Ulis Visiting MSU

Ulis is visiting Northwestern today. -source, four million people on twitter.

NW could be a darkhorse in the running for him. New coach who is from Chi-town, and could be a key in rebuilding that team.

From what I have read online a lot of people are thinking Iowa is losing his interest but I think we were in early enough with him that I still think we could be a contender.

man, recruiting is such a crazy game to play. i would think it is the worst part of the job for many coaches. just when you think you have a kid, he goes somewhere else. tons of hours invested in recruiting that never pays off. takes a special kind of dude to be a great recruiter.

that said, i think the Hawks still have a chance, but we'll see. this stuff changes like the wind.

NW could be a darkhorse in the running for him. New coach who is from Chi-town, and could be a key in rebuilding that team.

From what I have read online a lot of people are thinking Iowa is losing his interest but I think we were in early enough with him that I still think we could be a contender.

If Fran goes 0-2 on his top 2 targets and one of them is to the worst team in the Big Ten with a new coach then Fran still has a lot to prove on the recruiting trail. He hasn't gotten a difference maker yet that isn't from around Iowa. Really hasn't gotten a difference maker yet.

Perhaps it's hard to recruit its African American athletes to Iowa City. He certainly isn't lazy as many have accused Ferentz of.

The same Rod Thompson who played at Iowa? I met him at Carver one Summer while vacationing with my son before he started the fifth grade. We were walking around Carver and Rod walks out dribbling a basketball. I didn't recognize him right away and asked: Are you Glenn, he said, No, Man, I'm Rod. We talked and then he lifted my son up to the basket to dunk the ball, then he started shooting threes. I rebounded for him and he made every shot banking them off the square behind the rim. He said, I can do this all day. He was cool and a gentleman....

I highly doubt it is the same guy and believe him anyway...just a hunch.

If Fran goes 0-2 on his top 2 targets and one of them is to the worst team in the Big Ten with a new coach then Fran still has a lot to prove on the recruiting trail. He hasn't gotten a difference maker yet that isn't from around Iowa. Really hasn't gotten a difference maker yet.

The sky is falling....watch out Chicken Little....

Who is the other 'top' target?

I am far from worried about Fran's ability to recruit.

I'm guessing he's talking about Malik. Still too early to start worrying too much.

Oh Malek Harris?

Here is my question...how do any of us know who Fran's top 2 targets are in this class? His first offer was Tyus Jones, so I guess we should all be upset that Iowa isn't on his short list...just more ledge standing as far as I am concerned.

My guess is that Iowa will be just fine with Fran at the helm.

This is exactly why I don't read the uninformed opinion of some no name person on Twitter. I highly doubt any of these know-it-all's know anything more than we do at this point. Until Ulis commits somewhere else or comes out and says he's no longer interested in Iowa I will believe we have as much of a chance as anyone else. And if he does commit somewhere else, oh well, it happens, plenty of options out there. Some people just love to be negative, I guess.

So the man the recruited Aaron White who just made the usa team. Then had a top 25 class. Then landed a parade all american and Mr basketball of Iowa . You are worried about this man ?

For ****'s sake man. Shut up.

We've been told, repeatedly, that Northwestern is considered a VERY long shot for Ulis, but he would visit them. The fact that he's visiting MSU and NW is not a sign to be worried. We've known for quite some time he planned to take all his visits, so why are some people going Defcon 3 over it when he starts doing that?

That's not even mentioning the fact that Fran has done very, very well on the recruiting trail thus far. It's like you're a vulture just waiting for him to come up short in some way.

For ****'s sake man. Shut up.

We've been told, repeatedly, that Northwestern is considered a VERY long shot for Ulis, but he would visit them. The fact that he's visiting MSU and NW is not a sign to be worried. We've known for quite some time he planned to take all his visits, so why are some people going Defcon 3 over it when he starts doing that?

That's not even mentioning the fact that Fran has done very, very well on the recruiting trail thus far. It's like you're a vulture just waiting for him to come up short in some way.

For what it's worth, which is probably not very much, here are my thoughts:

If Ulis is going to visit NW despite NW being an extreme long shot, then I don't think his visiting MSU necessarily means that Iowa has no chance, either. I admit I worry about MSU, but my feelings are that Iowa has a good shot at signing Ulis even with MSU in the picture. But to get good recruits, you do have to be able to seal the deal and out-recruit other good programs. It comes with the territory.

As for Fran's recruiting in general, I try to keep in mind how our program was viewed when he was hired (it was in flames). Fran has definitely upgraded our talent and did well IMO in getting commits from Gesell & Woodbury (both 4*) even though they were both local players.. I consider S. Sioux City to be "local".

I guess in a couple years if Iowa isn't winning and Fran can't pull in a 4* recruit to save his life, then I'll be critical of his recruiting. But so far, I have no reason to think Fran can't recruit. I honestly don't think it will come to that. Fran seems like a workaholic, favors an appealing style of basketball, and talks a good game. That has got to pay some dividends. I think recruiting will be good as long as Fran is here.

If Ulis is going to visit NW despite NW being an extreme long shot, then I don't think his visiting MSU necessarily means that Iowa has no chance, either. I admit I worry about MSU, but my feelings are that Iowa has a good shot at signing Ulis even with MSU in the picture. But to get good recruits, you do have to be able to seal the deal and out-recruit other good programs. It comes with the territory.

As for Fran's recruiting in general, I try to keep in mind how our program was viewed when he was hired (it was in flames). Fran has definitely upgraded our talent and did well IMO in getting commits from Gesell & Woodbury (both 4*) even though they were both local players.. I consider S. Sioux City to be "local".

I guess in a couple years if Iowa isn't winning and Fran can't pull in a 4* recruit to save his life, then I'll be critical of his recruiting. But so far, I have no reason to think Fran can't recruit. I honestly don't think it will come to that. Fran seems like a workaholic, favors an appealing style of basketball, and talks a good game. That has got to pay some dividends. I think recruiting will be good as long as Fran is here.

I'd agree with this. You said it better than I did.

I also agree with what 77 said. Fran is a very intelligent coach and I am sure whomever he brings in to play will be a great recruit. What's going on with the other major sports program at the University of Iowa does give fans a reason for concern, but the captain is due for one of those surprisingly and unexpected good seasons and that is what I am hoping for. We are IOWA and our fans and facilities are as good as anyone else's and there is no reason why both basketball and football can't be very successful.

It isn't always about being able to bring in the 4* recruits. If a coach can bring them in; more power to them. The last thing I do is worry about who Fran's top targets are; I worry more about who we have absolutely no clue about that Fran is watching. Those are the players that make or break a program, like Anthony Clemmons, Kyle Meyer, Melsahn Basabe, Zach McCabe, Gabe Olaseni and oh yeah that White guy (fyi only one of those guys is local)...those are the guys that determine a program's outcome in the end.

With Fran, Iowa is going to get their fair share of 4* recruits, but if we believe Iowa is going to sign 3 or more of those guys in a year, well, I don't know what to tell you. I don't know when that has ever happened, if it has please let me know.

So to be gloom and doom about Fran losing out on a 4* here and there is very silly anyway. Peter Jok will fall into the non-4* category that is going to help bring Iowa back to the top half of the Big Ten.

Fran has put Iowa in a good position in the time he has been here and he recruited two whopping 4* players. It is about what the coaching staff is looking for, the only thing I see Fran doing differently moving forward is begin to focus on the next-level type athletes, he is going after a ton of them right now. If you didn't watch the Prentiss Nixon highlight, he is pure athlete, but can shoot a little bit as well.

Keep on recruiting in the same way Fran has and Iowa will get back to being a perennial top 25 team again with regular trips to the Sweet 16.

Latest posts