Top 25 Recruiting Class

Re: ESPN new top 25

That's great news. Seems hard to believe though that Gesell, Myer and Ingram would lead to a #21 ranking. Not trying to put them down but I would see it being ranked a bit lower than that. Not saying it should be a lot lower than that but it seems a bit high. Just my opinion. Proceed to attack me now.

ps.-wonder what it will be ranked if Woodbury commits?

The text for my non-insider brethren...

Fran McCaffrey's recruiting class is nice, but it could be better. The Hawkeyes are on the hunt for a big man and though it's a current top-20 effort, it needs a few more months to round into shape. McCaffrey watched every one of Mike Gesell's (Sioux City, Neb./South) games in July. In August, Gesell rewarded his diligence with a commitment. It's ironic that one stalwart leaves the program (Matt Gatens graduates this year) and is replaced by another tough guy from the same AAU program. Gesell also has center Kyle Meyer (Alpharetta, Ga./Northview) and wing Patrick Ingram (Indianapolis/North Central) to help him out.

top 20 + Woodbury = top 10?

Perhaps, especially if we add two other to fill the class. More than likely, though, is that by the time Woodbury would commit to Iowa, other schools would have added players as well. Without a top-50 player (or 2 or 3), its tough to climb into the top-15.

Last edited:
How is this class #21? Gesell is the only ranked recruited in top 150.

Its a combination of two things. First, though he is lower on every other site, Gessell is top-75 on ESPN. Second, there aren't a ton of top recruits that have committed so far. Gessell is White is one of the top-10 centers committed so far and Ingram is one of the top-20 SGs committed so far. There are a lot of players that will still commit at those positions, which will likely alter the ratings later on. Iowa has a chance at a top-25 class, but the Hawks would have to land Woodbury and at least one other 4-star to do it.

To be honest I do not care how they decided why this is a top 25 class.

Any positive press is good press for a school that has been down that past few years. This looks good for recruiting and looks good for our staff.

Why to go Fran and staff keep it up go get those other top players your after!

Re: ESPN new top 25

These rankings are going to change dramatically the next few months once the top dogs start committing. But right now, that's awesome. Big deal for Iowa.

To be honest I do not care how they decided why this is a top 25 class.

Any positive press is good press for a school that has been down that past few years. This looks good for recruiting and looks good for our staff.

Why to go Fran and staff keep it up go get those other top players your after!

Agreed. I too was surprised to see us on that list with only one Top-100 commit, but I'll take it. Even if it doesn't last when other top recruits start committing, but it's nice to see us on some of these types of lists.

BTW, if we get Woodbury, I wouldn't be surprised to see us still be Top 25.

This is great news, congratulations to Fran and the Hawks for being rewarded for hard work and relentless pursuit. If we get Woodbury, we should be ranked higher, if not we might go down a notch or two. No matter what, this is excellent news. It does appear that the Hawks are slowly but surely coming back under Fran.

One other thing to note is that we are still rated the #5 class in the Big Ten according to ESPN. Just goes to show how tough it is in the conference. Indiana, Michigan St., Purdue, and Michigan are all rated ahead of us. Wisconsin isn't too far behind. At this point it's just nice to have a dog in the fight, and Fran has some bite.

Latest posts