Tony Perkins to the Portal

Remember when Doug McDermott transferred out and played at Duke?

I heard Tucker Devries is in the portal. I hear he’s going to Gonzaga and isn’t following his dad to WV.

See how ridiculous those statements sound. Fran’s kid transferred out of Iowa today

That's fine. You guys are the fans and have more say now with NIL. You really do play a role in all this, as I wrote in my column. (told I have to "brand" myself more) ;)

Here's the thing though, if you let Fran go, you better damn well have a strong NIL in place when hiring his replacement. Nobody worth a shit is taking this job in this state. The last guy they got was from Sienna.

Well I made the same comment a couple of weeks ago. I have had moments when Fran really pissed me off, but looking over the lay of the land, I basically said the very point you made in this post for the very same reasons.

Unless some multi-million dollar person comes out of the wood work better stand put until that happens. Not sure if the very wealthy family that use to own the Kum and Go convenience stores still are Hawkeye supporters or not. I maybe be wromg but I think that same family also had some ownership of the Chicago Bulls. Since I don’t keep up with the NBA I am not sure if that is true or not.

My point is that unless some billionaire or extremely wealthy person steps forward, better be happy to maintain a coach that is consistent and competitive over one that is not.

Well I made the same comment a couple of weeks ago. I have had moments when Fran really pissed me off, but looking over the lay of the land, I basically said the very point you made in this post for the very same reasons.

Unless some multi-million dollar person comes out of the wood work better stand put until that happens. Not sure if the very wealthy family that use to own the Kum and Go convenience stores still are Hawkeye supporters or not. I maybe be wromg but I think that same family also had some ownership of the Chicago Bulls. Since I don’t keep up with the NBA I am not sure if that is true or not.

My point is that unless some billionaire or extremely wealthy person steps forward, better be happy to maintain a coach that is consistent and competitive over one that is not.
Pretty sad, D.

Pretty sad, D.

It is a sad reality.

I think a comment Kirk made at his spring football press conference is going to have to happen. He said they are going to have to lay some ground rules on the portal. He didn’t specifically use Proctor’s name but we all know that’s situation is what it was eluding to. How excited are fans going to be to spend time following their favorite team when you don’t know what players will be back the following year or may leave mid season. It’s a free for all right now.

At a bare minimum players should have to write a legally binding contractual agreement.

So after looking over the Big Ten/ Big Twelve NIL stats for athletics, I've come to a few conclusions: Michigan has a ton of money available and one might conclude the bulk of it went to the football team and not their basketball team. Houston and Iowa State are relatively on the low end , but yet they have fielded very competitive basketball teams this season. I realize that a single season is just a small snapshot of what huge amounts of $ available can do for a program. I would think over the long haul the schools with the most money will field the best teams. Time will tell.

I heard Tucker Devries is in the portal. I hear he’s going to Gonzaga and isn’t following his dad to WV.

See how ridiculous those statements sound. Fran’s kid transferred out of Iowa today
Are you actually comparing PM with McDermott and Devries??? I burst out laughing at that.

Doug was one of the Top 10 statistical players in MBB in our lifetime. Devries has been the best player is his league for two years straight.

PM has been a part time starter for his Dad, barely relevant, largely underperformed his high school rankings, has dealt with injuries and mental health issues, and largely his time at Iowa can easily be described as underwhelming. To compare these situations is laughable.

Not every kid plays for his Coach Dad. He wants a different experience for 1 season. I think he is making the right decision. It is not an indictment on him or his Dad. Just life.

I can't remember ever hearing of that sort of thing happening before with what PM is doing. If he was as good as either of those guys you mentioned we'd all be feeling some type of way about it but for the most part I'm just shrugging my shoulders at it cause it's an addition by subtraction thing for him moving on.

Felt like 2 yrs ago he showed he could play and had potential. But things went downhill for him after that and it just was what it was. The dude will be 25 next yr at this time btw. How old was JBo when he was done? 25 seems too old to me for playing college ball but maybe that's just me

Are you actually comparing PM with McDermott and Devries??? I burst out laughing at that.

Doug was one of the Top 10 statistical players in MBB in our lifetime. Devries has been the best player is his league for two years straight.

PM has been a part time starter for his Dad, barely relevant, largely underperformed his high school rankings, has dealt with injuries and mental health issues, and largely his time at Iowa can easily be described as underwhelming. To compare these situations is laughable.

Not every kid plays for his Coach Dad. He wants a different experience for 1 season. I think he is making the right decision. It is not an indictment on him or his Dad. Just life.

FINE, They are comparable in that they are sons who played for the dad's at major schools. How bout Sam Hoiberg, he transferring out? How bout Steve Izzo? He and his dad cried about how great his experience was at MSU. How bout Pat Knight, he go play somewhere else? I'm just looking for anything comparable where a son went to play for his dad and then left and played somewhere else with eligibility left. I don't know of one, I am sure that has happened.

Not every coach wants to play for their Dad, I get that and either would I, but Pat certainly did at one point in his life and it's unfortunate that he isn't planning to end his career as a Hawkeye. It's not an indictment of his Dad or of Pat and I understand and I think he's probably making the right decision as well right? I still hate the optic. It's apparent he wasn't happy at Iowa. I don't think that he was unhappy at Iowa because of his dad right? He was unhappy with scrutiny from the fan base, the joint being a 1/3rd full and let me tell ya, and no NIL money when he can go get it somewhere else. THAT is in indictment on Iowa basketball.

I am not upset because we are losing Pat and his skills - we likely do get some addition by subtraction and I think his role is easily replaced. I don't like the optics of it, period. What does this say about Iowa basketball? I think it sends a clear message that it sucks to play here and if you guys don't think that, I would say that you're just kind of blindly looking at this.

Don't go to Iowa, they don't support their team, their own kids can't stand it there....that's the narrative now about Iowa basketball and it's hard to get things swimming back the other way.

When Dix inevitably announces and possibly others that they are transferring out, I will be curious how everyone feels.

That's fine. You guys are the fans and have more say now with NIL. You really do play a role in all this, as I wrote in my column. (told I have to "brand" myself more) ;)

Here's the thing though, if you let Fran go, you better damn well have a strong NIL in place when hiring his replacement. Nobody worth a shit is taking this job in this state. The last guy they got was from Sienna.

Good point. It now plays into the hiring of coaches.

I also thought about another point yesterday about how the portal and NIL changes coaching philosophies and management of their players. I think they really have to push to play the young players more, as players if riding the pine are just going to bolt after the season.

Back in the day, freshman and even some into their soph years would ride the pine, develop and soak it all in the first season or sometimes two. Not the case anymore. I think coaches now have to play those younger players more than ever.

I'm not paying the players, I pay enough for my tickets, television packages, gear and my time with Iowa sports. I won't support it anymore and that's easy for me to do. I just stop and do other things with my time.

I love Iowa basketball, but it's not limitless love. I liked the players, I like that the players stayed and the turnover was low. I credited that to Fran. I liked that Fran could get under recruited talent and turn them into players like Tony Perkins. I liked Fran's family like vibe within the team and culture. Everyone here knows I am a Fran guy. Everyone knows here I am an overwhelmingly positive supporter of this program in general. I am no longer today after the past 2 days. I want Fran gone tomorrow. IMO, that won't be a unique thought from people who have been Fran supporters with today's news.

I am no longer in the "Iowa can't get better than what they have camp anymore" so that "be careful what you wish for, the last guy came from Sienna" threat doesn't work for me right now.

I'm firmly in the "what does Iowa have to lose?" camp - the hoops program has officially cratered again and just based off fan interests, and NIL support, this is WORSE or at least as BAD as when Lickliter was fired.
Nah, the end of the Lickliter era was bad. Fans were not into the slow play style at all and players like Gatens and company were really getting frustrated as they didn't feel their skills were being utilized. Remember every game would be in the 50's and every possession the shot clock went under 10 sec sometimes having to force a shot. Hell, fast breaks were rare to see and we may have seen 3 fast break dunks in 3 years. My point is, it was bad.

Fran at least has an exciting style that fans were harboring for from Lick's teams. Yes, they lack on defense and closing out on 3 pt shooters, but Iowa is typically near the top in scoring. Fran just hasn't had the perfect full roster of what he needs at the same time. Seems to always be missing something, and now the portal and NIL will not help as players don't stick around.

Again, like the end of EVERY season, they just need to play better defense!

I am not upset because we are losing Pat and his skills - we likely do get some addition by subtraction and I think his role is easily replaced. I don't like the optics of it, period. What does this say about Iowa basketball? I think it sends a clear message that it sucks to play here and if you guys don't think that, I would say that you're just kind of blindly looking at this.

Don't go to Iowa, they don't support their team, their own kids can't stand it there....that's the narrative now about Iowa basketball and it's hard to get things swimming back the other way.

When Dix inevitably announces and possibly others that they are transferring out, I will be curious how everyone feels.

I'm not sure it says that so much. Pat was in a unique situation and playing for his father which is very difficult, especially at the Div 1 level with social media and all the scrutiny.

I actually think Fran will do a better job coaching without any sons on the roster. That was a lot of years and I actually think recruiting will be better if a recruit knows they don't have to go to a team and compete with the coaches son. How many recruits ended up transferring for this reason alone, because they didn't feel they were getting a fair shot? How many decided not to come to Iowa and be in that landscape in the past.

I think it's going to be a good situation not having any of his boys on the team. It it just a dynamic that usually does not work out that well.

Iowa's women are taking a lot of NIL money and they deserve it. NIL needs some fixing but it is hard to think the NCAA is the one to fix it. What they have done so far is just craziness.

IMO, if this is all that transfers or decommits, it will be a tremendous job by Fran keeping the core of it all together. I just don't think we're done. I also think his kids seeing Pat and Tony leave probably opens there eyes a little. Hey, I don't have to stay here, even his kid and a player as close to the family and program as Tony are leaving.

Maybe not, I just don't expect this to be the end of it. And this is my point, half the reason I was so defiant in my defense of Fran at Iowa over the years, that's all walking out the door right now. I am kind of surprised others don't feel like this is a bad thing for Iowa. I often times have differing opinions then the masses on this site though so, not completely shocked

TP was playing through an injury during the last part of the season. He was doing what he could to gut it out for his team. He wasn't counting his money or dreaming about leaving. He wasn't thinking about how he could screw over Iowa.

Again, for the people in the back, he would stay if Iowa were to pay him market value maybe like was done for Jay Higgins, Sebastian Castro, Quinn Schulte, Nick Anderson, etc. And I'm happy as heck those guys got theirs. Like TP, they worked their asses off for it.

I get fans are frustrated. This program is at a serious crossroads right now. I just wouldn't blame TP. A great case can be made that his market value may never be greater than it is now. To say he's disloyal for turning down real money that can help him get his life started is misguided. Every person's situation is different and we have no idea what that money might mean to Tony and his family.

Latest posts