Twitter is buzzin' with rumors of Brennan Marion as OC

For those who keep saying no one decent will take this job, I can give you a million reasons to suggest otherwise. KF may not get his first few choices, but there are a lot of guys toiling at smaller schools making 250k that would love a salary bump. There are good young coaches at that level, but KF is going to have to be flexible to land guys like that because its pretty hard to convince a young coach to take the same suicide pact that they just saw Brian take.

Its not hard to say, "I want run/pass balance, pro style, ball control, and ball security, but beyond that I will give you a free hand to shape this offense to reflect your vision." If he says that, there are a lot of guys who would see this as an opportunity to make a name for themselves as the ultimate reclamation project!
There are tons of qualified coaches that likely want the gig and would look at it as a challenge, career bump, salary bump - the opportunity to coach in the B1G. Somewhere they could come in and make their mark.... but I seriously doubt that's what our HC is looking for. As a fan, the last time Iowa overhauled it's offense with a new OC (besides Brian who just made some small tweaks) - Iowa went 4-8 and it's the worst season Iowa football has had in 2 decades. I don't particularly want to sit through that again, at least with Kirk as the guy in charge. If we're doing that, let's just pull the bandaid off and start a new direction.

You are right, a lot of guys would want this job.... are they the guys you want to take it? That's likely a bigger question.

There are tons of qualified coaches that likely want the gig and would look at it as a challenge, career bump, salary bump - the opportunity to coach in the B1G. Somewhere they could come in and make their mark.... but I seriously doubt that's what our HC is looking for. As a fan, the last time Iowa overhauled it's offense with a new OC (besides Brian who just made some small tweaks) - Iowa went 4-8 and it's the worst season Iowa football has had in 2 decades. I don't particularly want to sit through that again, at least with Kirk as the guy in charge. If we're doing that, let's just pull the bandaid off and start a new direction.

You are right, a lot of guys would want this job.... are they the guys you want to take it? That's likely a bigger question.
Greg Davis was a bad hire. There was a reason he was out of work for a year when KF dusted him off and offered him the job. He was old and not all that great when he wasn't old. But, I bet every dollar I have that he told KF exactly what he wanted to hear. "I will tweak and modernize your offense, but keep its core principles in place." But, his offensive design was dumb (a shotgun run heavy offense where you ALMOST NEVER throw it over the top and only throw short, vertical passes doesn't exactly loosen the box, but I digress).

Honestly, who we want is a young up and comer at a smaller school who has been a successful OC already, AND is savvy enough to know how to manage KF's expectations while still having a free enough hand to make necessary changes to make the offensive almost average. Do I think we will get that guy? Nope.

Greg Davis was a bad hire. There was a reason he was out of work for a year when KF dusted him off and offered him the job. He was old and not all that great when he wasn't old. But, I bet every dollar I have that he told KF exactly what he wanted to hear. "I will tweak and modernize your offense, but keep its core principles in place." But, his offensive design was dumb (a shotgun run heavy offense where you ALMOST NEVER throw it over the top and only throw short, vertical passes doesn't exactly loosen the box, but I digress).

Honestly, who we want is a young up and comer at a smaller school who has been a successful OC already, AND is savvy enough to know how to manage KF's expectations while still having a free enough hand to make necessary changes to make the offensive almost average. Do I think we will get that guy? Nope.

Exactly where I've been at, I feel it's highly unlikely we upgrade at OC. People are going to be pissed when the new guys offense looks, calls the same plays and produces just like the old offense.

Even worse, they tried to marry his offense with KF's philosophy which was an utter disaster. He got lightening in a bottle with Vince Young at Texas. He didn't have that at Iowa or the WR's.

Exactly where I've been at, I feel it's highly unlikely we upgrade at OC. People are going to be pissed when the new guys offense looks, calls the same plays and produces just like the old offense.
Don't we almost have to upgrade? BF was the worst. He made Davis look better and that is tough to do.

I just want someone who was a successful OC last season. I don't care where. Just someone who knows how to call plays and put a scheme together. BF had neither skill.

Well, if you think that was all Brian Ferentz did for program, I could see where you might come to that conclusion. I think he was another leader and ear that the players liked a lot. I think he had the passion that this coaching staff needed and was a younger voice with clout and had a more inovative approach to the game then his dad did. I believe he had his dad's ear and I also know that Iowa's winning percentage jumped a game a season and once Brian got into a higher position of power.

Also, if you think that it wasn't Kirk's offense and it was solely Brian who orchestrated the last place offense in college football and all the liability lays at his feet, then I could see where you come to that conclusion. Brian recruited all of those pieces. He designed the scheme. He called all the plays and had his hands so deep in things that he was the only person calling the shots.

I don't think that personally and my guess is neither was the case.
The team would literally have been better off punting than running plays against the ranked opponents they played. This team was all defense and special teams, how did Brian help?

I made the argument several times when people wanted Brian gone that

1. this job is career suicide, no one wants to take it. Would you after what has happened to Brian? I mean, someone will take this job but the chances of it being a young upcoming coach with a great offensive mind is about 0%. This is a dead end job with a coach who is on his final 10 yards.

2. people assume we will upgrade at coach, I don't really assume that. Sure we might, but we might have just axed the guy who is a intrical part of Iowa footballs success. I would say that is more likely then Iowa suddenly gets a better coach as an OC.
You understand we were dead last in offense for three years under him…right?

Don't we almost have to upgrade? BF was the worst. He made Davis look better and that is tough to do.

I just want someone who was a successful OC last season. I don't care where. Just someone who knows how to call plays and put a scheme together. BF had neither skill.
Honest question here. Does everyone think that BF came up with Iowa's offensive scheme? Do you think he had autonomy on play calling? I've never thought that was the case in either instance but that's just my view of it.

The team would literally have been better off punting than running plays against the ranked opponents they played. This team was all defense and special teams, how did Brian help?
It's almost like someone thought that was the best way to win the B1G West or something.

Honest question here. Does everyone think that BF came up with Iowa's offensive scheme? Do you think he had autonomy on play calling? I've never thought that was the case in either instance but that's just my view of it.
I don't think he came up with the scheme. It was the scheme when he was a player and it is what he knew. Its the same offense KOK ran as far as I can tell.

Yes, I think BF called the plays. KF put a governor on, but KF is not the playcaller. I think KF dictated personnel/starters.

You understand we were dead last in offense for three years under him…right?
I do. I also know that Iowa built their defense and ST by design to compete with the teams on their schedule every season. If we take focus off those areas, (D and ST) they will take a step back. That's how it works. Changing that kind of thing starts from recruitting on up.

Iowa has rarely had WR's in the entirety of it's program. It's almost like we have a coach that realizes he's not going to just outscore other teams by throwing the rock around the field. There's a lot of ways to skin a cat.

The offense sucked but like, are we sure that it was Brian that was calling all the shots there? I don't think Brian was calling the shots on anything. I've always been the impression that Brian was more like the company man. A protector of the brand, the fill in and do whatever role is needed to help the entirety of the program. Develop players, be a role model and one of the voices of leadership.

Ya know, he probably was more in the role of an untitled "Assistant Head Coach" that Wallace just took the reigns of. Could you imagine if they actually told IA fans that he was the assistant HC? OC was his title and his burden but like, Iowa wins as a team, they lose as a team. I feel confident that Brian worked with what he was given and it was a shit sandwhich.

Iowa puts it's focus on D - if anyone still wonders if that's the case I don't know what to tell you.

I don't think he came up with the scheme. It was the scheme when he was a player and it is what he knew. Its the same offense KOK ran as far as I can tell.

Yes, I think BF called the plays. KF put a governor on, but KF is not the playcaller. I think KF dictated personnel/starters.
So, like trying to make a cake but missing eggs, sugar, and frosting and then when it comes time to judge your result, you're like, holy shit this cake sucks.

Lol. That was a great summation of Greg. I cursed the tv so much when he was here. “How in the hell did this guy ever win a national championship as an offensive coordinator???”

Is it fair or was the head of the snake the real problem? The guy coached a national championship team. Yes, his age could have been a factor or maybe he was handcuffed.

My biggest hope with Greg when he was brought in was that he would bring in some speedsters for receivers. Yeah those three (yards) and out were very dangerous. Last year brought new meaning to three and out to the offense.

Hopefully we will be surprised with the new OC and the last three seasons were an eye opener for you know who.

Last edited:
After reflecting on the season, i've come to believe that not only was talent lacking on the O-Line, WR and QB, but there must have been extraordinary incompetence to be F* LAST in so many offensive categories. Its stunning when you think about it. That takes some doing.

Hey...my Cubbies hired Craig Counsell as a total shocker. Maybe I'll go 2 for 2 in offseason barn burners this year! (I can dream...)
I'm a Brewers fan and am still pissed off about this. It was a total shocker for sure. You bet your ass I have May 3, 2024 circled on my calendar. :)

I do. I also know that Iowa built their defense and ST by design to compete with the teams on their schedule every season. If we take focus off those areas, (D and ST) they will take a step back. That's how it works. Changing that kind of thing starts from recruitting on up.

Iowa has rarely had WR's in the entirety of it's program. It's almost like we have a coach that realizes he's not going to just outscore other teams by throwing the rock around the field. There's a lot of ways to skin a cat.

The offense sucked but like, are we sure that it was Brian that was calling all the shots there? I don't think Brian was calling the shots on anything. I've always been the impression that Brian was more like the company man. A protector of the brand, the fill in and do whatever role is needed to help the entirety of the program. Develop players, be a role model and one of the voices of leadership.

Ya know, he probably was more in the role of an untitled "Assistant Head Coach" that Wallace just took the reigns of. Could you imagine if they actually told IA fans that he was the assistant HC? OC was his title and his burden but like, Iowa wins as a team, they lose as a team. I feel confident that Brian worked with what he was given and it was a shit sandwhich.

Iowa puts it's focus on D - if anyone still wonders if that's the case I don't know what to tell you.
Ok…captain Kirk. Translation - we wouldn’t have won the west unless we were dominating defensively (minus the three games we gave up 96 points) which also means…our offense had to be dead last in the country in order for it all to fit together. Gotcha

Ok…captain Kirk. Translation - we wouldn’t have won the west unless we were dominating defensively (minus the three games we gave up 96 points) which also means…our offense had to be dead last in the country in order for it all to fit together. Gotcha
No, I did't say any of that. Our offense needs to be better and I am 100% all in for change and it needed to happen. I just don't know that I fully agree or think ALL of THAT really fell at Brian's feet. In fact, I would say he was a small part of the ultimate cog that was holding our offense back. But, OC was his title and he faced the music for it. I just don't expect an immediate spark or upgrade at the positon. I personally feel it was falling on the sword more than lack of his coaching ability. Whateves, he gone now. Iowa does not make offense a priority within their program, that comes from the top and I don't expect it to magically start showing up in the top half of CFB offenses...mostly because it's not built for that currently with our recruiting and talent make up.

Vince Young
Colt McCoy
Jamaal Charles
Limas Sweed

And a bunch of other dudes. Kirk couldn’t realize that GD wouldn’t be working with that at Iowa?

Instead of this lame ass trolling bullshit. How about having a real thought or opinion and get back with us.

Latest posts