 1260 (966 rush, 294 rec)
Total TDs: LD 10 (all rush); AW 13 (10 rush, 3 rec)
Yds per touch: LD 5.2; AW 7.1
Touches per TD: LD 20.6; AW 13.7
Carries per 30+ yd run: LD 34; AW 36.5

So Daniels touched the ball 28 more times, or about 2.3 times more per game. Wadley played sparingly vs. NDSU due to injury, which probably accounts for much of the difference.

Also interesting to note that both players broke off a big run (arbitrarily defined as 30+) at almost the exact same rate (about once every 35 carries).

As I noted in the post above, LD lost 2 carries and 135 yds on two pretty questionable penalties during the season. While all offensive players will lose some stats to penalties during the season, that was exceptionally unlucky, and with those 2 plays LD's stats would look even more impressive (would then have a 30+ yd run once every 25 carries). Iowa would also be 9-3 and not have a loss to NDSU on its record if not for those 2 unfortunate lost plays. If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts...

Dude, your response doesn't even relate to what I posted. If you don't think LD is a NFL back, that's fine. Give your counter argument. But your response sounds a bit deranged in relationship to what I posted.
Do you care about the quality of Iowa football or not? Do you care about the quality of Iowa athlete or not?

Many on this forum have pointed to the similarity of Iowa's offensive line schemes to the pros and how that is attractive to pro-potential OLinemen coming to Iowa.

The same can be said (or not said) about the pro-potential of running backs coming to Iowa if the Iowa running back routinely runs the 40 in approximately 4.9 seconds and can't catch the ball. The same can be said (or not said) about the pro-potential of the Iowa cornerback that mostly uses zone. The same can be said (or not said) about the pro-potential of the Iowa QB that is always considered a game manager. The Iowa Defensive ends, can they even sack the QB?

A high quality athlete that doesn't think they are able to show their athletic ability on the playing field to pro scouts will go somewhere else. It's all about recruiting. Is there any doubt why KF continually has recruiting classes filled with 2* athletes?

It's all about making the offense more potent. Throw in some gadget plays, some quick strikes some plays with multiple things going on. Throw to the tailback. Hand the ball off to the fullback. Change things up.

It's all about making the defense more potent. Man-to-man defense on occasion. Linebackers with athletic ability and quit having linebackers cover the slot with traditionally athletic Iowa linebackers.

I didn't read this whole thread but it shouldn't be Daniels bashing, LD is really good, but Wadley clearly has more upside potential. Hopefully he is given the opportunity to showcase it next year

Honest question. Would he start for any of the top 4 teams by ranking in conference? Wadley, yes I would guess. Daniels?

Do you care about the quality of Iowa football or not? Do you care about the quality of Iowa athlete or not?

Many on this forum have pointed to the similarity of Iowa's offensive line schemes to the pros and how that is attractive to pro-potential OLinemen coming to Iowa.

The same can be said (or not said) about the pro-potential of running backs coming to Iowa if the Iowa running back routinely runs the 40 in approximately 4.9 seconds and can't catch the ball. The same can be said (or not said) about the pro-potential of the Iowa cornerback that mostly uses zone. The same can be said (or not said) about the pro-potential of the Iowa QB that is always considered a game manager. The Iowa Defensive ends, can they even sack the QB?

A high quality athlete that doesn't think they are able to show their athletic ability on the playing field to pro scouts will go somewhere else. It's all about recruiting. Is there any doubt why KF continually has recruiting classes filled with 2* athletes?

It's all about making the offense more potent. Throw in some gadget plays, some quick strikes some plays with multiple things going on. Throw to the tailback. Hand the ball off to the fullback. Change things up.

It's all about making the defense more potent. Man-to-man defense on occasion. Linebackers with athletic ability and quit having linebackers cover the slot with traditionally athletic Iowa linebackers.

Seriously, you're going to use Iowa defensive backs as part of your rant? I have my beefs around recruiting, but that's quite a stretch.

Honest question. Would he start for any of the top 4 teams by ranking in conference? Wadley, yes I would guess. Daniels?
I'd say Daniels reminds me of an Alabama tailback. Not too athletic. Powerfully built. Has great O-Lines to run behind. Of course, Alabama has the great O-Line and great defense that Iowa doesn't possess.

If Iowa had the defense of Alabama or, let's say Wisconsin, I'd definitely be happy with Wisconsin's offense.

Last edited:
Seriously, you're going to use Iowa defensive backs as part of your rant? I have my beefs around recruiting, but that's quite a stretch.
I think the stretch is that Iowa can't recruit because of the dearth of exceptional Iowa high school athletes, geography and things to do in Iowa. Iowa can't recruit because of KF's system.

In re to Daniels v Wadley and starting. In Banks jr year I did the stats. Iowa scored on 1/3 of their possessions. With Banks in the game they score on 2/3 of the possessions and didn't start because he "wasn't ready".

KF kept a Heisman runner up from starting.

OK. I'm confused here. Earlier this thread was comparing the running back tandems of Sedrick Shaw / Tavian Banks to LeShun Daniels / Akrum Wadley. And you shift gears to Brad Banks?

OK. I'm confused here. Earlier this thread was comparing the running back tandems of Sedrick Shaw / Tavian Banks to LeShun Daniels / Akrum Wadley. And you shift gears to Brad Banks?

It was in Re to KFs ability to play lesser players over better players. Therefore Banks/McCann. Sorry for the confusion.

Wadley might actually be better at yac.

You are correct. At least up to and including the Michigan game. According to DM Register reporter Chad Leistikow's column on Nov. 16, Pro Football Focus had Wadley #1 in the Big Ten with 4.3 yards after contact. Think about that the next time KF whines about AW's durability. Not sure if Wadley ended the season #1.

In Leistikow's column that day, he also brings up KF's insistance on constantly bringing up AW's weight; even in the postgame comments after Akrum saved KF's bacon against Michigan. Akrum touched the ball on 80% of Iowa's snaps that game. Leistikow points out someone trusted Akrum THAT game and again questions KF's obsession with Wadley's weight. He even quotes Kirk Herbstreit - "I don't know how much weight he needs when he can move like that."

This reminds me of KF's immediate response to Ed Podolak's postgame question asking him to comment on CJ's play in the 2014 win against Pitt. A breakout game for CJ; again saving KF's bacon with his individual play. KF- "At least he played better than he practiced this week." You could tell Eddie was taken aback.

Why does KF have to be such an entrenched, stubborn, egotistical D*** at times?? It is pretty obvious to me that KF's rigid attitude carries over to his personnel beliefs. Once a player earns a starting nod it is very hard for backups to get any traction. *See our fullback who was a starting tailback for 2 1/2 years. *See our backups on the defensive side of the ball this year who clearly gave us a spark at the end of the season IMO.

I always wonder how a less rigid, more flexible KF would take this program to greater heights. ??

Recruiting policies; personnel decisions; the inability to adjust on the fly only to wait until the end of the season to reevaluate; unwillingness to cut loose assistants who aren't performing well...

I give the players credit for turning their season around. Josey Jewell and a couple of other players were quoted in the papers today that the comments by Penn St rb Saquon Barkley lit a fire in them. They clearly rededicated themselves.

Last edited:
You are correct. At least up to and including the Michigan game. According to DM Register reporter Chad Leistikow's column on Nov. 16, Pro Football Focus had Wadley #1 in the Big Ten with 4.3 yards after contact. Think about that the next time KF whines about AW's durability. Not sure if Wadley ended the season #1.

In Leistikow's column that day, he also brings up KF's insistance on constantly bringing up AW's weight; even in the postgame comments after Akrum saved KF's bacon against Michigan. Akrum touched the ball on 80% of Iowa's snaps that game. Leistikow points out someone trusted Akrum THAT game and again questions KF's obsession with Wadley's weight. He even quotes Kirk Herbstreit - "I don't know how much weight he needs when he can move like that."

This reminds me of KF's immediate response to Ed Podolak's postgame question asking him to comment on CJ's play in the 2014 win against Pitt. A breakout game for CJ; again saving KF's bacon with his individual play. KF- "At least he played better than he practiced this week." You could tell Eddie was taken aback.

Why does KF have to be such an entrenched, stubborn, egotistical D*** at times?? It is pretty obvious to me that KF's rigid attitude carries over to his personnel beliefs. Once a player earns a starting nod it is very hard for backups to get any traction. *See our fullback who was a starting tailback for 2 1/2 years. *See our backups on the defensive side of the ball this year who clearly gave us a spark at the end of the season IMO.

I always wonder how a less rigid, more flexible KF would take this program to greater heights. ??

Recruiting policies; personnel decisions; the inability to adjust on the fly only to wait until the end of the season to reevaluate; unwillingness to cut loose assistants who aren't performing well...

I give the players credit for turning their season around. Josey Jewell and a couple of other players were quoted in the papers today that the comments by Penn St rb Saquon Barkley lit a fire in them. They clearly rededicated themselves.

At a presser not too long ago he says, "Well I guess we have more depth than I thought" in response to a query about stand-out play from backups. Basically insulting the second-teamers as well as his own evaluation skillz.

At a presser not too long ago he says, "Well I guess we have more depth than I thought" in response to a query about stand-out play from backups. Basically insulting the second-teamers as well as his own evaluation skillz.

It is not shocking to me at all that he is quoted as saying that.

Look, KF obviously has strengths. But he is far from a creative football mind or an evaluater of talent. He seems supicious of the exceptionally talented player actually. He is an offensive line coach (who got extremely lucky because of either an incompetent or handcuffed Bob Bowlsby) who seemingly knows little beyond the line of scrimmage but exerts his lack of knowledge nonetheless. The proof is there. Very few skilled players at the next level.

I predicted 8-4. Not this route obviously. I have NEVER been a KF fan. NEVER understood the apologists. I was pumped after the Michigan upset, and the beatdown of Nebby. And the players bust their ass, day in and day out, and it must be hard when your coach seemingly concedes the first month of every season treating it like an NFL preseason or fails to put you in a position to win. And one who seemingly requires you to self-motivate for an entire 12 game schedule.

So I wake up every morning with the realization that 'Barta the Boob' gave him a SECOND lifetime contract. Still in shock on that one. 1 or 2 year extensions keeping him under contract 5-6 years out made more sense IMO. And without the massive buyout. Good grief.

At least up to and including the Michigan game. According to DM Register reporter Chad Leistikow's column on Nov. 16, Pro Football Focus had Wadley #1 in the Big Ten with 4.3 yards after contact....
Why does KF have to be such an entrenched, stubborn, egotistical D*** at times??...
Why, that's why he's Kurt Ferentz.

I give the players credit for turning their season around. Josey Jewell and a couple of other players were quoted in the papers today that the comments by Penn St rb Saquon Barkley <about Iowa quitting, about Iowa's bad defense> lit a fire in them. They clearly rededicated themselves.
IMO, Iowa's defense just ran into 3 straight putrid offenses (Michigan, Illinois and Nebraska), or, at least, offenses that were injured and one dimensional (one dimensional, think KF's preferred offense) or Michigan's offense that went right at the Iowa defense's strong points all night long. That obliviously was bad coaching.

Last edited:

Latest posts