Tyler Cook

At the risk of making Dean angry, I got to see Diopp and Lyle up close as my kid played against them. They beat Lyle and lost to Diopp. Lyle appeared in HS to get along very well with his teammates. He struck me as polite and a team player with good communication. I have no idea what happens in his life for the turmoil. His idle speed was blazing fast. Diopp was a quiet kid who tended to stay out of the fray until he had to do something and then he'd light it up. He preferred 3 balling to driving but boy could he drive. OSU's turn around has a lot to do with coaching. I got to see Matta, Painter, Weber and some others recruiting. Iowa sent an assistant. Maybe the price was too high to be in the game. The Iowa others were very prominent and noticeable. The Iowa coach sat in the corner away from everyone. Painter seemed real approachable. Matta and Painter seemed much more secure in their demeanor.
That’s all fine and good but not really what we are talking about which is why I hesitated to bring those names up.

The point is taking one player from a team can completely change the makeup of said team. Maybe that would be the case if the Cook rumors are indeed true.

That’s all fine and good but not really what we are talking about which is why I hesitated to bring those names up.

The point is taking one player from a team can completely change the makeup of said team. Maybe that would be the case if the Cook rumors are indeed true.

My point would be that if he does transfer, people shouldn't assume he was a cancer and that would come out. Jaquan Lyle seemed like a nice young man. All of these guys are really young with a lot of growing up to do.

Cook is a good player. If he's not doing certain things, it's probably not on him. Fans will turn on him pretty quickly and chalk this season up to him.

I do see him him as a #3 or #4 in body type and style but is asked to act like a 5. That in part is due to his ball handing skills or lack of them.

I think he's a great player with a coach that really can't help him...and a number of other players as well. He seemed to get more insecure as the season progress and gave the ball up way too much.

My point would be that if he does transfer, people shouldn't assume he was a cancer and that would come out. Jaquan Lyle seemed like a nice young man. All of these guys are really young with a lot of growing up to do.

Cook is a good player. If he's not doing certain things, it's probably not on him. Fans will turn on him pretty quickly and chalk this season up to him.

I do see him him as a #3 or #4 in body type and style but is asked to act like a 5. That in part is due to his ball handing skills or lack of them.

I think he's a great player with a coach that really can't help him...and a number of other players as well. He seemed to get more insecure as the season progress and gave the ball up way too much.
That’s a fair point, and I’m not trying to claim Cook is the cancer on this team. I literally have no idea what has caused the downfall this year.

I actually think Cook is a 5 being asked to play the 4. He would play the 5 on the majority of the teams in the conference. He likes to operate on the block, but it can be tough when Garza and Pemsl are always down there as well.

I’m a big Nunge believer. I think his potential is off the charts and he might look like a completely different player next year. Here are some advance defensive stats comps:

Nunge:
Stl %: 2.4 Blk %: 5.1 DBPM: 2.3

Cook (this year):
Stl %: 1.4 Blk% 2.1 DBPM: 0.1

Baer (Career):
Stl %: 3.0 Blk %: 4.7 DBPM: 4.8

Uthoff (Career):
Stl %: 1.8 Blk %: 8.2 (All American) DBPM: 5.2

Aaron White (Career):
Stl %: 2.3 Blk %: 2.4 DBPM: 2.9

All different players in their own rights but just a reference. Remember most of us feel Nunge has been playing out of position for most of the season.

That’s a fair point, and I’m not trying to claim Cook is the cancer on this team. I literally have no idea what has caused the downfall this year.

I actually think Cook is a 5 being asked to play the 4. He would play the 5 on the majority of the teams in the conference. He likes to operate on the block, but it can be tough when Garza and Pemsl are always down there as well.

He gets pushed around a lot. The guy has a lot of potential. Also, my apologies if it seemed I was insinuating you would do that. If he does transfer some will.
Seeing my kid play against some top teams really changed my perception on things and look at the human side of things. Lyle played against my son fair and square and seemed like a good kid as did Diopp. I don't know why Iowa didn't appear to go harder after Diopp, but then again maybe the contact was in another venue if they did. Iowa was evaluating a player on my son's team who is 6-9. the image though was that they didn't seem to want to be visible except for the black and gold attire. It made me wonder if there is a pecking order.

Matta was like a roster. Painter was a fun friendly guy who seemed polite. Weber was there seemingly looking for any crack and Iowa was in the corner. It was interesting but maybe means absolutely nothing. It was fun though.

I’m a big Nunge believer. I think his potential is off the charts and he might look like a completely different player next year. Here are some advance defensive stats comps:

Nunge:
Stl %: 2.4 Blk %: 5.1 DBPM: 2.3

Cook (this year):
Stl %: 1.4 Blk% 2.1 DBPM: 0.1

Baer (Career):
Stl %: 3.0 Blk %: 4.7 DBPM: 4.8

Uthoff (Career):
Stl %: 1.8 Blk %: 8.2 (All American) DBPM: 5.2

Aaron White (Career):
Stl %: 2.3 Blk %: 2.4 DBPM: 2.9

All different players in their own rights but just a reference. Remember most of us feel Nunge has been playing out of position for most of the season.
I constantly review box +/-, so I know the numbers. And I believe Nunge is playing out of position for his size/athleticism. Nunge's a 4.

After a question about having 6 assists, he made the comment " Well I hear I never pass the ball soon had to pass the ball" or something like that. If he's insecure, it's because he pays attention too much what fans say, and our fans say too much.

After a question about having 6 assists, he made the comment " Well I hear I never pass the ball soon had to pass the ball" or something like that. If he's insecure, it's because he pays attention too much what fans say, and our fans say too much.
If the players don't like the fans opinion of their efforts, and they decide to change their efforts to = wins.......I'm OK with that.

If the players don't like the fans opinion of their efforts, and they decide to change their efforts to = wins.......I'm OK with that.

Oh I'm big time ok with that outcome. Too bad it's just as likely that a player will lose confidence and look insecure tho. I get that all fanbases have those fans, but it still sucks that our fans make our players feel that way.

Heard someone mention that his banner and prof pic on twitter is now just plain black. Idk, could have to do with black history month. I cannot imagine every move being psychoanalyzed at age 19/20. The idea of a sophomore with NBA hopes transferring, sitting out a year then playing for a team that isn't guaranteed to be any better than this Iowa team in two years is just laughable. Especially with the recent trend of how young NBA players are becoming.

Heard someone mention that his banner and prof pic on twitter is now just plain black. Idk, could have to do with black history month. I cannot imagine every move being psychoanalyzed at age 19/20. The idea of a sophomore with NBA hopes transferring, sitting out a year then playing for a team that isn't guaranteed to be any better than this Iowa team in two years is just laughable. Especially with the recent trend of how young NBA players are becoming.

Then you have to factor in the odds he would have a huge year at Iowa and go to the NBA after next year. Those odds go from something to zero.

Then you have to factor in the odds he would have a huge year at Iowa and go to the NBA after next year. Those odds go from something to zero.

YEP. Think this is just post season hot take session. People looking for something spicy. OH TYLER IS FROM ST LOUIS. IOWA SUCKED THIS YEAR. THINK HES GONE. POST TO TWITTER.COM

Ignoring rumors is laughable, especially when Tom and Rick are saying it.

the cancer on this team is slow-footed lateral movement by our guards. that prevents us from successful perimeter defense and leads to our post defenders being out of position. As for JBo, same thing, it isn't his passing or scoring abilities that are the knock on him; it's his lateral quickness and ball handling.

As for Cook, I would argue that he is a team leader. completely disagree if anyone says he's a lazy player or a cancer on the team. he is also talking in huddles making sure everyone knows what Fran is calling.

Stay on topic folks.

the cancer on this team is slow-footed lateral movement by our guards. that prevents us from successful perimeter defense and leads to our post defenders being out of position. As for JBo, same thing, it isn't his passing or scoring abilities that are the knock on him; it's his lateral quickness and ball handling.

As for Cook, I would argue that he is a team leader. completely disagree if anyone says he's a lazy player or a cancer on the team. he is also talking in huddles making sure everyone knows what Fran is calling.

Stay on topic folks.
How is it off topic for us to be talking about Cook in a thread about Cook?

You might disagree with it but many of us feel he has some very bad habits, including playing lazy. If the game isn’t going his way he often jogs back on defense and he rarely ever boxes out.

Now don’t get me wrong he’s a very good player and I don’t want to lose him, but let’s not act like he doesn’t have his own faults.

How is it off topic for us to be talking about Cook in a thread about Cook?

You might disagree with it but many of us feel he has some very bad habits, including playing lazy. If the game isn’t going his way he often jogs back on defense and he rarely ever boxes out.

Now don’t get me wrong he’s a very good player and I don’t want to lose him, but let’s not act like he doesn’t have his own faults.

because some are calling him a "cancer" to the team. so let me rephrase; you're right the topic is Cook. but be accurate and realistic in what you say.

Latest posts