Tracking 2013 Class Offers

On running backs--
One thing worth considering is that it seems that running backs, more than just about any other position, both transfer after they've been at a school for a year or two and change their commitment before signing day. In each of the last two classes, Iowa has landed a running back in January that had previously committed to a rival school (Mi'kail McCall, MSU, and Barkley Hill, ISU). I could see Iowa biding their time at the running back position to see if a guy "becomes available" late in the process.

I have no problem with grabbing one or two late, but ignoring our depth issues there is beyond stupid, unless the new offensive staff is committed to abandoning the run and going with the short passing game a la Colt McCoy at Texas.

So we're just going to play without runningbacks because "the talent isn't there"?

Keep in mind that Iowa has 4 underclassmen currently on scholarship at the top of the depth chart. That includes Jordan Canzeri, who is likely out for the year, but doesn't include walk-ons Andre Dawson, a RsSo, and Mike Malloy, a TrFr who may end up at receiver. I think there's a real possibility that Iowa's staff perceives there to be quite a bit of young depth on the roster right now, even if many fans don't see it that way.

Edit: I forgot about DeAndre Johnson. That makes 5 underclassmen at the top of the depth chart.

Last edited:
i would say we are looking at 1 rb and 1 lb along with 1 floater (possibly an lb or dl). we have lots of rbs if people stay...1 recruit will be enough this yr.

2013 will look like
frosh - 1 recruit
soph - canzeri, hill, garmon
jr - bullock, johnson
sr - dawson (walk-on...pretty sure he is a jr this yr)

that isnt including malloy (walk-on) probably moving to wr, meier who will probably switch to lb or de, or walk-ons such as binns (1 example).

so that gives us six rbs next yr if we get 1 recruit...and i feel garmon is the only transfer risk (complete guess, but hope he doesnt).

Andre Dawson redshirted as a frosh in 2010 at UNI and was a RsFr in 2011 at IWCC, so he's technically a RsSo this year. IDK why, but his profile on the Iowa website says he's a junior.

Andre Dawson redshirted as a frosh in 2010 at UNI and was a RsFr in 2011 at IWCC, so he's technically a RsSo this year. IDK why, but his profile on the Iowa website says he's a junior.

ok thanks for the correction but still puts my numbers the same just moves the senior to the junior group. not seeming like we should be going to get more than 1 rb. 5 scholarship rbs (that would be including 1 recruit) isnt pretty standard. some go for 6 but the 5-6 range is solid and dawson or someone could earn a scholly and maybe meier never switches positions (doubt it).

So we're just going to play without runningbacks because "the talent isn't there"?

YEAH, since we currently have 5 guys on the roster that are RBs. Why get a 7th one if he's not any good and waste the scholarship for 4/5 years? Doesn't make sense if you can get a player at another position of need. I guess I don't know why you think we have no running backs right now and signing a kid that isn't that good is going to solve that.

I forgot about Dawson and Malloy..

Still think 1 RB is in the cards.. and I really hope it's Edwards. Soup must be working that Michigan angle hard..

Some of you guys don't follow Iowa football very close.

We have no idea whether Garmon will ever play here, and even if he does, how long will he last?

Canzeri may never fully recover from his injury.

The have tried 3 different times to move Bullock to WR.

DeAndre Johnson is not a legit D1 football talent.

But yeah, lots of great depth there.

Some of you guys don't follow Iowa football very close.We have no idea whether Garmon will ever play here, and even if he does, how long will he last?Canzeri may never fully recover from his injury.The have tried 3 different times to move Bullock to WR.DeAndre Johnson is not a legit D1 football talent.But yeah, lots of great depth there.

getting a running back that isn't very good just for the sake of getting one isn't going to add great depth

Some of you guys don't follow Iowa football very close.

We have no idea whether Garmon will ever play here, and even if he does, how long will he last?

Canzeri may never fully recover from his injury.

The have tried 3 different times to move Bullock to WR.

DeAndre Johnson is not a legit D1 football talent.

But yeah, lots of great depth there.

So wait a minute. You are telling me that you would sign a player that isn't as talented as even Johnson just to get depth, but you don't consider Johnson talented enough to be depth? So basically you want to add someone that is likely at Johnson's level even though you don't think Johnson is worth the scholarship. That makes no sense. You're right, Garmon is only in Iowa City now and we don't know what we will get from any player, but you just want to get a RB to get a RB even though he may add absolutely nothing to the team. That seems like a great strategy.

Indianapolis LB Tim Kimbrough has committed to Georgia.

Edit: In light of this and Mike Mitchell's imminent commitment somewhere other than Iowa (probably Ohio State), the Hawkeyes are left with no LBs left on the board. Iowa only has one true LB commit right now, with Trevon Young being a potential second OLB. With the limited spots remaining, I could see Iowa going after a MLB, but I'm not sure who that would be. Perhaps Reggie Spearman of Chicago would get an offer, or maybe the coaches would wait to offer a couple of guys after they see senior film.

Last edited:
A few updates:
-Safety Josh Jones committed to Illinois last weekend.
-247Sports is now reporting an Iowa offer for DT Lauren Jackson of East Mississippi CC.
-DB Trevor Walker decommited from Washington St a couple weeks back. Scout reports that he holds an Iowa offer, but I don't think there is mutual interest right now.

Kenney and Augusta would make for very solid DL. I really hope we can grab this guy. He also has the 'star power' and is in the ESPN top 150. It would definitely help move us up and help solidify our spot in the top 25 recruiting class.

Kenney and Augusta would make for very solid DL. I really hope we can grab this guy. He also has the 'star power' and is in the ESPN top 150. It would definitely help move us up and help solidify our spot in the top 25 recruiting class.

I think Augusta and Edwards would really make this class great.

Here's hoping..

Latest posts