Top 25 Recruiting Class

Brett,
I understand Iowa is not getting any of the undecideds in the top 50 but its possible to get 1-2 in the top 100 with a juco or another solid 2 or 3 star.

I would bet a month off the boards that this Iowa class ends the recruiting season no worse than #28.

With or without Woodbury?

For those who see little significance in being on the list this early, remember top recruits often gravitate towards top classes. Great starts turn heads and often. times gain momentum.

If Iowa was striking out to this point and only had one unimpressive commitment, I wouldn't like our chances with Woodbury nearly as much as I do right now. Likewise, if we get that commitment, I think we stand a much better shot at another big fish.
This certainly will get the attention of recruits. It would be difficult to seriously say that we are not on the right track now.....

One reason the ranking is so high might be that Meyer and Ingram are considered a bit better that a lot of people think. This ranking just might turn the corner for Adam, if he hasn't already chosen the Hawks, and is simply enjoying the prestige he has earned this Summer.

The Big Fish just might be on the way.....

broadbill12996.jpg

The Worley/Reiner/Recker class was top ten.
The Pierce/Sommerville class was top 20.
The Horner/Brunner class was top 25.

All of those classes had at least two top 60 players.
This is a good start for Fran...now,add Woodbury and cement a top 25 class and the Hawks are back as relevant in recruiting circles.

Brett,
I understand Iowa is not getting any of the undecideds in the top 50 but its possible to get 1-2 in the top 100 with a juco or another solid 2 or 3 star.

I would bet a month off the boards that this Iowa class ends the recruiting season no worse than #28.

So you are now arguing that filling out the class with 2 or 3 stars will help the class stay in the Top 25? Iowa happens to have three guys signed while most other schools will not fill up until the early signing day. It is simply the way the system works, and pointing it out does not make someone a downer on the class.

Edit: Gessell will likely fall some in the rankings because he will now be playing high school basketball in Nebraska and not on the AAU circuit in front of the scouts. He is also committed early which tends to drop some recruits in the scouting service rankings. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Last edited:
IAJay... I'm not arguing that 2 an 3 stars will keep thus class in the top 25, I'm arguing that I believe thus momentum may still bring us another top 150 kid or two.

If that happens and we fill out the last scholly with a solid juco or a nice position player....I believe that we will have a class very near the top 25.

Any class with 4 top 150 kids and 6 total schollys will likely fall in the top 25 range.

I'm also not calling anyone out as a downer...just speaking out as I see it.

i doubt this staff takes 6 in this class with Jok and Agua having offers for the next class, would hate to have to tell either one of them sorry we don't need you, and who do you want to say no too

Dragonhawk.. I think/ hope that if the opportunity presented itself to get both Woodbury and Macon (or other high quality big) we would take both and keep recruiting for an athletic / versitile/ ball handler type and go hard and selective after our choice few next season.

That would allow the staff time to show serious love to select few for the 13 class and more time for the 14 class.

Staggering classes is great but I don't think Iowa turns away talent to achieve it. I am 100% convinced we'll see Iowa spend 5 and increasingly warming to the idea of 6.

so who go you suggest the staff tells to take a hike, besides i don't recall any team that goes 12-13 deep in games, by suggesting what you are saying we take 6 knowing that you are getting at least 1 that will be on the bench no matter what, we lose 4 and if Woodbury commits that will give us 4, and if we get lucky to have a big fish falls into Fran's lap fine, we lose Cartwright and get Gesell, that's a positive trade, we lose Gatens and get Ingram defensively a upgrade but the jury is out on if it is a even swap or overall upgrade, we lose Archie and get Meyer definetly a upgrade in all facets, we lose Brommer and if we get Woodbury as i feel we will, this is a major upgrade, so i see no need to fill rides just to fill them especially when they sit on the bench, as for practice bodies Fran has opened the door to walk-ons, plus i see a 2013 class that is loaded and i personally don't want to be short handed

i see a 2013 class that is loaded and i personally don't want to be short handed

Do not get to hung up on 2013 as there is a lot that can happen between now and then. If Fran sees someone that he thinks can help the program I hope he gets them. If I am Fran I am coaching/recruiting like there is no 2013. Even if Fran gets 6 to commit here there is still no guarantee all 6 sign or even get in school. I hate to mention this but kids have transferred out and you never know if it can happen again.

perhaps but this is not the past where players are content to sit on the bench, we are not on the level of a Duke or Kentucky where that happen or can get the one and done players, Iowa will get much better but todays kids want to play not sit and be practice fodder, i feel Fran wants and needs stability and that means no transfers, i will agree that if Macon or someone like him wants to come Fran will take him, but it will have to be a player of that caliber to warrent filling the roster, because face it kids have to be prepared to sit otherwise they come and go so fast that it disrupts the team chemistry, and it is so easy to do these days, so why get a kid that will leave after one year because he is unhappy, that is one of the reason Lick is gone, you want that type of envirenment again

perhaps but this is not the past where players are content to sit on the bench, we are not on the level of a Duke or Kentucky where that happen or can get the one and done players, Iowa will get much better but todays kids want to play not sit and be practice fodder, i feel Fran wants and needs stability and that means no transfers, i will agree that if Macon or someone like him wants to come Fran will take him, but it will have to be a player of that caliber to warrent filling the roster, because face it kids have to be prepared to sit otherwise they come and go so fast that it disrupts the team chemistry, and it is so easy to do these days, so why get a kid that will leave after one year because he is unhappy, that is one of the reason Lick is gone, you want that type of envirenment again

It has always been that way, never had kids came to Iowa just to be a role player. On this team and with Frans style of play if you got talent you will get playing time. There will also be some that redshirt, which also staggers your scholarships out. When you play an uptempo game Iowa really needs to go at least 10 deep in order to keep fresh legs out there. It has been awhile since Iowa has effectively went 10 deep.

not even Arkansas or Long Beach under Westhead went deeper than 10 deep, with afull roster with 13 that means 3 sit, and walk-ons can do that because the main reason to go 13 deep means the game is a blowout, with the way Fran recruits he has players that can play multiple position so the likely hood of tired legs, will be because of a lack of conditioning, i am of the opinion that build for the long haul not a quick fix, besides this will be a top 25 class when Woodbury commits and they will all be signed before the 2nd season of Fran's career here which is pretty damn good considering

signing a full roster of quality talent when you have the opportunity to do so is not a quick fix.

But letting any quality player go this year for a shot at a future....still undecided player may a no fix.

not even Arkansas or Long Beach under Westhead went deeper than 10 deep, with afull roster with 13 that means 3 sit, and walk-ons can do that because the main reason to go 13 deep means the game is a blowout, with the way Fran recruits he has players that can play multiple position so the likely hood of tired legs, will be because of a lack of conditioning, i am of the opinion that build for the long haul not a quick fix, besides this will be a top 25 class when Woodbury commits and they will all be signed before the 2nd season of Fran's career here which is pretty damn good considering

Almost every team in the Big Ten goes at least 10 deep. Iowa did to just our 10th was a walk on. In Licks system you could get away with a short bench but Fran will benefit from having a talented bench. It would be nice to be able to bring freshmen in and be able to develop them and have red shirting be an option instead of being forced to play significant roles.

Re: ESPN new top 25

I am not the one who said that you're not really a top 25 recruiting class, but just ranked high because none of the top teams have their commitments.

My point is what good is it to brag about your ranking when it is just a fluke on paper. It is like the Orioles bragging about being a game behind the Yankees in the standings 5 games into the baseball season.

It's like bragging about having a great class than you have already signed. Yes, the other schools will end up signing great players. But it is still early and those yet to sign are not signed. So why is it odd to hear teams enjoying what they have done with recruiting so far?

Latest posts