Top 25 Recruiting Class

Olaseni will not be better than Cole was last year. I would bet huge money on that.

Not next year he wont. Down the road??? I think there is a very good chance he will be, so it depends on what you are trading for. If you are looking at next year only the Olesani trade would be insane but if your looking beyond next year there is plenty of room for debate.

Olesani won't be an upgrade next season, but we really shouldn't be looking at this next year for a huge upgrade in results. We have a shot at decent improvement but it should be considered a nice surprise if it happens.

I think Cole is overrated by most Iowa fans. Gabe will be a bigger defense presence instantly, and if he can match Cole's six boards a game, I won't mind the lack of offensive production.

Cole is likable, but an average at best Big Ten player.

I think Olesani has a much higher ceiling than Cole. But it is to bad he is not able to use a redshirt as he could benefit big time with a year to just sit and learn. He is still learning the game and it might take a couple of years to start seeing his true potential.

I think Olesani has a much higher ceiling than Cole. But it is to bad he is not able to use a redshirt as he could benefit big time with a year to just sit and learn. He is still learning the game and it might take a couple of years to start seeing his true potential.
Technically he can still redshirt. :)
But I get what you are saying.

Macon talked about his schools and did not mention Iowa,while mentioning West Va.,Pitt,and Maryland. I think Iowa is a longshot. I would take Gavin Thurman,who is visiting this weekend and be very pleased. Kid can shoot,and we need shooters.

you are clearly star gazers when discounting Olaseni, i liked Cole but please don't try to make him out to be a superstud

fina stat's from last year:

8.0 ppg
6.3 rpg
.5 apg
1.1 t/o pg
.3 bpg
1.3 stpg
25 mpg

not exactly unatainable stats, i won't be surprised to see him equal most of those stats except minutes played, the points if he shoots ft's well i could see 8-9 pg, rebounds 8-11 pg, bpg 4-5, i don't see the stls, but i do see the assits depending on his passing skills that maybe higher as well especially passing off to Basabe, so Cole is not going to be that hard to replace, as far as what he brought to the table as a SR, those will take time, at 6'10 and a true center, his ability to improve on the other stats are readily seen, but to the star gazers it will not be seen or even acknowledge, maybe i am a over zealous hawk fan , but i am not so blinded to go beyond the lack of stars to see the potential

I agree Dragon, very obtainable stats, Brommer should be close to his ppg/rebs(not mins) lol,Olaseni should be there on rebounds and surpass him on blocks, Anything positive out of archie(blocks/Rebs) + fouls to give will be a plus!! we'll be alright till Woody gets here!!! then have a nice combination of 4's and 5's................fingers crossed

you are clearly star gazers when discounting Olaseni, i liked Cole but please don't try to make him out to be a superstud

8.0 ppg
6.3 rpg
.5 apg
1.1 t/o pg
.3 bpg
1.3 stpg
25 mpg

not exactly unatainable stats, i won't be surprised to see him equal most of those stats except minutes played, the points if he shoots ft's well i could see 8-9 pg, rebounds 8-11 pg, bpg 4-5, i don't see the stls, but i do see the assits depending on his passing skills that maybe higher as well especially passing off to Basabe, so Cole is not going to be that hard to replace, as far as what he brought to the table as a SR, those will take time, at 6'10 and a true center, his ability to improve on the other stats are readily seen, but to the star gazers it will not be seen or even acknowledge, maybe i am a over zealous hawk fan , but i am not so blinded to go beyond the lack of stars to see the potential
If he would get 11 rpg,that would have led the Big 10 this past year.5 blocks pg would have also....by double.

Yeah, WE'RE the "star gazers"'

8.0 ppg
6.3 rpg
.5 apg
1.1 t/o pg
.3 bpg
1.3 stpg
25 mpg

Ya, I don't think overzealous Hawk fan goes far enough. You are living on a different planet. In your universe Olaseni might be a lottery pick next year.

I have a feeling that Gabe was not recruited to carry the scoring load. His value is Defense and rebounding. He is quick and athletic and will eventually help considerably protecting the basket if our press is beaten.

Cole's points and rebounds should not be that difficult to match, his leadership will not be that easy to replace. He was the heart and soul of the team last year. On a relatively young and inexperienced team, his composure really helped last season.

McCabe and Brommer should be able to hold their own under the basket. They are not afraid of contact at all, and will make our opponents seriously consider whether or not to take it to the hole without consequence. Who knows, they might come close to the intensity of Rhiner and Sonderliter who took no prisoners beneath the basket. I do remember them placing Kim Kardashian's husband on the floor at Minnesota time and again when he attempted his tough guy attitude. It's all idle speculation anyway, and the results remain to be seen.

the stat i posted were Coles stats as a senior not what i think Olaseni will do, and i would hope he averages more than half a block per game,, i don't look at stars like you do, i go off reading and what others see also, the few videos out there show his ability to run the court better than any center that we have had since Stokes and Payne, he looks to have that special knack and timing to block shots , does not jump at pump fakes plus as with most European bigs they tend to be better equipped to play at the next level than a lot of US bigs, but i guess with you guys it has to be watch and learn, but i am of the opinion that no matter how good he plays you will only see the bad

Your post said you could see Olesani getting 8-11 rpg. That would put him near the top of the league.

The responding poster said 5 blocks would also lead the league. There was a period ending the previous sentence. I read it the same way as you at first, but that was not the intent.

Last edited:
the stat i posted were Coles stats as a senior not what i think Olaseni will do, and i would hope he averages more than half a block per game,, i don't look at stars like you do, i go off reading and what others see also, the few videos out there show his ability to run the court better than any center that we have had since Stokes and Payne, he looks to have that special knack and timing to block shots , does not jump at pump fakes plus as with most European bigs they tend to be better equipped to play at the next level than a lot of US bigs, but i guess with you guys it has to be watch and learn, but i am of the opinion that no matter how good he plays you will only see the bad

European bigs are more prepared for the next level than American players? Now you have said everything... You really might be crazy.

European bigs are more prepared for the next level than American players? Now you have said everything... You really might be crazy.

Not only did he say everything, he said it all in one sentence! Truly remarkable.

I wholeheartedly agree Olaseni's ceiling is higher than Cole's. From what it sounds like he is athletic and he has good size. Depending on his work ethic he could be outstanding. Cole was just almost the definition of solid consistency, and that is hardly something you can expect from ANY freshman.

I would be extremely impressed with Olaseni if he could step in and be a major contributor at the Big 10 level. I’m not talking about when both teams play the sisters of the poor in the early season. I’m talking about conference play.

And you are right, I am looking at his star rating/offer lists. There are a lot of undersized guys that step in and play PF at a high level as under recruited freshman. Basabe, Ejim for ISU, Wesley Johnson, etc. There are very, very few traditional sized bigs that step in and play well as back to the basket defensive stoppers. And even the highly rated guys struggle at times.

as you wish, very few bigs concentrate on defense with them it is all about rebounding and scoring, this kid is defense 1st scoring second, his block will be determined by how often teams challenge him, also you appear to ignore the part about how the scoring will come, if he is a good "FT" shooter he could easily avg 8-11 pts a game 5-6 ft's and 2-3 dunks or put backs a game qyickly translte into pts, as for ooc games i expect him to be challenged often til he proves himself, even then he will have to prove to BT teams he can be a solid defender, when he proves he can blk shots, his stats will go down because teams will stop challenging him

i might expect a little more out of a 6'10 kid with the reach of a 7'2 kid who is defensive oriented, the knock on Woodbury is he doesn't use his height to influence shots, Woodbury is a scorer, so i don't expect him to block many shots another knock on him is ft shooting, rumor is his jr year he avg 35%, a definite Shaq attack waiting to happen if he doesn't improve, so in this case i will take a defensive oriented center that can shoot ft's, over a offensive minded center that can't

I like the option plan. Have both players to choose from as needed or play both at the same time. Let's hope the option plan turns out to be a reality.

Latest posts