Tyler Cook

We were 4-14 this year and lost virtually every game by double digits....including trailing in every single conference road game by at least 18 points.

I'm not sure that things get much worse than that

Losing your best player after the year is a good start.

Are you talking about the free board over there at Rivals? It seems like there is some smoke here in the paid subscriber board.

That's what I mean. Hawkeye nation refuses to take my money so I don't have access to the pay board.

If he does leave it can only mean one thing. He has a serious problem with the team. You don't sit out a year to play at Missouri 2 years from now when it's probably damn close to 50/50 on who would be the better team in 2 years anyway.

I'm honestly fine if he goes. When you've had a season like this, there are no "sacred cows". He's a terrible post defender and a lazy rebounder, at best. Sure, he can dominate offensively in the paint at times, but we've got more than enough offense....we need some freaking defense.
I’m with you. Two months ago if you asked me what I would think about that I would have freaked out. Honestly though Cook’s lack of defensive effort, never boxing out, and inability to stay out of foul trouble have kind of run their course with me. He’s a heck of a talent but I’m not sure he will ever fully put it together between the ears.

I like Nunge and Garza down low. They give effort, and both can hit an outside shot. Hopefully their defense will improve.

Sometimes it can be addition by subtraction. Look at Ohio State this year, Jaquon Lyle was one of their top talents last year and transferred (their was rumors he’s was a team cancer). Now we won’t be bringing back at Bates Diop, but sometimes losing one guy can change the outlook of a team.

Also nobody listen to 56 he’s just here to troll.

Last edited:
That's what I mean. Hawkeye nation refuses to take my money so I don't have access to the pay board.
HN takes my money and still denies me access. But at $3.99/month, I keep forgetting to ask about it. Besides, I enjoy the banter here.

Weird. CyTwins is saying the same thing on CF today...

How could I forget I'm an Iowa state and a Twins fan haha. In all seriousness if an Iowa state fan listens to Hawkeye Report podcasts they need help. You couldn't pay me to listen to Williams on 1460 let alone on his website.

How could I forget I'm an Iowa state and a Twins fan haha. In all seriousness if an Iowa state fan listens to Hawkeye Report podcasts they need help. You couldn't pay me to listen to Williams on 1460 let alone on his website.

So you'd consider CyTwins to be a sad individual obsessing over big brother, and all things Iowa, and generally living a pathetic life spending considerable amount of time trolling on a daily basis?

So you'd consider CyTwins to be a sad individual obsessing over big brother, and all things Iowa, and generally living a pathetic life spending considerable amount of time trolling on a daily basis?

I don't know who Cy Twins is but yeah if they indeed are an Iowa state fan who listens to Hawkeye Report podcasts they are obsessed.

Losing your best player after the year is a good start.

Sure, our best offensive player....but offense isn't our issue. He's a terrible defensive player, pure and simple. And we need help on defense. So if losing his scoring means we can free up that scholarship for a potentially better interior defender, I'm all for it....

Anyone seen any more smoke?

cheech-chong-o.gif

Why would Cook transfer to Missouri? He would have to sit out an entire year. That just doesn't pass the smell test. Not to mention that Missouri will be losing the Porter brothers and probably one other player to the draft so there's no guarantee they will be any good moving forward. Dailey transferring doesn't make any sense either. It's not like he's going to get more minutes on another team unless he goes somewhere really small.

I'm honestly fine if he goes. When you've had a season like this, there are no "sacred cows". He's a terrible post defender and a lazy rebounder, at best. Sure, he can dominate offensively in the paint at times, but we've got more than enough offense....we need some freaking defense.
Unfortunately, he's not the only poor post defender and lazy rebounder in the front court. We've got 4 or 5 other players that fit that definition.

Sure, our best offensive player....but offense isn't our issue. He's a terrible defensive player, pure and simple. And we need help on defense. So if losing his scoring means we can free up that scholarship for a potentially better interior defender, I'm all for it....
Agreed. But we're not going to be able to get one for 2018-19. It's way too late in the recruiting game to get any kind of upgrade over Cook. So, we're talking about 2019-20.

I’m with you. Two months ago if you asked me what I would think about that I would have freaked out. Honestly though Cook’s lack of defensive effort, never boxing out, and inability to stay out of foul trouble have kind of run their course with me. He’s a heck of a talent but I’m not sure he will ever fully put it together between the ears.

I like Nunge and Garza down low. They give effort, and both can hit an outside shot. Hopefully their defense will improve.

Sometime it can be additional by subtraction. Look at Ohio State this year, Jaquon Lyle was one of their top talents last year and transferred (their was rumors he’s was a team cancer). Now we won’t be bringing back at Bates Diop, but sometimes losing one guy can change the outlook of a team.

Agreed. But we're not going to be able to get one for 2018-19. It's way too late in the recruiting game to get any kind of upgrade over Cook. So, we're talking about 2019-20.

Sometime it can be additional by subtraction. Look at Ohio State this year, Jaquon Lyle was one of their top talents last year and transferred (their was rumors he’s was a team cancer). Now we won’t be bringing back at Bates Diop, but sometimes losing one guy can change the outlook of a team.

At the risk of making Dean angry, I got to see Diopp and Lyle up close as my kid played against them. They beat Lyle and lost to Diopp. Lyle appeared in HS to get along very well with his teammates. He struck me as polite and a team player with good communication. I have no idea what happens in his life for the turmoil. His idle speed was blazing fast. Diopp was a quiet kid who tended to stay out of the fray until he had to do something and then he'd light it up. He preferred 3 balling to driving but boy could he drive. OSU's turn around has a lot to do with coaching. I got to see Matta, Painter, Weber and some others recruiting. Iowa sent an assistant. Maybe the price was too high to be in the game. The Iowa others were very prominent and noticeable. The Iowa coach sat in the corner away from everyone. Painter seemed real approachable. Matta and Painter seemed much more secure in their demeanor.

Latest posts