Twitter is buzzin' with rumors of Brennan Marion as OC

Eilkolt sp? Published an update for VIP only probably saying who’s not a candidate among rumors
Basically it said to delete this thread. He has a lot of good info, but out of respect for him and the insiders, I don't share it here. When I see something on there, I wait to see if it's on Twitter, etc. Then I'll post it. He does eliminate names that have been mentioned and insiders have told the day it will be announced.

He has a WR's coaching background so I wonder if this happens if some of the thought would happen to be his ability to recruit more talent to Iowa as well as coach. His young age might help with this as well.

I watched those videos above, and I have to say I am very impressed with him and this offense. It creates space to run and confusion, along with a vertical passing game. Ya don't have to sacrifice a power run game to run this offense and can incorporate a power run game in it. It does not require a running QB to run and some who have not been "running" QB's were able to gain yards in it. So, a team isn't corn holed into having to get a running QB, per se. But, a running QB would be even better. I think what it really does well, is just create confusion and more open running lanes. I love the 2 back concept and uneven alignments. I'm sure TE's could be incorporated in the offense if not now for an even more power game.

Last edited:
Chryst has announced he is staying at Texas, and the word now is that Philbin and Marion are out as candidates (the rumor is that both declined).

It appears very unlikely that we will see that anticipated late January announcement.

The rumors that end in "X candidate declined the offer" are absolute bullshit. That is not how the process works. Middlemen (search agencies) identify acceptable candidates to KF and reach out to see if there is any interest. Usually, there is at least a courtesy call taken or maybe something more formal. But, no formal job offer is going to be made unless KF knows it will be accepted. That information is passed back and forth between the two sides by the middlemen until there is a mutual understanding that KF wants the candidate and the candidate wants the job. Only then is a job offer extended. That is all done to protect from this very sort of dumb rumor mill process of KF allegedly making a half dozen offers and everyone turning him down. Not how it is happening.

A candidate saying they do not have interest in a position after conversations with KF is not the same as them turning down the job. Stop it, haters.

A candidate saying they do not have interest in a position after conversations with KF is not the same as them turning down the job. Stop it, haters.

This is a correct statement. They are not turning the OC position down. They are turning down KF and his offensive philosophy.

The rumors that end in "X candidate declined the offer" are absolute bullshit. That is not how the process works. Middlemen (search agencies) identify acceptable candidates to KF and reach out to see if there is any interest. Usually, there is at least a courtesy call taken or maybe something more formal. But, no formal job offer is going to be made unless KF knows it will be accepted. That information is passed back and forth between the two sides by the middlemen until there is a mutual understanding that KF wants the candidate and the candidate wants the job. Only then is a job offer extended. That is all done to protect from this very sort of dumb rumor mill process of KF allegedly making a half dozen offers and everyone turning him down. Not how it is happening.

I wouldn't have thought that... I didn't think KF would be working through any agencies for this. I'm not saying it isn't true this is just the first I'm hearing it. I figured he was pounding the phones himself maybe emailing guys. Those search agencies I figured were just for the HC gigs that ADs used. Those cost $ usually a significant amount that would have to be made public due to it being university funds paying for it. Media usually would have to put in an open records request for it since schools rarely just offer it up. But it can't be kept totally discreat.

For the most part, this is correct, however, there are instances where coaches ultimately turn down the actual offer after they have had time to ponder the situation. This happened in Green Bay a few years ago when Jim Leonhard interviewed for the DC position, but then declined when offered.

Just to be clear, in the context of my post above, what I had heard is that they declined consideration, not a job offer.

I've posted this PSA before but be careful what you buy into in terms of speculation. None of us in the media have inside info because KF is way too smart to share info on the search. A lot of it then is media reporting on media reports. Pretty common these days.

I've posted this PSA before but be careful what you buy into in terms of speculation. None of us in the media have inside info because KF is way too smart to share info on the search. A lot of it then is media reporting on media reports. Pretty common these days.
MLB off-season has become this too. Very little are actual rumors, it's either misinformation getting released to reporters to push teams/agents into action or it's all speculation that gets circled around and around as if it's actual rumors.

I don't think Ferentz plays the misinformation game at all.

No doubt.

I think at the end of the day most fans understand that rumors are just that - rumors. KF is going to keep things tight to the vest, but leaks can still get out depending upon what potential candidates say and do.

If it wasn't for rumors, speculation, opinion, etc., I doubt these forums would exist though. It's kind of an adult version of middle-school mania about how so-and-so likes so-and-so.... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't have thought that... I didn't think KF would be working through any agencies for this. I'm not saying it isn't true this is just the first I'm hearing it. I figured he was pounding the phones himself maybe emailing guys. Those search agencies I figured were just for the HC gigs that ADs used. Those cost $ usually a significant amount that would have to be made public due to it being university funds paying for it. Media usually would have to put in an open records request for it since schools rarely just offer it up. But it can't be kept totally discreat.
I have no insider information. Maybe KF hasn't hired a formal search firm, but his agent calls Chryst's agent and strikes up the conversation. Or you have a common coaching connection.

Look, maybe with Philben and Chryst he knows them well enough to cold call them, but usually this stuff is done through third parties. Either way, I doubt KF is calling up multiple candidates, giving them formal job offers, and then being turned down. Its just not the way you hire for high level positions like this.

Think of it this way. In high school, guys would rarely walk up to a girl cold and ask her out. You have your friend check with her friends and then you chat her up and see if the right vibe is there and then only if it is clear that she will say yes if you ask, do you ask. Why, so the entire school does not hear that you crashed and burned.

Rob, let's have a little fun with this on a Tuesday afternoon...

I believe you when you say you guys in the media don't get insider info. KF doesn't roll that way and it seems he's got pretty tight clamp on the athletic staff.

But let's say in an imaginary world there was a cure for world hunger and disease, and the only way to discover it--no matter how long the odds--would be to correctly guess the next OC at Iowa. Because the upside would be so huge you'd have to take your best guess...

Who you got in that situation? :)

Chryst has announced he is staying at Texas, and the word now is that Philbin and Marion are out as candidates (the rumor is that both declined).

It appears very unlikely that we will see that anticipated late January announcement.

That would be rich if that is a legit rumor about Phibin and Marion. What don’t want to coach with a control freak???

I have no insider information. Maybe KF hasn't hired a formal search firm, but his agent calls Chryst's agent and strikes up the conversation. Or you have a common coaching connection.

Look, maybe with Philben and Chryst he knows them well enough to cold call them, but usually this stuff is done through third parties. Either way, I doubt KF is calling up multiple candidates, giving them formal job offers, and then being turned down. Its just not the way you hire for high level positions like this.

Think of it this way. In high school, guys would rarely walk up to a girl cold and ask her out. You have your friend check with her friends and then you chat her up and see if the right vibe is there and then only if it is clear that she will say yes if you ask, do you ask. Why, so the entire school does not hear that you crashed and burned.
I would think with technology being what it is they'd reach out via email or calls and see if they want to explore it. Then get on zoom to talk more and maybe they even conduct official interviews that way. I just don't see search committees being involved for assistant coaches.

Idk how much legs this actually ever had...but I'm beginning to wonder (fear?) how many 'No's we've gotten so far. It just feels like that's the issue here. And sadly I don't blame em...

Idk how much legs this actually ever had...but I'm beginning to wonder (fear?) how many 'No's we've gotten so far. It just feels like that's the issue here. And sadly I don't blame em...

a bad offense for years can not only lose you games, it can lose you your reputation

Latest posts