Wadley

Come on guys. Do you ever pay attention to what other D 1 teams do with running backs these days? One guy simply cannot take the pounding week after week. You would be seriously placing them at risk of injury, or at least a downturn in effectiveness as the game goes along. Harbaugh (who I cannot stand, btw) uses 4 running backs regularly, just as one of many examples.

Akrum is a great running back, no doubt. But the argument that he does not get hit hard very often due to his skill set is just plain false. Watch a couple of games on your DVR and you will see the truth of the matter. The change up that teams we play have to face is a real strength for our run game. And, news flash, LeShun is one very fine running back. His speed is under rated (see long gains this year). I also noticed from re-watching Michigan vs Iowa and Nebr vs Iowa that later in the game, the defenses did not want anything to do with LeShun.

Full disclosure on my part: I do not believe that there are ulterior motives on the part of KF when it comes to determining who plays and how much. First, I have been around enough coaching staffs to know that position coaches make 99% of the decisions as to playing time. Second, yes, the head coach has veto power, but no head coach can watch each individual position on the depth chart and decide who should be playing. Finally, and this is indisputable: A head coach will make certain that the best players are on the field at all times, since as in business, the bottom line is profit, in football, the bottom line is winning.

We had better hope that next year, we have a back who can go along with Akrum at the same level we enjoyed with LeShun, or we are asking for trouble.

Come on. Guys who are quick don't get hit solid near as often as a power back does.

Hey, PC, two comments: all I said was that Akrum gets hit hard a lot, and that is the rule for all BT running backs. And, yes, coaches may well have varying opinions on who should start, see playng time, etc. but to argue some phantom obsession on KF's part determines who plays is foolish. Coach a few years then re-state your views.

Come on. Guys who are quick don't get hit solid near as often as a power back does.
I would say that the way Wadley runs between the tackle, more than other teams' speed backs, he probably does get his fair share of hard hits. I love the fact that he runs up the middle with no fear, but he does take shots because of it.

I thought this last game was pretty indicative of how the staff wanted to use the backs. They wanted Daniels to be the bell cow and get 25 touches a game minimum with Wadley being the 10-12 time a game changeup/game breaker. That's not far off from what happened here. Wadley avged like 9 yrds a pop. And Daniels did great. I think if Wadley can get to sustaining 200 lbs he'll be trusted more next year. But I still don't see him getting to where he averages 20 plus carries a game. I think they'll have another back snagging 10 or so touches too be in the Toks kid or whomever it ends up being. And that'll be for the teams benefit. What good would Wadley be if he's banged up and playing hurt down the stretch? I think Iowa being careful about how they used him at times is partially why he's been as affective all season long as he was. Of course since things went well fans want more. But who's to say where the line in the sand is on how much he can handle is? I don't know for sure either but I'm not disappointed in the results (other than the overall team losing to NDSU & NW)

I have no doubt Kirk thinks Daniels is at least as good (but more than likely better) than Wadley.
I think the coaches choose who is in there based more on situation than fans give them credit for.
Take the Michigan game, they needed Wadley's ability to break off runs, as this was the only part of the offense that was working. So he got far more touches.
Against Nebraska they used Daniel's ability to get 5-9 yards on most runs to turn the offense into the 12th defender. Look at TOP for the fourth quarter and you can understand how they were using the offense.

This reminds me exactly of the Shaw vs Banks (both were better than the current day counterparts FWIW) discussions of yesteryear. Many were clamoring for Banks to get more if not most of the carries. Then Banks senior year he did get almost all he carries. He was unstoppable to start the year leading the nation in rushing. Then he ran into better competition and was worn down. He wasn't the same back the rest of the year. He wasn't as effective vs good opponents as he was sharing duty w Shaw. Shaw was much more appreciated after he was gone. Shaw/Daniels are your punishing 5 ypc back and Banks/Wadley are your home run hitters. Both are valuable and not using them both and having them both more fresh when they do carry the rock would be irresponsible. Almost every team in college and the NFL do this.

I thought this last game was pretty indicative of how the staff wanted to use the backs. They wanted Daniels to be the bell cow and get 25 touches a game minimum with Wadley being the 10-12 time a game changeup/game breaker. That's not far off from what happened here. Wadley avged like 9 yrds a pop. And Daniels did great. I think if Wadley can get to sustaining 200 lbs he'll be trusted more next year. But I still don't see him getting to where he averages 20 plus carries a game. I think they'll have another back snagging 10 or so touches too be in the Toks kid or whomever it ends up being. And that'll be for the teams benefit. What good would Wadley be if he's banged up and playing hurt down the stretch? I think Iowa being careful about how they used him at times is partially why he's been as affective all season long as he was. Of course since things went well fans want more. But who's to say where the line in the sand is on how much he can handle is? I don't know for sure either but I'm not disappointed in the results (other than the overall team losing to NDSU & NW)

If Wadley gets to 200lbs he will be trusted more!?! WTF he isn't trusted now?? The fact is Iowa has 2 excellent backs in Daniels and Wadley. Who gives 2 shits about his weight and if that is the hold up for KF that's his problem. If Wadley isn't the lead back getting spelled by Mitchell or (whomever rises as the #2) NEXT SEASON this Staff is brainless!!! Wadley has shown he can't take shots big shots and gets up and runs the rock again.

Last edited:
Lulz, if Wadley gets injured or is just half a step slower the whole offense goes into a shell for the last three games and half the touchdowns don't happen or even the first downs. Wadley would get grounded down like the defenses we played against how many guys that skinny last as long as he did this season?

It's evident that Ferentz and coaches want to utilize a two back system and get the two best backs in rhythm and roughly the same amount of touches. Long gone are the days of a powerhorse back lugging 35 plus touches.

In addition, I think they learned from years in the past that having more than 3 is a crowd and nightmare to establish a rhythm.

You guys can argue all you want on who's better or who's more effective or gets hit more. He's using these two backs as he sees fit.

You definitely use them both. The question is, how do you distribute them when one averages so much more per carry than the other.

I don't think it's uncommon to have a punishing bruiser tote the load first to loosen up the D then bring in the speed changer with some wiggle even though he gets less touches. They often break one loose and end up with more yard per average. But, that doesn't mean you should change your game plan.

Iowa had a nice ball to McCarron for a long TD, Why not try that 5 times more? Well, that's not in the game plan even though it was effective.

I guess I'm fine with how many touches they are giving each. I think Wadley would be fine having more, with getting tired and hits, but, no need to when Daniel's has been doing so well.

What I think they could do is have both in at the same time with Wadley in the slot. That would really loosen the D up.

If Wadley gets to 200lbs he will be trusted more!?! WTF he isn't trusted now?? The fact is Iowa has 2 excellent backs in Daniels and Wadley. Who gives 2 shits about his weight and if that is the hold up for KF that's his problem. If Wadley isn't the lead back getting spelled by Mitchell or (whomever rises as the #2) NEXT SEASON this Staff is brainless!!! Wadley has shown he can't take shots big shots and gets up and runs the rock again.
The coaches want him at 190 and he is just under. People thinking 5-10 pounds help that much with durability cracking me up. Some guys over 200 are injury prone and some guys under 200 never get hurt. Besides, very few running back injuries have anything to to with weight. Most are legs.

I think they could have been a much more dynamic offense if both had been on the field at the same time throughout the season. Missed opportunities, getting Wadley matched up on LBs on pass plays, such as the ISU game; the jet sweep potential influencing the LBs, such as the Illinois game. Their two best offensive players needed more time on the field together in my opinion. A pair of 1000 yard rushers is still pretty darn good, though.

In an ideal world, truE. But I'm not sure I "trust" GD managing both on the field at the same time. He would definitely find a way to f*&k it up, a la waiting until game 11 of his fifth season to "fake" a jet sweep. Hell, Daniels was probably faked out most of all on that play!

Last edited:
The coaches want him at 190 and he is just under. People thinking 5-10 pounds help that much with durability cracking me up. Some guys over 200 are injury prone and some guys under 200 never get hurt. Besides, very few running back injuries have anything to to with weight. Most are legs.

In addition, carrying more weight with a guy like Wadley could possibly have an effect on how shifty he is or his running style.

Fred Russell wasn't a big guy and he had a lot of carries. The defenders had problems locating him behind the line and by the time they did he was already behind them.

You do realize it's not the weight, per se, right? It's the fact that he is given a target/goal to obtain by his coaches and he isn't reaching it. For the coaches, it speaks to dedication and commitment....rightly or wrongly.

Wadley himself even admitted in an interview earlier this year that he didn't want anything to do with any weight gain because he thought it would hinder his speed and even flat out told the coaches that he wasn't going to do it. Doyle eventually showed him that he could make him bigger AND increase his speed as well. At that point, he started dedicating himself more to putting on/keeping on weight per the coaches orders.

I don't think it's uncommon to have a punishing bruiser tote the load first to loosen up the D then bring in the speed changer with some wiggle even though he gets less touches. They often break one loose and end up with more yard per average. But, that doesn't mean you should change your game plan.

Iowa had a nice ball to McCarron for a long TD, Why not try that 5 times more? Well, that's not in the game plan even though it was effective.

I guess I'm fine with how many touches they are giving each. I think Wadley would be fine having more, with getting tired and hits, but, no need to when Daniel's has been doing so well.

What I think they could do is have both in at the same time with Wadley in the slot. That would really loosen the D up.

I think you're right that a change of pace back can average more ypc due to circumstances , but I don't think that's the case here. Daniels has had a pretty high number of really long runs where he was untouched. I think that helps equalize the long runs a change of pace back gets due to a tired defense. I saw a tweet from Jon (I think right before half of Nebraska) that said "Daniels with a good run for a 1st down. Wadley very well might have had a 90 yard td run". It's the plays like that that can be the difference between a win and a loss. I also love Daniels tho.

I understand debating these things after loses. Not after 3 wins, 2 in blowouts and 1 over a top 10 team. Wadley is a stud, is gonna get the workload next year. Daniels went for 318 and 4 touchdowns in the last 2 games. They both avg about 6-7 yards/carry in the last couple games.

Daniels could not do what Wadley did to Michigan, but he's been a workhorse. But I am just dang glad to see not 1 but 2 high level RB on the squad.

They both have been very good all year. They are pretty different running backs to be comparing.

You definitely use them both. The question is, how do you distribute them when one averages so much more per carry than the other.

The same way Wiscy utilized Melvin Gordon when Montee Ball and James White were starting for Wiscy. Gordon averaged ridiculous yardage almost exclusively on jet sweep-type plays. Note that when we bottled him up, White did the damage.

Problem is, with GD it took four full seasons and 11 games into his fifth season to realize that you can send a back in ghost motion and actually fake it to him. #SlowLearningCurve

You do realize it's not the weight, per se, right? It's the fact that he is given a target/goal to obtain by his coaches and he isn't reaching it. For the coaches, it speaks to dedication and commitment....rightly or wrongly.

Wadley himself even admitted in an interview earlier this year that he didn't want anything to do with any weight gain because he thought it would hinder his speed and even flat out told the coaches that he wasn't going to do it. Doyle eventually showed him that he could make him bigger AND increase his speed as well. At that point, he started dedicating himself more to putting on/keeping on weight per the coaches orders.

This is all understandable, but I highly doubt it's the reason for him not getting a handful more touches per game.

Latest posts