Tony Perkins to the Portal

And I will re-introduce this example

Tennessee gave JP Estrella $400K for every year he's there. If not, he'd likely be here.

If he's 400 as an incoming freshman what's a second-team all-Big Ten guard worth on the market?
What's your best crystal ball guess as to how much collective money would make a difference? Or is there not enough info out there regarding what other teams are doing?

Would $2M a year be enough you think?

I've gotten 4 emails today from U of I asking for money...

Obviously a bunch of you guys have as well.

I've never gotten 4 in a week before...

Patrick wants a new experience and has been on the roster for five seasons

He's been through a lot at a young age

I think a change of scenery will be good for his mental health

Patrick wants a new experience and has been on the roster for five seasons

He's been through a lot at a young age

I think a change of scenery will be good for his mental health
Then Iowa's program needs a coach that can help manage that better and make a better culture for guys to be in. It's obviously not monetary for Pat and this is all at the expense of Iowa, his dad and the program he grew up in. IMO, if this is what's happening to Iowa's most tenured players, that they transfer out for a bag of money or to get "fresh starts", Iowa needs to move in a different direction yesterday. Like, stop this, Fire Fran. The buildings empty, the NIL interests isn't there and the fans aren't bought in. If major contributors in the program are now planning to leave, Fran's time at Iowa can come to a close as well and we need someone who can navigate these waters much better.

He has to be, that rumors been around too long - I don't get this move by Pat ... at all.
I mean I do. This lets him kick the tires on what options he could have. If the perfect situation pops up I could see him do it. Now if he ends up going to Illinois or Minnesota I'll really scratch my head at that but I see little chance of him staying in the conference. Maybe a Butler or something in Indiana closer to his big bro so he could stay on his couch (in Caitlins fancy future house)

TP on the other hand without knowing their rosters I could see both Purdue and Indiana being in play for him. I hope folks are prepared for that possibility. I'd suspect he'd like to go closer to home too so maybe a Butler as well would be in play if it's not all about the $. But we'll know what it was all about for him once he chooses. If he ends up at a random place like say a Georgia Tech then we'll clearly know.

Rob - How does it work with NIL? We keep saying the football program has $$$$$$ but Iowa's basketball program is lagging in $$ apparently. When an individual agrees to contribute to the NIL, do they peg what sport or area they choose the money to go? Are there completely separate NIL accounts for each sport so there is no confusion. I suspect the latter. I guess anyone can answer. Thanks.

Rob - How does it work with NIL? We keep saying the football program has $$$$$$ but Iowa's basketball program is lagging in $$ apparently. When an individual agrees to contribute to the NIL, do they peg what sport or area they choose the money to go? Are there completely separate NIL accounts for each sport so there is no confusion. I suspect the latter. I guess anyone can answer. Thanks.
I'm sure it's a mix of both. At the mega-donor level you could have people saying, "I want my $200,000 going to the football team over 3 years." And you also have the $50-100 a month guys donating to the SWARM which I'm sure has a ratio that they decide on internally. You probably also have people who donate large sums who could direct it at a particular player.

Then Iowa's program needs a coach that can help manage that better and make a better culture for guys to be in. It's obviously not monetary for Pat and this is all at the expense of Iowa, his dad and the program he grew up in. IMO, if this is what's happening to Iowa's most tenured players, that they transfer out for a bag of money or to get "fresh starts", Iowa needs to move in a different direction yesterday. Like, stop this, Fire Fran. The buildings empty, the NIL interests isn't there and the fans aren't bought in. If major contributors in the program are now planning to leave, Fran's time at Iowa can come to a close as well and we need someone who can navigate these waters much better.
I love Fran. I think he's a good coach, has lots of fire, and is a straight arrow.

But maybe since the whole thing seems like it's coming apart at the seams anyway it'd be a good time for a clean slate top to bottom. It feels like (as @RobHowe mentioned in his column) that Iowa basketball is at where it was late 90s early 2000s. What's the harm?

If I'm being honest I really think the deck is too stacked against Iowa nowadays to be competitive anyway. This isn't a bsaketball state and people don't care about it like they do football. Maybe we can just be lovable losers like Texas State Armadillo fans moving forward, and enjoy cheap tickets and sitting close to the court...

I get what you're saying. And if people just want to move on from Fran for the sake of doing so, I'm not going to argue. He doesn't deserve to be fired based on his body of work. Not even close.

I do think his guys like him and his teams are close, for the most part. Patrick's situation is very unique if you think about what he's been through.

Even taking the cancer out of it, which is huge, the last years have been rough. He's been feeling extreme anxiety while playing. As often happens with mental health, even the time of day Iowa played games affected him.

While working through that, his younger brother gets in an accident and someone dies. Some of the conversation surrounding that was pretty harsh, state wide, but especially here in town. It was the subject of conversation at cookouts with people that don't even watch basketball.

Patrick gave it a go this season. He assessed the situation afterward and felt like he needed change. And I know this will rub some folks the wrong way, but I wouldn't assume $ isn't a factor for him. In fact, I would assume it is.

I have more faith in Brock Harding getting much more playing time running the point

He should be shooting threes 8 hours a day. every day including Sundays though

If we can get more motion on offense, he will be most effective, a lot more Motion

Excited for next season as always,, forever

You guys should read my columns more. ;)

from this one

So, how do the Hawkeyes catch up with modern times in men's hoops? Well, fans play a big part these days. The Swarm NIL collective earmarks donations of at least $1,000 a shot or $100 a month.

They raised money to get Kadyn Proctor. There was a campaign on social media. What is Iowa doing for men's basketball? Is there an option to go out and add a 5 star center or point guard?

I give up. Read the column i wrote last week and posted above, or go on just assuming you know things or speculate

another is likely hitting the portal today, keep not paying the Iowa men's players and good luck with that

Been at this for awhile, if you think what's happing with men's basketball is a new problem, it's not. now there's an NIL shortage that will hit this harder than at any point when there was no practice facility
If you're referring to why I feel how I do about TP being checked out just look back at the box scores. In their last 5 games he only hit double figures scoring twice with the high being 13. With games of only scoring 2 and 3 being his last one. His body language wasn't his normal self. And if a player is mentally checked out then that's fine move on that's what he's doing. I'm not bashing him just calling it like I see it.
Dude played a lot of great games for the Hawks I'm glad he was one. But I'm not going to cry wishing he'd stay if he doesn't want to and wants to get paid. Go get it.

We all know the NIL issues with Iowa hoops not being new. They've lost more recruiting battles then just the higher profile Estrella kid due to it.

It's become the chicken or the egg... Iowa fans aren't going to go donating like crazy to the Swarm for it while Fran is still there yet Fran can't improve roster (or keep current one together) without NIL help. We might have to see a bottoming out of the program before there's a significant change and that sucks...

Goetz has a quandary on her hands....

Latest posts