Tony Perkins to the Portal

You guys should read my columns more. ;)

from this one

So, how do the Hawkeyes catch up with modern times in men's hoops? Well, fans play a big part these days. The Swarm NIL collective earmarks donations of at least $1,000 a shot or $100 a month.

They raised money to get Kadyn Proctor. There was a campaign on social media. What is Iowa doing for men's basketball? Is there an option to go out and add a 5 star center or point guard?

Lol. The first 2 lines. I'm with ya!

Meanwhile, Clark just got a $5M offer from Ice Cube. That guy is no dummy. He's gonna make that back and then some.
Pure genius.. She could do that and not go play over seas. Save her all that traveling and wear and tear on her body. I wonder if she'll do it. I hadn't heard if she was planning on ever going over seas to play or not but it seems like they all do. With all her endorsement $ she certainly wouldn't have to regardless but putting 5 large in your account for just 10 games.... Put me in coach I'm ready to play

I get what you're saying. And if people just want to move on from Fran for the sake of doing so, I'm not going to argue. He doesn't deserve to be fired based on his body of work. Not even close.

I do think his guys like him and his teams are close, for the most part. Patrick's situation is very unique if you think about what he's been through.

Even taking the cancer out of it, which is huge, the last years have been rough. He's been feeling extreme anxiety while playing. As often happens with mental health, even the time of day Iowa played games affected him.

While working through that, his younger brother gets in an accident and someone dies. Some of the conversation surrounding that was pretty harsh, state wide, but especially here in town. It was the subject of conversation at cookouts with people that don't even watch basketball.

Patrick gave it a go this season. He assessed the situation afterward and felt like he needed change. And I know this will rub some folks the wrong way, but I wouldn't assume $ isn't a factor for him. In fact, I would assume it is.

Fran doesn't deserve to be fired based on his body of work, but he does based on the fan interest, his NIL fund raising efforts and the attendance for games a the University of Iowa.

Things I never really put on him until I heard his kid was looking around to play somewhere else. Weird how quickly that can turn someone off. I imagine a lot of Fran supporters are in my same boat.

If we aren't going to retain our best pieces every year, the sooner Fran is gone the better.

You guys should read my columns more. ;)

from this one

So, how do the Hawkeyes catch up with modern times in men's hoops? Well, fans play a big part these days. The Swarm NIL collective earmarks donations of at least $1,000 a shot or $100 a month.

They raised money to get Kadyn Proctor. There was a campaign on social media. What is Iowa doing for men's basketball? Is there an option to go out and add a 5 star center or point guard?

I read your article and you stated Iowa lags behind in NIL/ and support from the athletic dept in the basketball area especially. Is there a site where the financial information is available to see how far we are behind other schools?

That's fine. You guys are the fans and have more say now with NIL. You really do play a role in all this, as I wrote in my column. (told I have to "brand" myself more) ;)

Here's the thing though, if you let Fran go, you better damn well have a strong NIL in place when hiring his replacement. Nobody worth a shit is taking this job in this state. The last guy they got was from Sienna.

I read your article and you stated Iowa lags behind in NIL/ and support from the athletic dept in the basketball area especially. Is there a site where the financial information is available to see how far we are behind other schools?

Love this site. Nothing has to be disclosed, so at best these are estimates. Poke around there.

First off I'm not implying that he doesn't deserve what he can go get. Not even remotely. I'm not blaming him or anyone else for doing it. Not at all. But pimping himself out is what this is. Spade a spade.

Secondly it's his choice if he wants to stay or not. Like an NFL FA with offers to stay or go. Frans not running him off hell I bet he's begging him to stay. He coulda done the same thing at this time last yr and didn't. I'm not begging or even suggesting he stay. As far as I'm concerned mentally he seemed to have checked out like 4 or 5 games ago with his play. So you say he wants to stay but his demeanor, play and decision to get in the portal suggests otherwise.

What's hurting mens basketball is that Fran can't get over the hump and as long as he's been there now apathy has set in. Fans aren't wrong for feeling that way and the attendance for mens games seems to support my 2 cents on that. I think a lot of fans are going to save their time and $ until there's a coaching change now. Fran is who he is he's not changing. I don't see some huge NIL windfall from donors or businesses that propels Iowa to the front of the line for players. Unless he lands himself the male equivalent of Caitlin Clark for fans to go crazy about the mens team has an uphill road to climb.
Interesting speculation, but just that. I don’t know what the root of the current apathy among casual fans might be, but I think it’s a combo with very little to do with Fran’s coaching. The last few years,with some big time stars followed by an uptick in recruiting, should have been favorable, not apathetic. Good grief! BT players of the year, NBA first rounders, top of the heap in scoring, on its face should have moved the needle north.

I will speculate: Yes, a couple of deeper runs in the post season would have helped. But lack of student attendance, a schedule with mid week night games, easy TV as an alternative, aftermath of Covid, which changed habits significantly, the overwhelming success by the women led by the most popular player in history, the sell out crowds for Lisa’s crew, and a highly critical, impatient fan base within college sports may have been the perfect storm. Now mix in no order NIL and transfer rules. What the hell do you expect?

Side note: Yes, we need to re-do CHA seating to favor the students. I love the idea of improvement in the fan experience, which, sadly, is oft repeated but never defined.
Waiting.

Last edited:
I get what you're saying. And if people just want to move on from Fran for the sake of doing so, I'm not going to argue. He doesn't deserve to be fired based on his body of work. Not even close.

I do think his guys like him and his teams are close, for the most part. Patrick's situation is very unique if you think about what he's been through.

Even taking the cancer out of it, which is huge, the last years have been rough. He's been feeling extreme anxiety while playing. As often happens with mental health, even the time of day Iowa played games affected him.

While working through that, his younger brother gets in an accident and someone dies. Some of the conversation surrounding that was pretty harsh, state wide, but especially here in town. It was the subject of conversation at cookouts with people that don't even watch basketball.

Patrick gave it a go this season. He assessed the situation afterward and felt like he needed change. And I know this will rub some folks the wrong way, but I wouldn't assume $ isn't a factor for him. In fact, I would assume it is.
Yahoo! Great analysis. Pay attention, doubters.

Interesting speculation, but just that. I don’t know what the root of the current apathy among casual fans might be, but I think it’s a combo with very little to do with Fran’s coaching. The last few years,with some big time stars followed by an uptick in recruiting, should have been favorable, not apathetic. Good grief! BT players of the year, NBA first rounders, top of the heap in scoring, on its face should have moved the needle north.

I will speculate: Yes, a couple of deeper runs in the post season would have helped. But lack of student attendance, a schedule with mid week night games, easy TV as an alternative, aftermath of Covid, which changed habits significantly, the overwhelming success by the women led by the most popular player in history, the sell out crowds for Lisa’s crew, and a highly critical, impatient fan base within college sports may have been the perfect storm. Now mix in no order NIL and transfer rules. What the hell do you expect?

Side note: Yes, we need to re-do CHA seating to favor the students. I love the idea of improvement in the fan experience, which, sadly, is oft repeated but never defined.
Waiting.
I'd agree it's more then just any 1 thing too. It's not just Frans lack of tourny success. It's also some of what you mentioned as well with students and scheduling 8 pm games on weeknights etc. Fran coaches a fun style of play to actually watch on offense. Defense has always left a lot to be desired and hence their struggles in mid March alot of yrs.

Things aren't getting any easier for Iowa basketball. If I was JR Koch with his kid signed to come next yr I'd be hitting up Fran to really nail him down to see what he's thinking about next yr cause I'd be curious about if he's sticking around or not too. It really felt like to me this yr was going to be it for Fran at the beginning of this yr. Well things have only shifted more that direction then not lately. His contract that runs through 2028 is the only thing that makes me hesitate on it. He'd be leaving $ on the table unless he found himself a great new gig. But he's 64 and maybe he's not worried about that. We'll see

That's fine. You guys are the fans and have more say now with NIL. You really do play a role in all this, as I wrote in my column. (told I have to "brand" myself more) ;)

Here's the thing though, if you let Fran go, you better damn well have a strong NIL in place when hiring his replacement. Nobody worth a shit is taking this job in this state. The last guy they got was from Sienna.
I'm not paying the players, I pay enough for my tickets, television packages, gear and my time with Iowa sports. I won't support it anymore and that's easy for me to do. I just stop and do other things with my time.

I love Iowa basketball, but it's not limitless love. I liked the players, I like that the players stayed and the turnover was low. I credited that to Fran. I liked that Fran could get under recruited talent and turn them into players like Tony Perkins. I liked Fran's family like vibe within the team and culture. Everyone here knows I am a Fran guy. Everyone knows here I am an overwhelmingly positive supporter of this program in general. I am no longer today after the past 2 days. I want Fran gone tomorrow. IMO, that won't be a unique thought from people who have been Fran supporters with today's news.

I am no longer in the "Iowa can't get better than what they have camp anymore" so that "be careful what you wish for, the last guy came from Sienna" threat doesn't work for me right now.

I'm firmly in the "what does Iowa have to lose?" camp - the hoops program has officially cratered again and just based off fan interests, and NIL support, this is WORSE or at least as BAD as when Lickliter was fired.

Fran doesn't deserve to be fired based on his body of work, but he does based on the fan interest, his NIL fund raising efforts and the attendance for games a the University of Iowa.

Things I never really put on him until I heard his kid was looking around to play somewhere else. Weird how quickly that can turn someone off. I imagine a lot of Fran supporters are in my same boat.

If we aren't going to retain our best pieces every year, the sooner Fran is gone the better.
Yup yup yup.... And sure his body of work isn't bad. But that same body of work has no sweet 16s on the resume either. So it's all about expectations and what are those. And no program such as Iowa's is going to say going 12-14 yrs or whatever it's been with no sweet 16s is good enough. That's a question for Beth Goetz I suppose is if she's good with the low ceiling high floor type of program they've been.

That's a part of his body of work so if adding everything else and the what have you done for me lately question?.... We have an NIT team that's half gutted with the core of it being Peyton Sandfort and 2 sophomores one of which didn't start all yr and Dix who many seem to think isn't sticking around either. Feels like things are hanging on by a thread almost..

I'm not paying the players, I pay enough for my tickets, television packages, gear and my time with Iowa sports. I won't support it anymore and that's easy for me to do. I just stop and do other things with my time.

I love Iowa basketball, but it's not limitless love. I liked the players, I like that the players stayed and the turnover was low. I credited that to Fran. I liked that Fran could get under recruited talent and turn them into players like Tony Perkins. I liked Fran's family like vibe within the team and culture. Everyone here knows I am a Fran guy. Everyone knows here I am an overwhelmingly positive supporter of this program in general. I am no longer today after the past 2 days. I want Fran gone tomorrow. IMO, that won't be a unique thought from people who have been Fran supporters with today's news.

I am no longer in the "Iowa can't get better than what they have camp anymore" so that "be careful what you wish for, the last guy came from Sienna" threat doesn't work for me right now.

I'm firmly in the "what does Iowa have to lose?" camp - the hoops program has officially cratered again and just based off fan interests, and NIL support, this is WORSE or at least as BAD as when Lickliter was fired.
I really don't see how Fran sticks around, tbh. I'd want to go watch my youngest go play hoops if money was no object, but that's just me. Maybe he feels indebted to the guys he's recruited...I don't know.

But at some point that has to stop anyway I guess.

I really don't see how Fran sticks around, tbh. I'd want to go watch my youngest go play hoops if money was no object, but that's just me. Maybe he feels indebted to the guys he's recruited...I don't know.

But at some point that has to stop anyway I guess.
I'd be shocked if he feels indebted to guys he recruited after losing Patrick McCaffery and Tony Perkins to the transfer portal lol. I certainly wouldn't. I think this is the end of the line for me for Iowa hoops. Hell, maybe all of it. I wasn't turned off until honestly, this news with Pat. That's the thing that sent me over the edge. Tear it all down. We need a new leader and a new direction for Iowa Men's basketball and I'd personally prefer we just get that started now.

I'd be shocked if he feels indebted to guys he recruited after losing Patrick McCaffery and Tony Perkins to the transfer portal lol. I certainly wouldn't. I think this is the end of the line for me for Iowa hoops. Hell, maybe all of it. I wasn't turned off until honestly, this news with Pat. That's the thing that sent me over the edge. Tear it all down. We need a new leader and a new direction for Iowa Men's basketball and I'd personally prefer we just get that started now.

My initial thoughts were he is sticking around so Jack could finish his final year of high school. But that makes no sense because Jack could easily go the prep school route. IMO, Margaret has wanted out for a long time and Jack going the prep school route would make it easy for Fran to walk away now. I hate to do the money thing, but you have to think about it. The current buyout of Fran’s contract is 33 million dollars…walking away now means you give up all that…don’t you at least want to recoup some of that before you walk away?

Not really firing Fran as much as buying him out. I'd think they would come to some sort of deal where they help each other but Fran gets his fair share. Not really fired or quit, time for a change mutual thing. He will be fine as he probably fares better going now and maybe getting a smaller school job where NIL isn't such an issue if he is not wanting to deal so much. Probably better than 2 or 3 years older and Fran is gonna have a harder time if people start to worry how long he will be around. No more of his own kids frees him up more.

The new AD hopefully has her own plans and wasn't getting the job to just keep the status quo till Fran and Kirk are pushed out in wheelchairs. She is free to start her plans for the future. The sooner the better I think applies to the situation they are in.

I'll never hit the end of the line with Hawk sports, but I've definitely become less invested time and money-wise over the past couple years.

When it comes to basketball Iowa will always be my first love, but Creighton is two hours away from me and a blast, plus they hate the huskers there which is worth a bunch. More value for my time and money there when it comes to hoops, tbh.

Also one thing we aren't thinking about, and not that he's going to be there permanently, is that Connor is in Indy which is obviously where Butler is too.

Latest posts