Twitter is buzzin' with rumors of Brennan Marion as OC

Rob, let's have a little fun with this on a Tuesday afternoon...

I believe you when you say you guys in the media don't get insider info. KF doesn't roll that way and it seems he's got pretty tight clamp on the athletic staff.

But let's say in an imaginary world there was a cure for world hunger and disease, and the only way to discover it--no matter how long the odds--would be to correctly guess the next OC at Iowa. Because the upside would be so huge you'd have to take your best guess...

Who you got in that situation? :)

Philbin has been my guess for about a month. He checks a lot of KF's boxes. I also don't think people are lining up for the gig.

Idk how much legs this actually ever had...but I'm beginning to wonder (fear?) how many 'No's we've gotten so far. It just feels like that's the issue here. And sadly I don't blame em.

Philbin has been my guess for about a month. He checks a lot of KF's boxes. I also don't think people are lining up for the gig.
These are both safe statements.

A guy like Philbin may not like being under someone's yoke again and he knows KF does not afford a great deal of latitude. As a consultant, he isn't making decisions or being bossed around. He just shares his opinions and let's the real coaches decide shit. You get to be a certain age and don't want to take orders anymore, especially ones you don't like. He also may not like being KF's backup.

I would imagine any up and comer who is on a fast track to bigger things is going to ask KF if he has a free hand, and when KF says No, that ends that convo.

I have thought for a while that if he does not find one of his two older buddies to come in and take over HIS offense, that the risk was finding another scrapheap guy like Davis that no one wanted. My Texas buddies laughed when we hired that guy. Loudly. So, my guess right now is that we get someone whose name we don't recognize and it will be a Davis 2.0.

This scene came to mind as I imagined KF out on the lonely road looking for an OC all by himself.

Hey...my Cubbies hired Craig Counsell as a total shocker. Maybe I'll go 2 for 2 in offseason barn burners this year! (I can dream...)

There are 130 teams listed in the FBS statistical rankings. Iowa is 130th in total offense, now you know why it's taking so long to find an O.C. so K.F. can show Brian's firing was a mistake and should not have happened nor was it warranted. This search will take a while! The only thing that would be more troubling as if in tomorrow's news we find out that the o-line coach is promoted to O.C.

This is my best guess too, but not what I think the program needs. Keep in mind that Kirk isn’t getting any younger and it might be wise to find a younger OC who could step in when Kirk retires. Maybe someone in their late thirties to mid forties that can step in and take over once Kirk retires.

For krist's sake, hire the Iowa Western CC guy and call it good! Time to move on.

I suppose I should Google his name.

For krist's sake, hire the Iowa Western CC guy and call it good! Time to move on.

I suppose I should Google his name.

Paul Chryst

My choice over Philbin if I had to choose. More offensive minded from what I have read. I likely would get more nap time with Philbin.

I like the coach with the go go offense as it looks creative and fun. Iowa fans deserve some fun on the field and not what we have seen for twenty-five years. Whomever it is their offense can’t be worse can it??? Seriously it can’t.

These are both safe statements.

A guy like Philbin may not like being under someone's yoke again and he knows KF does not afford a great deal of latitude. As a consultant, he isn't making decisions or being bossed around. He just shares his opinions and let's the real coaches decide shit. You get to be a certain age and don't want to take orders anymore, especially ones you don't like. He also may not like being KF's backup.

I would imagine any up and comer who is on a fast track to bigger things is going to ask KF if he has a free hand, and when KF says No, that ends that convo.

I have thought for a while that if he does not find one of his two older buddies to come in and take over HIS offense, that the risk was finding another scrapheap guy like Davis that no one wanted. My Texas buddies laughed when we hired that guy. Loudly. So, my guess right now is that we get someone whose name we don't recognize and it will be a Davis 2.0.
Didn't Davis had two Heisman winners at QB while at Texas? McCoy and Vince Young. I could be wrong. It's getting late.

At this point, Kirk has been unable land on an OC. Certainly all the coaching changes have muddied up finding a replacement. However, he has had an opening since 10/30/2023. It probably safe to say that Paul Chryst or Joe Philbin want/wanted the job. It may also be apparent that there are not a lot of proven coordinators interested in the job. Why?

1. Kirk's Age?
2. Kirk's antiquated ideas on offense?
3. The current players fit with a different style of offense?
4. Kirk's micro-management of the offense?
5. Big Ten Expansion in 2024 makes job more difficult?
6. Fan Criticism?

It certainly appears that the pool of candidates is pretty small because so many don't fit with Kirk's philosophy.

I made the argument several times when people wanted Brian gone that

1. this job is career suicide, no one wants to take it. Would you after what has happened to Brian? I mean, someone will take this job but the chances of it being a young upcoming coach with a great offensive mind is about 0%. This is a dead end job with a coach who is on his final 10 yards.

2. people assume we will upgrade at coach, I don't really assume that. Sure we might, but we might have just axed the guy who is a intrical part of Iowa footballs success. I would say that is more likely then Iowa suddenly gets a better coach as an OC.

1. this job is career suicide, no one wants to take it. Would you after what has happened to Brian? I mean, someone will take this job but the chances of it being a young upcoming coach with a great offensive mind is about 0%. This is a dead end job with a coach who is on his final 10 yards.

2. people assume we will upgrade at coach, I don't really assume that. Sure we might, but we might have just axed the guy who is a intrical part of Iowa footballs success. I would say that is more likely then Iowa suddenly gets a better coach as an OC.
I appreciate positivity but the guy who led the last place offense in college football was integral to Iowa's success?

For those who keep saying no one decent will take this job, I can give you a million reasons to suggest otherwise. KF may not get his first few choices, but there are a lot of guys toiling at smaller schools making 250k that would love a salary bump. There are good young coaches at that level, but KF is going to have to be flexible to land guys like that because its pretty hard to convince a young coach to take the same suicide pact that they just saw Brian take.

Its not hard to say, "I want run/pass balance, pro style, ball control, and ball security, but beyond that I will give you a free hand to shape this offense to reflect your vision." If he says that, there are a lot of guys who would see this as an opportunity to make a name for themselves as the ultimate reclamation project!

Scott Strohmeier - he's a hell of a coach but sometimes schools like Iowa who have a pipeline to a program like IWCC, want that coach to stay right where he is.

Is he looking to move up/on? Seems like with his success he's had some decent opportunities. Maybe not. I don't follow the JUCOs that closely.

I appreciate positivity but the guy who led the last place offense in college football was integral to Iowa's success?
Well, if you think that was all Brian Ferentz did for program, I could see where you might come to that conclusion. I think he was another leader and ear that the players liked a lot. I think he had the passion that this coaching staff needed and was a younger voice with clout and had a more inovative approach to the game then his dad did. I believe he had his dad's ear and I also know that Iowa's winning percentage jumped a game a season and once Brian got into a higher position of power.

Also, if you think that it wasn't Kirk's offense and it was solely Brian who orchestrated the last place offense in college football and all the liability lays at his feet, then I could see where you come to that conclusion. Brian recruited all of those pieces. He designed the scheme. He called all the plays and had his hands so deep in things that he was the only person calling the shots.

I don't think that personally and my guess is neither was the case.

Is he looking to move up/on? Seems like with his success he's had some decent opportunities. Maybe not. I don't follow the JUCOs that closely.
I don't think he's looking for that, he's pretty entrenched in the community and most of his family is in this area. That said, you gotta listen when the big boys come calling and I'd never say never. He's indicated to anyone around him that he feels like he has it made at IWCC.

1. @InGoodCo Im surpirsed to see this coming from you. YOU of all posters who's the leading candidate for Mr. Optimisim Sunshine Popper. I agree with you. But when the grown ups are in the room with the candidate the story can change. Consider Cade. How in the world did they convince him? Maybe KF has some charisma and an informed narrative that we discount.

2. I think a new OC and force some new thinking was required to fix something that is broken.

1. @InGoodCo Im surpirsed to see this coming from you. YOU of all posters who's the leading candidate for Mr. Optimisim Sunshine Popper. I agree with you. But when the grown ups are in the room with the candidate the story can change. Consider Cade. How in the world did they convince him? Maybe KF has some charisma and an informed narrative that we discount.

2. I think a new OC and force some new thinking was required to fix something that is broken.
I'm really not a sunshine pumper, I get that stigma attached to my name because I like to call out posters who are completlely unfair and clearly has a biase towards a player or a coach - so that rubs a lot of the negative nellys the wrong way. I am pretty critical of Iowa sports in general, but I try and be fair and honest about it.

Latest posts