Top 25 Recruiting Class

perhaps but this is not the past where players are content to sit on the bench, we are not on the level of a Duke or Kentucky where that happen or can get the one and done players, Iowa will get much better but todays kids want to play not sit and be practice fodder, i feel Fran wants and needs stability and that means no transfers, i will agree that if Macon or someone like him wants to come Fran will take him, but it will have to be a player of that caliber to warrent filling the roster, because face it kids have to be prepared to sit otherwise they come and go so fast that it disrupts the team chemistry, and it is so easy to do these days, so why get a kid that will leave after one year because he is unhappy, that is one of the reason Lick is gone, you want that type of envirenment again

I think you are totally missing the point here. It is doubtful to me that the incoming players will be the ones that will suffer for playing time. The Iowa roster hasn't been littered with a lot of talent. Players like Eric May and Zach McCabe are going to be the first to lose playing time with this year's class and next year's class, especially if Iowa brings in 5 or 6 kids. Marble is clearly better than May and it won't be long until White will be noticably better than May as well. McCabe is a player that is a tweener that needs to be really good at something to get any significant playing time after this year. Once Meyer comes in and possibly Macon, Zach will not see the floor. Oglesby will be a player that is clearly better than May after one season as well. There may be some situations where Iowa would like to put a defensive team on the floor then May is out there. There is a reason that May was benched last year and a reason the McCabe's playing time got less and less, except when he hit some shots.
The reason Iowa is going so aggresively after players is because the current roster doesn't cut it. The other thing to consider here is that Iowa isn't going out and brining in JUCO players or other transfers, so these kids will be around, it is the upperclassmen that will be in trouble for playing time, not the youngsters as Iowa continues to fill its roster. No matter how many deep Iowa goes, unless a freshman is redshirted, expect them to garner significant playing time.

The added depth will certainly make a difference. It seems that Fran is filling the roster with the players he wants in his system, who will be able to contribute on the floor no matter how much playing time they receive. He doesn't appear to be offering scholarships just to pad the bench.

I think you are totally missing the point here. It is doubtful to me that the incoming players will be the ones that will suffer for playing time. The Iowa roster hasn't been littered with a lot of talent. Players like Eric May and Zach McCabe are going to be the first to lose playing time with this year's class and next year's class, especially if Iowa brings in 5 or 6 kids. Marble is clearly better than May and it won't be long until White will be noticably better than May as well. McCabe is a player that is a tweener that needs to be really good at something to get any significant playing time after this year. Once Meyer comes in and possibly Macon, Zach will not see the floor. Oglesby will be a player that is clearly better than May after one season as well. There may be some situations where Iowa would like to put a defensive team on the floor then May is out there. There is a reason that May was benched last year and a reason the McCabe's playing time got less and less, except when he hit some shots.
The reason Iowa is going so aggresively after players is because the current roster doesn't cut it. The other thing to consider here is that Iowa isn't going out and brining in JUCO players or other transfers, so these kids will be around, it is the upperclassmen that will be in trouble for playing time, not the youngsters as Iowa continues to fill its roster. No matter how many deep Iowa goes, unless a freshman is redshirted, expect them to garner significant playing time.

I for one am a lot more optimistic about May this season. I think his numbers will be similar to Marble's and much better than White's.

Kinda hard on a kid who was just a freshman last year aren't you? I think McCabe is one of those players that will end up surprising people after he builds up a little more strength and gets a little more experience and gets his court presence down. He is a tenacious player who is not afraid to take it to the rim. I know it may not look that way right now and time will tell, but if I were to pick a sleeper at this time I would go with McCabe. Remember a sleeper is a player who seems to come out of no where to become a prominent player on a team. Hang in there kid and practice, practice, practice, and when you think you've practiced all you can then search deep down into your soul and find that last reserve of energy and practice some more. :)

Kinda hard on a kid who was just a freshman last year aren't you? I think McCabe is one of those players that will end up surprising people after he builds up a little more strength and gets a little more experience and gets his court presence down. He is a tenacious player who is not afraid to take it to the rim. I know it may not look that way right now and time will tell, but if I were to pick a sleeper at this time I would go with McCabe. Remember a sleeper is a player who seems to come out of no where to become a prominent player on a team. Hang in there kid and practice, practice, practice, and when you think you've practiced all you can then search deep down into your soul and find that last reserve of energy and practice some more. :)

Not being hard on the kid after his freshman year. I like the move for him to PF, but he originally came in as a SF and he cannot matchup at the 3 in the BIG, it is just reality. Otherwise, he would still be at the 3 position, plus Iowa has recruited better players at that position and with Marble growing, a position move is best for Zach.
Now, he is already a reserve at the 4 with Basabe entreched as the starter. Meyer is a player that supposedly can hit three pointer and also has some solid post moves. I like the attitude that McCabe plays with, but if a player with better talent and the same attitude comes along (Meyer) then he is in trouble for playing time.
McCabe can be a solid contributor in his career, you have to have depth and players that can provide a spark, McCabe does fit that role, but I just don't see him being a starter, nor a main piece to Iowa's long term success. Iowa is just recruiting better players at this point and will continue to do so. Look at the 2013 class and if Iowa gets Agau, he is listed now as a PF and is 6-9 with solid inside and outside skills and has a lot of athleticism...he will push for time.
McCabe could be a Hummel type, but he doesn't have the same type of talent.

McCabe was put at the 4 because of depth, and for the notion he can't play the 3 in the BT is BS, he is a year older and a lot stronger but because of depth he will be called upon to play the 4, but with White switching between the 3 & 4 the stress will be reduced, Marble will be switching between the 2 and 3 with him being a starter at the 2 in 2012-13, when Meyer comes in McCabe could very well the backup to White at the 3, to me the 2 deeps could look like this

Gesell and Ingram at pt
Marble and Ogelsbe at sg
May, White and McCabe at sf
Basabe and Meyer at pf
Olaseni and Woodbury at c

with those 11 players who do you suggest we get to sit on the bench, plus May, McCabe and Marble are the only ones left from the Lick regime and McCabe and Marble are ones that Fran had chance to let go but kept them, McCabe is a Iowa kid, and Marble is a legacy and would be here no matter who the coach is, if offered, with the way these recruits can switch between positions the depth will not be a problem, if Fran gets a top notch recruit like Macon great but i am not going to sit here and cry about holding 2 schollies for next year and saying we just have to fill the roster

Last edited:
We all hope these new recruits are as good as advertised. If McCabe has to sit on the bench a little more because of that fact so be it. I'm just saying that he comes off as a fighter with fire in his belly. Freshman years can be hard on a lot of players and the sophmore years usually will indicate which way a kid is progressing. May to me is a head scratcher. He looked great at first but this past season he just didn't seem to fit into any positon or role position real well. I think when it's all said and done people will look back at May's career and McCabe"s career and clearly say the McCabe was a much more factor than May was. It just a feeling I have. it also doesn't hurt that McCabe is a much more talented outside shooter. Sportstalent oh how I hope you are right in that the recruits we are getting are going to be much much more talented then what we had under Lickliter. It's obvious already in what we have already seen that we are going in the right direction. One point also to remember about McCabe is that often times had had an ability to be able to penatrate toward the basket. His problem was that he just wasn't able to quite finish as he would get snuffed at the hoop. We also know that Gatens has the same problem. They both need to just stop and make the little open ten foot jumper instead of trying to take it to the hoops against the other teams BIGS. I think once McCabe figures that out we will see him become the type of player we saw in Bobby Hansen where he had the knack to get into those short jumper situations and nail them. Even in the pros Bobby was know for his ability to penatrate and pop the ten to fifteen footers on a consistant basis.

May's problem is he has the dribbling ability of a toddler. Eric isn't a bad outside shooter, but why play off of him when he makes poor choices with the ball in hands, a turnover waiting to happen.
Zach is a tweener and it is a good move to make him a 4, he is a hard nosed player and is a fighter. The problem with him is he is a foul in waiting, like Brommer. McCabe does not move his feet and is a defensive liability, with the position move and if he is indeed stronger then the move to the 4 will work out well for him. He could be that spark plug off the bench that Iowa hasn't had in years because they haven't had a bench.
The incoming players are, on paper, better, but they still haven't played. If rankings hold out and Iowa gets Woodbury, then they will push for major playing time.
The starters for the 2012-13 season: Gesell, Oglesby, Marble, Basabe and Woodbury (if he does become a Hawk). You take a look at the bench and one would have to smile with the quality of player that would be there.
As far as holding scholarships for the 2013 class, I have zero issues, but if Iowa can add talent and quality depth that will contribute immediately, why wouldn't they? Get help today or wait another year? Hmmm, seems to make sense to get help today and if they are freshman, it isn't for the short term, it would be long term as they would be around for four years.
Woodbury has everyone's attention and if he comes to Iowa, then he will be the most talented 5 player Iowa has had for years. He is a starter from Day 1.

Dragon, you act like there is a load of talent on this team. This team is coming off back to back 20 loss seasons and they were not very competitive in the Big Ten at all. Fran needs to get the talent in here that can compete and I do not care if he burns every scholarship to get it done. You are worried about playing time about players that probably would not even come off the bench except for mop up duty on most other Big Ten teams. Fran needs to go out and accumulate as much talent that he can then come basketball season put the players out there that gives them the best chance to win.

I look for May and McCabe to be solid contributors this year. White will find that he is still not quite ready for the physicality fulltime,like McCabe did last year.
May was having a strong season last year,then got hurt,and never got back in the same groove. If he stays healthy, he will be very useful this year.

The Big Ten lost a lot of veteran talent last year,so our veterans,like Gatens,Bryce,May,Brommer,and even Archie,will have a physical edge.
They will all play quite a bit.

I look for May and McCabe to be solid contributors this year. White will find that he is still not quite ready for the physicality fulltime,like McCabe did last year.
May was having a strong season last year,then got hurt,and never got back in the same groove. If he stays healthy, he will be very useful this year.

The Big Ten lost a lot of veteran talent last year,so our veterans,like Gatens,Bryce,May,Brommer,and even Archie,will have a physical edge.
They will all play quite a bit.

I agree on the loss of a lot of players and I think this will allow Basabe to shine as a lot of the players that left were post players.

I have a feeling that Eric May will have a very good year, having the Sophomore jitters out of the way, after sustaining an injury and learning the ropes of a completely new system. There was a lot of pressure on him and Matt to carry the team last year, and the opponents were able to concentrate on them, especially on the perimeter. Aaron White and Josh Oglesby should help keep the defense honest. May is perhaps our best defender, and in my opinion, one of the best ever at Iowa, and his importance as a game changer is large. On occasion he would break a game open with one of his thunder dunks, ala SirJamelot or Doug Thomas, who were both somewhat limited with their offensive arsenal. Eric is one of those players who can dishearten the opposition with a quick steal and slam. I don't believe he was intended to be the leading scorer when recruited. We don''t want Eric playing point a lot however.

McCabe showed lots of potential and fearless intent to take it to the basket, which perhaps he should have reconsidered because it would seldom work. With improved footwork and stopping short of the basket for a shot off the backboard, he could help considerably. I do like his aggressive attitude and toughness. He should improve this year. His three from the perimeter could be a potent weapon, and was last year at times.

I look for improvement this year, teamwise and individually. The excitement is palpable, and when Adam enlists, we shall be officially on our way. Fran is assembling a very exciting, athletic and capable team that will lock down the opposition and score in bunches. Hope springs eternal, and shall be rewarded with success.

:)

if this team is so lousy, how did they beat Purdue when they had a piece of the title on the line, and rated #6 they should have blown such alousy team off the floor, the team may not be loaded with MCD players but you have to figure in the injuries, lack of depth, change in styles a 1st year player in Cartwright leading the BT in assists, we lose one player and gain 3, and no i don't count Payne because he didn't play, with the trade of 6'7 Cole who played out of posistion,for 6'10 Olaseni a true center, i will take that trade any day, plus he will turn 19 if he isn't already, so he is more developed than people give him credit for,we also have 5 players back tha started at some point last season, and that will be something that Lick never had, and Fran makes Lick look like a 3rd graders coach in ability and style, kids play better when they are having fun, as for banking 2 ships, i would love to just lose May and gain 3 next season especially if the 3 are Mannuel a 4* pt, Jok a bubbing star that ESPN says could be the next great Iowa player at sf, and Agau a 6'9 and still growing F/C, now i would love for you to tell me who we say sorry no room to, the recruiting is gaining momemtum and i would like to keep it going

Last edited:
McCabe was put at the 4 because of depth, and for the notion he can't play the 3 in the BT is BS, he is a year older and a lot stronger but because of depth he will be called upon to play the 4, but with White switching between the 3 & 4 the stress will be reduced, Marble will be switching between the 2 and 3 with him being a starter at the 2 in 2012-13, when Meyer comes in McCabe could very well the backup to White at the 3, to me the 2 deeps could look like this

Gesell and Ingram at pt
Marble and Ogelsbe at sg
May, White and McCabe at sf
Basabe and Meyer at pf
Olaseni and Woodbury at c

with those 11 players who do you suggest we get to sit on the bench, plus May, McCabe and Marble are the only ones left from the Lick regime and McCabe and Marble are ones that Fran had chance to let go but kept them, McCabe is a Iowa kid, and Marble is a legacy and would be here no matter who the coach is, if offered, with the way these recruits can switch between positions the depth will not be a problem, if Fran gets a top notch recruit like Macon great but i am not going to sit here and cry about holding 2 schollies for next year and saying we just have to fill the roster

LOL at anyone thinking McCabe can be a 3 at the Big Ten level. Maybe he can play there, but it will likely be for a 20 loss team like Iowa. You cannot use one game as your reasoning for saying this is a talented basketball team. Lick's team beat some highly ranked teams too. That is just awful, awful logic.

Everyone gets that you are super Hawkeye fan #1, but we are talking about a team that would have to overachieve to make the NIT.

And count me as a guy who would rather have the 6'7 Cole over the 6'10 Olesani. I will take skill over size any day in college basketball.

if this team is so lousy, how did they beat Purdue when they had a piece of the title on the line, and rated #6 they should have blown such alousy team off the floor, the team may not be loaded with MCD players but you have to figure in the injuries, lack of depth, change in styles a 1st year player in Cartwright leading the BT in assists, we lose one player and gain 3, and no i don't count Payne because he didn't play, with the trade of 6'7 Cole who played out of posistion,for 6'10 Olaseni a true center, i will take that trade any day, plus he will turn 19 if he isn't already, so he is more developed than people give him credit for,we also have 5 players back tha started at some point last season, and that will be something that Lick never had, and Fran makes Lick look like a 3rd graders coach in ability and style, kids play better when they are having fun, as for banking 2 ships, i would love to just lose May and gain 3 next season especially if the 3 are Mannuel a 4* pt, Jok a bubbing star that ESPN says could be the next great Iowa player at sf, and Agau a 6'9 and still growing F/C, now i would love for you to tell me who we say sorry no room to, the recruiting is gaining momemtum and i would like to keep it going
I'd take Macon over Agau every day of the week.

Last year Gatens and May hesitated to shoot when open on the perimeter, they would wait until they were covered. When they shot when open, in their spots and range, they had a good percentage. Perhaps the brainwashing from the Lick nightmare had a stranglehold on their subconscious. At any rate when Eric May shoots without hesitation from three point range, he never misses.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohEWsvDTZAg&feature=related]Eric May Dubuque Wahlert State Championship Shot - YouTube[/ame]

:) :)

Latest posts