Ulis Visiting MSU

Not liking our chances with him. Hope I'm wrong.

Recruiting is like the weather everyone predicts it in advance, but in the end it is a 50-50 chance. Some factors may influence it, but at the end of the day he either will or won't be a Hawkeye and folks can obsess about the next "storm" in recruiting. Probably Josh Cunningham.

Is no one else even remotely thinking...

this kid is 5'8". He's highly ranked and recruited for a reason, I'm not saying he's bad. Clearly the kid can play. But, he's 5'8''. I feel like so many on this board are going crazy for him, following this recruitment process.

I understand the appeal of landing a legit 4* recuit, and the thought of getting a good player to commit and then recruit other good players to commit. And maybe he would be that kind of guy.

But name the last great/good player in major college basketball that was this size? I'm sorry, but I don't really think we're going to land him (but hey, we'll see) and I won't be depressed if he goes elsewhere.

I think the hawks are going to be really good next year, and the team will form a reputation for being tall, long, and athletic (and have depth). Obviously, gessel and clemmons aren't really tall guys, but they're not 5'8'' either. Having a team identity of size could be a really cool thing. Basically two 7 footers, basabe, white, uthoff, mccabe, marble... all guys that are 6'7'' plus. I know all basketball players aren't like this.

But in terms of on court abilities and contributions, how good do you think Ulis will be?

Ulis is not earning the high ratings (#41 overall on Rivals), out of the kindness of the rating services,or because he is good ...''for a little guy''.
He is just good,period.
Pierre Jackson of Baylor ripped us to shreds in the NIT title game,and also led Baylor to the Elite Eight in 2012....another little guy.

Ulis has played against the best guards in the country,and emerged as one of the best....all I need to know. Joe Hendricksen of the Suntimes was pushing him for player of the year in chicagoland last season, against competition like probable top 5 draft picks Jabari Parker, Jalil Okafor,and Cliff Alexander....nuff said.
Earl Boykins of Eastern Michigan could have starred anywhere,and had a long nice career in the NBA.
Nate Robinson was a sensation in the NBA playoffs this past season for the Bulls.

In todays game, quickness and speed can trump size,especially in Frans system.

Yeah but don't compare this kid to nate robinson. From the youtube highlights i've seen, this kid is small, quick and a well-below the rim kind of player. Nate robinson won the dunk contest.

Like i said, I know he's good. From what I've heard, he's really good. And I believe that. But those guys ("little guys" with success at high levels) are very very rare. Maybe he could be like Pierre Jackson. And maybe he's very different, not every player has some perfect analogy to someone else.

But you have to understand my skepticism. And yes, speed is important, but so is size and physicality, even at the pg position. Not only is he short, but he looks really skinny. He could be great, but i could also see a 5'8'' 150 lb freshman really struggle in the big 10.

Remember he is only 16 years old....and his body will probably mature and fill out by the time he is 18/19.
His dad was a player,and his cousin,Travis Walton, was a starter at MSU. So, he has genetics on his side.

From my standpoint, I see a chance for Iowa to get a possible star,who is only available due to his small stature. Lets see how Ahmad Starks,who is transferring from Oregon St. to Illinois does for the illini...he is 5'8''. There was a 5'9'' kid from the Chicagoland region who went to Cal a few years ago,and he was a dynamic leader for them.

No doubt it takes a special player to succeed at that size,but I think Tyler Ulis is special. Arizona has a commit from the other top small pg in the country, a Cartwright, and he is 5'9''....and Ulis handled him. Arizona does not recruit bums. Sean Miller gets bluechippers.

Remember he is only 16 years old....and his body will probably mature and fill out by the time he is 18/19.
His dad was a player,and his cousin,Travis Walton, was a starter at MSU. So, he has genetics on his side.

From my standpoint, I see a chance for Iowa to get a possible star,who is only available due to his small stature. Lets see how Ahmad Starks,who is transferring from Oregon St. to Illinois does for the illini...he is 5'8''. There was a 5'9'' kid from the Chicagoland region who went to Cal a few years ago,and he was a dynamic leader for them.

No doubt it takes a special player to succeed at that size,but I think Tyler Ulis is special. Arizona has a commit from the other top small pg in the country, a Cartwright, and he is 5'9''....and Ulis handled him. Arizona does not recruit bums. Sean Miller gets bluechippers.

This. If he's got the talent, I don't care how tall or short he is. And Ulis has the talent.

IT, slow your roll there dude, take a breath and settle down. I get the whole size bias that you are having, but I guess I look at it this way.

Every flipping year I watch the NCAA tournament and there is a team that has little penetrating PG's that understand how to play the game. Every year there is a team that has one of those PG's and they go to the Sweet 16, it just happens. Those teams lose as they get deeper in the tournament not because their PG get swallowed up, it is because they limit his options and as we all know the officiating seems to change as what a foul is or not as well.

I will gladly take a 5'8" blur on Iowa if the current talent that is there continues to be the same level or higher as it appears Fran is trying to do, get even more talent than what he already has. Surrounding a guy like Ulis with shooters and a couple of big men that can play makes him instantly one of the more dangerous PG's. You may think he is a liability on defense? Well, having size and guys that will challenge shots in the other four positions on the floor can even that out a bit.

The same negatives that can be said about his size, can also be flipped as positives depending on what end of the floor or perspective you are looking at. I am guessing that Fran is seeing more positive than negative or Iowa wouldn't have offered him. Remember Trey Burke was ranked 108 or something like that and when Fran saw him play he said Burke was the best player on the floor every time he saw him play, maybe he has that same sentiment with Ulis. Time will tell and maybe you getting all worked up about his size won't matter as he may end up somewhere else. Believe nothing in recruiting until the LOI is signed. You have a kid that has played against top competition in HS and AAU and has worked himself into the No. 49 recruit on Rivals and he is a "below the rim" kind of player, your words, what does that say about the rest of his game to garner such a high ranking?
Effort, pride and a sheer will to prove yourself gets you there and if a player has some athleticism it gets them in the top 50.

He is a player just like Piere Jackson which I'm pretty sure if a person has a brain, they would have loved to beat out Baylor for him. The dude is going to be good....hopefully Fran can pull a rabbit out the hat

Alright, my last little bit here. I know he's good and he's earned his ranking. But I don't want you guys to think I'm getting so "worked up" over this, because I'm not. If my posts made it sound that way, let me tell you, I'm not.

This is a type of issue where people get really defense, really easily. I'm not insulting the kid. I'm simply saying that I can see him struggling (to live up to his recruiting expectations) in a league like the big 10 three years from now. And I can see his size and height being a major reason why.

He could also be a great big 10 point guard. who knows

Alright, my last little bit here. I know he's good and he's earned his ranking. But I don't want you guys to think I'm getting so "worked up" over this, because I'm not. If my posts made it sound that way, let me tell you, I'm not.

This is a type of issue where people get really defense, really easily. I'm not insulting the kid. I'm simply saying that I can see him struggling (to live up to his recruiting expectations) in a league like the big 10 three years from now. And I can see his size and height being a major reason why.

He could also be a great big 10 point guard. who knows

That is fair, but I don't think people are defensive in this case. When you focus on his height and then call him a below the rim player then people get a little on edge.

Also and I think most will agree with me, if Ulis struggles in college it won't be because of his height.

Premium article on Rivals with the headline of: Ulis Trusts McCaffery.

Says on what can be read that may go a long way on his recruiting.

Latest posts