Top 25 Recruiting Class

I can't believe you guys who don't think this is a big deal. No matter where we end up after all is said and done, when was the last time Iowa basketball showed up on any kind of list like this?

Great job, Fran and staff! Keep it up.

this a class that will add to who we have and strengthen the foundation for better things to come, enjoy while there is something to enjoy, its only going to get better

Re: ESPN new top 25

That's great news. Seems hard to believe though that Gesell, Myer and Ingram would lead to a #21 ranking. Not trying to put them down but I would see it being ranked a bit lower than that. Not saying it should be a lot lower than that but it seems a bit high. Just my opinion. Proceed to attack me now.

ps.-wonder what it will be ranked if Woodbury commits?

So your saying it should be lower but you say that you aren't saying that?

For those who see little significance in being on the list this early, remember top recruits often gravitate towards top classes. Great starts turn heads and often. times gain momentum.

If Iowa was striking out to this point and only had one unimpressive commitment, I wouldn't like our chances with Woodbury nearly as much as I do right now. Likewise, if we get that commitment, I think we stand a much better shot at another big fish.

This is a great start for 2012 recruiting. I have read countless posts of people reserving judgment until McCaffery starts getting good recruits to commit to Iowa. Judgment day is here! Nice work so far Fran!

i'll take astab at explaining why this is good, the last time we had a class rated was Mr. Davis's class that had Joey Range, talent gets talent, and a highly rated class gets recruits attention, especially Iowa recruits, after the disaster that has been Iowa BB the last #of years, not to mention the way the talking heads will talk about Coach Fran's ability to get this type of class so soon, the kids still have to put the time in on the court, but the image will be there, and i for one want that type of exposure rather than the ho hum after thought type comments

I think this means more than some are willing to admit. Just look at the last two classes that were brought in. Fran has had to scramble when he got hired but did hit home runs by bringing in Basabe, and Cartwright. Last year Fran was scrambling to fill out the recruiting class with Olesani, and Hubbard during the spring period.

Fast forward to this year, and we have 3 rides filled before classes even started in IC. Those 3 are good enough to be considered the #21 rated recruiting class to this point in the recruiting process. This is night and day difference from last 2 years, and it is a great sign! It is just another selling point Fran can use to round out the rest of the class, and get a great jump on the '13 class.

This is a very positive sign for Fran and the program.

i'll take astab at explaining why this is good, the last time we had a class rated was Mr. Davis's class that had Joey Range, talent gets talent, and a highly rated class gets recruits attention, especially Iowa recruits, after the disaster that has been Iowa BB the last #of years, not to mention the way the talking heads will talk about Coach Fran's ability to get this type of class so soon, the kids still have to put the time in on the court, but the image will be there, and i for one want that type of exposure rather than the ho hum after thought type comments

I agree with your explanation but wasn't the 2002 class with Brunner & Horner ranked in the top 25? They were both 4 star commits and ranked pretty high at their positions.

If I recall, we signed a top-25 class in '00 with Glen Worley, Sean Sonderliter, Brody Boyd, Cortney Scott, and juco Reggie Evans.

I think we were also regarded as a top-25 class in '02 when we landed Jeff Horner, Greg Brunner, and the kid that never made it to campus (can't remember the name right now). All three were top-100 recruits by one source or another.

Rivals had us with the #25 class in '04 when we landed Carlton Reed, JR Angle, Seth Gorney, Alex Thompson, and juco Doug Thomas. That class was a huge let down.

So you think it's better not to be ranked in the top 25 recruiting classes?

I am not the one who said that you're not really a top 25 recruiting class, but just ranked high because none of the top teams have their commitments.

My point is what good is it to brag about your ranking when it is just a fluke on paper. It is like the Orioles bragging about being a game behind the Yankees in the standings 5 games into the baseball season.

If I recall, we signed a top-25 class in '00 with Glen Worley, Sean Sonderliter, Brody Boyd, Cortney Scott, and juco Reggie Evans.

I think we were also regarded as a top-25 class in '02 when we landed Jeff Horner, Greg Brunner, and the kid that never made it to campus (can't remember the name right now). All three were top-100 recruits by one source or another.

Rivals had us with the #25 class in '04 when we landed Carlton Reed, JR Angle, Seth Gorney, Alex Thompson, and juco Doug Thomas. That class was a huge let down.

Josh Rhodes is the one you're thinking of in 2002. He was ranked pretty high as well but never made it to Iowa.

Hard to believe Rivals had that 2004 class ranked as it turned out horribly for Iowa.

I forgot all about the 2000 class and I think you are right. They had Worley ranked way to high.

that's a silly comparison. calculate that Iowa has just as many rides to still give as most of those schools without their slots filled. difference in many cases is that right now we at least have a few nice birds in hand.

I am not the one who said that you're not really a top 25 recruiting class, but just ranked high because none of the top teams have their commitments.

My point is what good is it to brag about your ranking when it is just a fluke on paper. It is like the Orioles bragging about being a game behind the Yankees in the standings 5 games into the baseball season.

We are coming off back to back 20 game losing seasons! I would not call this bragging but seeing our recruiting class getting a mention in the top 25 does give us a little hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Your analogy is off by a lot. We are at least 1/3rd of the way into this recruiting season for the 2012 class which is a lot further than the 5th game of a 162 game schedule.

We are coming off back to back 20 game losing seasons! I would not call this bragging but seeing our recruiting class getting a mention in the top 25 does give us a little hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Your analogy is off by a lot. We are at least 1/3rd of the way into this recruiting season for the 2012 class which is a lot further than the 5th game of a 162 game schedule.

This is not surprising. It's hard work being a permanant troll. Sometimes he has to really reach to find a reason for hating on something.

do you think the Indiana fan base is trying to downplay their class like you are desperately to do with Iowa's, not likely,, so for now let us Iowa fans enjoy our going forward, and at the very least shows that this staff knows how to recruit

that's a silly comparison. calculate that Iowa has just as many rides to still give as most of those schools without their slots filled. difference in many cases is that right now we at least have a few nice birds in hand.
The difference is schools like Kentucky and Kansas will finish filling out their classes late with all Top 30 guys in all likelihood, immediately making their classes top 15. Iowa's can get better with Woodbury, but the normal blue bloods will get a lot better. Look at all the undecided 5 star guys. Iowa is not getting any of those.

Well it's better than being 4 games back 5 games into the season, am I right? Cuz that's the way it has been for a while now....

Brett,
I understand Iowa is not getting any of the undecideds in the top 50 but its possible to get 1-2 in the top 100 with a juco or another solid 2 or 3 star.

I would bet a month off the boards that this Iowa class ends the recruiting season no worse than #28.

Latest posts