Tracking 2013 Class Offers

by your reasoning Shaw the all time leader in Iowa history, Bell, Banks, Russell and even Green were avg backs as they all ran behind some very good OL

by your reasoning Shaw the all time leader in Iowa history, Bell, Banks, Russell and even Green were avg backs as they all ran behind some very good OL

Not sure if this is meant for me but what I like to do is actually watch the player then make a decision on how good they are based on what I see. Some people decide how good people are based solely on stats.

So why even have an RB coach then? If the line is all that matters, let's just have two line coaches. Hell, why even have a QB or WR coach? Those positions are entirely dependent on the line as well. We'll just tell the QBs to throw and WRs to catch. As long as our world famous OL does their job, we'll be in the next 5 Rose Bowls. Brilliant!

Were the lines that Shaw and Banks ran behind all that great (assuming Tavian). I'm not sur they were as great as some others we have seen. I would say Freddie was average yes, he's not playing in the NFL, was he a good college RB, yeah, but that is about it. Greene was a very good RB, but he is also the all time leading single season rusher in Iowa history, so I think it is safe to say that even though he had a good line he had great talent. Bell,, same thing, though not sure on his OL.

There's hope though because coach said this week that he might consider putting someone in a full time recruiting role but not for maybe two years or more. He hadn't really given it much thought. Coach, you might want to look at the game film again today and consider further thought on the matter.
WTF is this guy's problem? Nebraska already pays a consulting service that evaluates recruits and advises them on which ones to go after.

RenoHightower;98[U said:
[/U]0721]So why even have an RB coach then? If the line is all that matters, let's just have two line coaches. Hell, why even have a QB or WR coach? Those positions are entirely dependent on the line as well. We'll just tell the QBs to throw and WRs to catch. As long as our world famous OL does their job, we'll be in the next 5 Rose Bowls. Brilliant!

Is it really that hard to understand that a good oline can make an average running back look above average?

the Olines under Fry were very good, and KF was the OLINE coach back then, no matter how good the OL is you have to have va RB that can hit the hole and do something wityh the ball.
oh by the way getting to the NFL DOES NOT = GREAT RB
and Coker had 2 200+ yard games in the 18 games he played. and AVG backs just don't do that, let alone once, did anybody stop to think that playing FB for this kid does not sit at the top of his list of thing to do.. if it was he would not have gone to a DII school. is goal is to get into NASA

the Olines under Fry were very good, and KF was the OLINE coach back then, no matter how good the OL is you have to have va RB that can hit the hole and do something wityh the ball.
and Coker had 2 200+ yard games in the 18 games he played. and AVG backs just don't do that, let alone once, did anybody stop to think that playing FB for this kid does not sit at the top of his list of thing to do.. if it was he would not have gone to a DII school. is goal is to get into NASA

Those games where he ran for over 200 yards were pure domination by the oline.

#stonybrook

Is it really that hard to understand that a good oline can make an average running back look above average?
Is it really that hard to understand that a position coach should get credit when his position group performers well (especially when the talent is clearly far from elite)?

Berkley Edwards's father has stated he his hearing "rumors" about 2 out of their top 3 schools' coaches being fired, Ferentz and Tedford from Cal. I'm sure these are recruiting tactics in play here as Ferentz has no chance of being fired. Regardless of what happens, the thought of Iowa's coach being on the hot seat could be enough scare off Edwards.

Is it really that hard to understand that a position coach should get credit when his position group performers well (especially when the talent is clearly far from elite)?

What about when the attrition rate at his positio is insane (excludig injuries), should he also get credit for that?

Sounds to me like you agree with my original post that said our running backs are serviceable so I'm not sure why you're directing heat at me. As far as the coach goes, I don't see evidence either way in regards to on field performance.

FYI, Erb's first year as a WR coach was in 2008. Other than Shonn Greene the guy has not done much other than have attritions.

Latest posts