Tyler Cook

so...fair to assume he's

a. considering testing his NBA stock
b. thinking about transferring somewhere else?
c. just frustrated after a rough year and needs time to regroup.

I'm thinking a.is most likely, in which case he'll probably end up back in Iowa City after NBA guys tell him he's not draft-worthy yet...keep working.

Hmm so let the picking apart of that begin.
"I have no desire to transfer to Missouri (right this min) "Going to Mizzou was never the plan" (but it might be later?)
If we take him at his word on that then what are we missing? He isn't goin pro that's just crazy. And as far as transferring goes he's got other options besides Mizzu I guess but what might they be? Kansas? Indiana? Memphis? I'm just spit balling here geography wise.
Chances are, he is playing in Iowa City next year.

Hmm so let the picking apart of that begin.
"I have no desire to transfer to Missouri (right this min) "Going to Mizzou was never the plan" (but it might be later?)
If we take him at his word on that then what are we missing? He isn't goin pro that's just crazy. And as far as transferring goes he's got other options besides Mizzu I guess but what might they be? Kansas? Indiana? Memphis? I'm just spit balling here geography wise.

since you said it first, yes..I noticed that wording too.

since you said it first, yes..I noticed that wording too.
Don't get me wrong I want the guy back. I'm just old enough to remember Palmerio waving his finger at congress lying to them among many other examples. To say this puts it to bed that he's not only not transferring but not going to Mizzou is a stretch to me today on 3/2. If he says the same thing come next August/Sept at the start of the next school yr I'll feel a lot better about it.

Don't get me wrong I want the guy back. I'm just old enough to remember Palmerio waving his finger at congress lying to them among many other examples. To say this puts it to bed that he's not only not transferring but not going to Mizzou is a stretch to me today on 3/2. If he says the same thing come next August/Sept at the start of the next school yr I'll feel a lot better about it.

Yep. Ideally, he'll test the NBA waters, get some good feedback on what he needs to do to make himself a prospect and come back to Iowa City motivated to work his ass off in the off-season.

This is where you hope Fran has enough contacts in NBA circles that he can get Tyler some good advice and direction on what he needs to do.

Yep. Ideally, he'll test the NBA waters, get some good feedback on what he needs to do to make himself a prospect and come back to Iowa City motivated to work his ass off in the off-season.

This is where you hope Fran has enough contacts in NBA circles that he can get Tyler some good advice and direction on what he needs to do.
That's a good question. What kind of NBA contacts does Fran have?

C-Mac, P-Mac, J-Bo, J-Dubs, and Luke the Duke as our starting 5 next year after Cook goes to the Warriors as their starting small forward (according to some of you).

Jesus.

I can see us getting made fun of already by Iowa State.
You mean we’re not now?

Thanks for posting.

This was a good interview except for one stupid question.

Q: Now that the season is over can you tell us your emotions?

What? Is he auditioning for a gig on The View?

I just watched it for the first time. I didn't know the question was specifically for pro ball. The answer was a lot less "damning" having heard the question. I was 95% sure he was gone last night. Now I'm about 75% sure he's coning back.

For the record, I don't want him to leave. I think the team will be fine with or without him, probably better with him if can get the defense better. This team sucked because of team defense, not one player, per se.

All I was pointing out is that if he were to leave, I think Iowa could find the production to get most his points back with the combination of scoring and better defense out of another or two players. May give up half a dozen pt's that Cook would have gotten, but scoring was not Iowa's problem.

The loss of one stud player on a basketball team is rarely too bad to overcome and usually turns out better than people anticipate. That said, It does not make that player not valuable. Good teams find ways to replace loss production.

Tyler Cook averaged around 15 pts a game. Is that a 15 advantage for Iowa. Not when you factor in the defense that that player was playing and how they held who they guarded down. It's not an advantage if you have a player score 15 pts, but give up 20 pt's on the defensive end. So, then you have to ask yourself, how would our team do if we took out the 15 pt scorer and played player X who holds his guy to 5 pts.

So, losing one player from a team is usually never as drastic as it appears.

Again, that said, I still want Cook on this Iowa team as I think he has a high ceiling, and, he's just damn fun to watch.

I think Cook is going to be a monster next year. He will improve his flaws even more than he did last year and become a complete player. He may very well be the best forward in the conference. This year he was just a little off with defense, rebounding, and turnovers. If he improves all 3 of those categories just a little, he will be a way better player. If Cook is tired of losing (he obviously is) he needs to work hard and become the best forward in the conference. Kinda like Swannigan last year. If he does that and the rest of the team doesn't improve at all, we would still be a bubble team.

Then if he wants the team around him to improve, be a leader. Demand excellence from everyone. Play your ass off every minute and demand the rest of the team does the same. If he does that, this team will be night and day different. The point is, he has a lot of say in how good we are next year.

He reminds me so much of Greg Stokes, who scored a few points in a Hawkeye uniform. Greg at the college level was a defensive liability much of his career to and believe it or not he didn't always bring it every night early in his career. I would be sad to see Tyler go but sadder if staying makes him miserable. We probably need to let all of them get away for a bit and clear their heads. That was a tough season for us fans. You can imagine what it was like for the players.

For the record, I don't want him to leave. I think the team will be fine with or without him, probably better with him if can get the defense better. This team sucked because of team defense, not one player, per se.

All I was pointing out is that if he were to leave, I think Iowa could find the production to get most his points back with the combination of scoring and better defense out of another or two players. May give up half a dozen pt's that Cook would have gotten, but scoring was not Iowa's problem.

The loss of one stud player on a basketball team is rarely too bad to overcome and usually turns out better than people anticipate. That said, It does not make that player not valuable. Good teams find ways to replace loss production.

Tyler Cook averaged around 15 pts a game. Is that a 15 advantage for Iowa. Not when you factor in the defense that that player was playing and how they held who they guarded down. It's not an advantage if you have a player score 15 pts, but give up 20 pt's on the defensive end. So, then you have to ask yourself, how would our team do if we took out the 15 pt scorer and played player X who holds his guy to 5 pts.

So, losing one player from a team is usually never as drastic as it appears.

Again, that said, I still want Cook on this Iowa team as I think he has a high ceiling, and, he's just damn fun to watch.
except if you take Cook out you aren’t replacing him with a guy that scores 15 and gives up 5 — or even 15. If Iowa had that guy then that guy would be playing ahead of Cook instead of Cook playing 30 minutes a game.

And losing one player can be drastic. It depends on who the player is. Peter Jok from last season to this season is drastic. Miles Bridges gone makes MSU a sweet 16 team this year; not a NC contender.

except if you take Cook out you aren’t replacing him with a guy that scores 15 and gives up 5 — or even 15. If Iowa had that guy then that guy would be playing ahead of Cook instead of Cook playing 30 minutes a game.

And losing one player can be drastic. It depends on who the player is. Peter Jok from last season to this season is drastic. Miles Bridges gone makes MSU a sweet 16 team this year; not a NC contender.

College teams have lost great players every year going back to time.

College teams have lost great players every year going back to time.
Yep. Not my point. It’s possible Iowa could be better without Cook.
14 wins is not much of a bar.

My point in all these “Iowa > sans Cook is: I wonder how many fans from other programs have said, “we’re going to be better after losing our best player”?

And then say it for 5 consecutive years.

I wonder what the reaction would be on this site if ISU fans were saying that for 5-6 years.

Latest posts