Tony Perkins to the Portal

Yea, no reason not to do that move now when it's the wild west. Wonder how many will end up in it after this season?

He was a no show in the bigger games this year...especially down the stretch. I thought he had his best year overall though. I wonder if Bowen will reconsider now?

Whereever he goes, he isn't going to have the ball in his bands and be the focal point of the offense like Fran gives him, but that's not what this is about. This is about getting paid. Iowa won't be to win this battle as I imagine there will be a long line trying to get a player the caliber of Tony's.

I was just about to post my basketball look-ahead story, checked Twitter, saw news, time to rewrite. Will post tomorrow.

And before people start putting this at Fran's feet...

Over 650 players are already in the portal.
Players from:
Losing teams
Winning teams
Coaches who get technicals
Hall of Fame coaches
Coaches who don't coach defense
Bad coaches
Blue bloods
Mid majors
Coaches that can't get to the Sweet 16

There will be players from teams in the sweet 16, elite 8, Final four. Etc.

count on it, this is college athletics at the current, and no one can blame ANY one for leaving for a literal bag of money

It will be interesting to see where he lands and if under a new coach if he can become more consistent. I think it was last season against Illinois he was unstoppable and then there was a few nights ago against Utah. Yikes.

Most players experience ups and downs in a 35 game schedule. The coaches voted him second team all-B1G. And if you let him walk, what are you replacing him with?

I'm not saying he's leaving solely for the money. I doubt that's it. He respects Fran and appreciates how he's been developed. He and other hoopers also see what's happening for acquisition and retention in the football building.

What if someone comes Freeman?

And before people start putting this at Fran's feet...

Over 650 players are already in the portal.
Players from:
Losing teams
Winning teams
Coaches who get technicals
Hall of Fame coaches
Coaches who don't coach defense
Bad coaches
Blue bloods
Mid majors
Coaches that can't get to the Sweet 16

There will be players from teams in the sweet 16, elite 8, Final four. Etc.

count on it, this is college athletics at the current, and no one can blame ANY one for leaving for a literal bag of money

Agreed, but what might fall at Fran’s feet is how successful he is at getting into the portal and getting someone to replace him.

I am not a fan of this portal BS and I understand how it must frustrate coaches but regardless to be competitive you need to get on the band wagon.

The powers that be at IOWA need to be busy getting donors and businessmen to contribute to keep Iowa competitive.

I would not be surprised if another player or two enters the Portal. I can think of two more players that others schools would love to have.

Last edited:
Agreed, but what might fall at Fran’s feet is how successful he is at getting into the portal and getting someone to replace him.

I am not a fan of this portal BS and I understand how it must frustrate coaches but regardless to be competitive you need to get on the band wagon.

The powers that be at IOWA need to be busy getting donors and businessmen to contribute to keep Iowa competitive.

I would not be surprised if another player or two enter the Portal. I can think of two more players that others schools would love to have.
I can think of more than that. Dix, Sandfort, Freeman would all have more $$$ waiting for them somewhere else.

I would not be surprised if another player or two enter the Portal. I can think of two more players that others schools would love to have.
Yeah. I don’t know. How successful can you be without top money for top players? Fran doesn’t have that, so he’ll need to be a master at spending what he does have in the right spots. I think they need a guard like TP.

I can think of more than that. Dix, Sandfort, Freeman would all have more $$$ waiting for them somewhere else.

Lol, you just named two of the three I was thinking of, but I agree and would throw Dix in there also. I hope we can keep all three.

I don't think Perkins is leaving though if this team was doing better. Can't get into his head, but he did not always look like he was having the greatest time out there. I'm guessing if he can make more money and play for a better team...that is what he is angling for.

Mixed feelings. Appreciate what Tony has done, but he must appreciate what Iowa did for him. Agree with all that the common denominator is Nil dollars. If this boils down to a power play that motivates Iowa donors into retention mode, then it is about effing time. It is the Wild West and who can afford the best gunslinger! Lets face it, Tony isn’t a lottery pick and the potential Nil he is in line for is his payday. And he has maturity our young ones need.

Yeah, we are a football school. I get it. Our debacle in the offense over the last few years and our subsequent search for a new OC shows where we stand there. That and the Proctor sh*t show. What a joke that dude turned out to be, and we were the ultimate butt of that joke…..reminds me of the never ending dynamic between Lucy holding the football for Charlie Brown.

If you need a 2-guard to basically play downhill, then Perk is your dude. And there is a huge demand for that. If his only responsibility is getting buckets, he would be awesome at that, if he is healthy.

IMO, I don’t think he was healthy the last month of the season and that is why he was so shitty.

Somebody correct me if I have this wrong, Pmac and Perk are 99% gone ?

Most players experience ups and downs in a 35 game schedule. The coaches voted him second team all-B1G. And if you let him walk, what are you replacing him with?

I'm not saying he's leaving solely for the money. I doubt that's it. He respects Fran and appreciates how he's been developed. He and other hoopers also see what's happening for acquisition and retention in the football building.

What if someone comes Freeman?
I would be extremely surprised if freeman hasn’t be contacted by multiple programs.

You hand the car keys to Harding and if Fran doesn’t trust him, then you go get somebody.

A Harding/Dix backcourt? All jokes aside, I am trying to wrap my head around that backcourt. Harding has to take the next step this Summer before I am all in.

You hand the car keys to Harding and if Fran doesn’t trust him, then you go get somebody.

A Harding/Dix backcourt? All jokes aside, I am trying to wrap my head around that backcourt. Harding has to take the next step this Summer before I am all in.
I’m in on both but I’m sure this isn’t all who’s leaving - and they can’t play 40 minutes, Iowa needs at least two more guards and they have 3 open ships

Latest posts