Tony Perkins to the Portal

I wouldn't want to blow millions of my own money when it all comes down to a couple tournament games.

What if you gave a couple mil to buy a dream team and someone got hurt, or someone else doubled your money after you had already paid out, or some 6 seed team had the game of their lives against you in the tournament and ended your run? In my opinion you're dealing with roulette odds at best. Not even Blackjack odds.

Nope. If I'm Fran I'm saying, "Eff it, it's been fun, boys, but not real fun. Hit the lights on your way out, I'm done."
If Fran wants to retire ala Saban, I would be happy for him. But, if he is staying in the game then I would think he would want a shot to go out strong. He has the ability to influence his success given his wealth. Indeed, if he has been reasonably investing his earnings during his career, he should be worth 8 figures. Easy. And, if Beth bumps up his salary to offset some of this, why not?

Personally, I would rather make a little bit less and be happy in my job than horde every penny and be miserable. I realize a mill is not a little to almost everyone else, but come on, that is paper money to Iowa and Fran. Moves some numbers around, Beth. You can't pay the kids, but Fran can through the collective. Make it happen!

If Fran wants to retire ala Saban, I would be happy for him. But, if he is staying in the game then I would think he would want a shot to go out strong. He has the ability to influence his success given his wealth. Indeed, if he has been reasonably investing his earnings during his career, he should be worth 8 figures. Easy. And, if Beth bumps up his salary to offset some of this, why not?

Personally, I would rather make a little bit less and be happy in my job than horde every penny and be miserable. I realize a mill is not a little to almost everyone else, but come on, that is paper money to Iowa and Fran. Moves some numbers around, Beth. You can't pay the kids, but Fran can through the collective. Make it happen!
Could be a 3rd option, too. Maybe Fran just wants to keep coaching because he likes it and he's good with sticking to his personal ethics and doing the best he can with what he can get. He has to know how monumental the difficulty is he's facing with NIL.

Good for him I guess. Feels like he was checked out for the last few weeks and was one foot out the door anyway. He's got the covid yr to make himself a FA so why not do what he's doing? He doesn't want to be a Hawk anymore and can pimp himself out to the highest bidder like anyone and everyone else so more power to him.
This is the type of mentality that will continue hurting Iowa men's basketball, fans with their heads buried in the sand blaming players for "pimping themselves out." This isn't 1990 anymore. These guys deserve what they get.

As I said, TP wants to be a Hawkeye. Again, he wants to stay here. Just pay him what others would pay him. Or pay him what the football players being retained this year made. Would you stay in your job and pass on a significant raise because you like your boss?

This is the type of mentality that will continue hurting Iowa men's basketball, fans with their heads buried in the sand blaming players for "pimping themselves out." This isn't 1990 anymore. These guys deserve what they get.

As I said, TP wants to be a Hawkeye. Again, he wants to stay here. Just pay him what others would pay him. Or pay him what the football players being retained this year made. Would you stay in your job and pass on a significant raise because you like your boss?
Spot on. I hope TP brings his best offer to Fran and asks if he can match or get close. Maybe Fran nudges some boosters. That would be the best for everyone to at least give Iowa a shot to retain him. If the money is not there, we should all wish TP well with his next team. He has been a great Hawk.

Could be a 3rd option, too. Maybe Fran just wants to keep coaching because he likes it and he's good with sticking to his personal ethics and doing the best he can with what he can get. He has to know how monumental the difficulty is he's facing with NIL.
He does sort of remind me of Nick Nolte's character from Blue Chips. I think he truly enjoys coaching and probably would prefer to avoid the money BS side of this whole deal. I suppose he could just play out the string and hope for the best. He is a good spotter and developer of talent, but it would have to be frustrating to be relegated to the big boys farm system for the remainder of your career.

I don't see an ethical dilemma at all here. Its not illegal to donate to a collective. Other coaches are free to do the same. In fact, you can't tell me that lots of these rich coaches haven't funneled their own personal cash to handlers over the years to land or retain talent.

Spot on. I hope TP brings his best offer to Fran and asks if he can match or get close. Maybe Fran nudges some boosters. That would be the best for everyone to at least give Iowa a shot to retain him. If the money is not there, we should all wish TP well with his next team. He has been a great Hawk.
Yeah I'll never criticize anyone for making their own financial decisions. Everyone has the right to have their own motivations. Why the hell should I tell someone else where they should make a living and for how much?

He does sort of remind me of Nick Nolte's character from Blue Chips. I think he truly enjoys coaching and probably would prefer to avoid the money BS side of this whole deal. I suppose he could just play out the string and hope for the best. He is a good spotter and developer of talent, but it would have to be frustrating to be relegated to the big boys farm system for the remainder of your career.

I don't see an ethical dilemma at all here. Its not illegal to donate to a collective. Other coaches are free to do the same. In fact, you can't tell me that lots of these rich coaches haven't funneled their own personal cash to handlers over the years to land or retain talent.
By ethics I just meant that Fran is pretty vocal that he doesn't like the free-for-all, wild west aspect of basketball and football right now, maybe he doesn't want to add to it. In other words maybe he'd rather just keep doing what he's doing with the money available and doesn't want to do the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" thing.

Isn't google search a wonderful thing.........

Players in the G League sign one-year contracts with the league, not the NBA team or its affiliate. That excludes two-way players or players on assignment. The minimum salary for a five-to-six month season is $40,500

First off I'm not implying that he doesn't deserve what he can go get. Not even remotely. I'm not blaming him or anyone else for doing it. Not at all. But pimping himself out is what this is. Spade a spade.

Secondly it's his choice if he wants to stay or not. Like an NFL FA with offers to stay or go. Frans not running him off hell I bet he's begging him to stay. He coulda done the same thing at this time last yr and didn't. I'm not begging or even suggesting he stay. As far as I'm concerned mentally he seemed to have checked out like 4 or 5 games ago with his play. So you say he wants to stay but his demeanor, play and decision to get in the portal suggests otherwise.

What's hurting mens basketball is that Fran can't get over the hump and as long as he's been there now apathy has set in. Fans aren't wrong for feeling that way and the attendance for mens games seems to support my 2 cents on that. I think a lot of fans are going to save their time and $ until there's a coaching change now. Fran is who he is he's not changing. I don't see some huge NIL windfall from donors or businesses that propels Iowa to the front of the line for players. Unless he lands himself the male equivalent of Caitlin Clark for fans to go crazy about the mens team has an uphill road to climb.

Last edited:
Fran hit the nail on the head in his comments. Its not about NIL. These kids should be getting a piece of the pie. Its NIL coupled with unfettered portal transfers that is creating the chaos. As Fran noted, and as I have being saying forever, the only solution to the chaos is contracts. The Big 10 and the SEC need to free their members to pay kids directly and engage in contract negotiations that all schools will honor. Payment for services for specified years of service. Capitalism tends to smooth out most situations, but right now, the players are free to test the markets but the schools are not free to lock up their talent in exchange for money. That is what is broken.

But I guess my point is that the number of players wouldn't be in the portal if the NIL $$ were not so out-of-control.

It does add a level of excitement as a fan, though. Interesting to watch programs pivot and one never knows what type of team they may have each year as it can change so fast. In a matter of a season, a team can go from 10th in the league to 2nd if they get the right players.

Whereever he goes, he isn't going to have the ball in his bands and be the focal point of the offense like Fran gives him, but that's not what this is about. This is about getting paid. Iowa won't be to win this battle as I imagine there will be a long line trying to get a player the caliber of Tony's.
I don't know ... look at Joe T. He did just fine at TxTech

I don't know ... look at Joe T. He did just fine at TxTech
TP isn't really a pg though. I think he'd flourish better not being forced to do what Fran did with him most of this yr. He's a combo guard type that does better off the ball and in transition. We saw some really great play from Tony at times. But when he had to shoulder all the PG duties for stretches that really wasn't his strength.

But I guess my point is that the number of players wouldn't be in the portal if the NIL $$ were not so out-of-control.

It does add a level of excitement as a fan, though. Interesting to watch programs pivot and one never knows what type of team they may have each year as it can change so fast. In a matter of a season, a team can go from 10th in the league to 2nd if they get the right players.
That's the capitalism of this whole deal. Fan and booster money is telling us what we already know, college fans give a shit about their teams and winning. Generally speaking, when capitalism has no guard rails it leads to unsavory results The term "all the market will bear" was a celebration of how little moguls had to pay workers at the turn of the last century.

At its most fundamental level, the "fix" to NIL is replacing collectives with direct payments from the athletes de facto employers, the schools, with contracts governing the relationships. As with most things, the answer to the dilemma is lawyers. Lots of them! :)

Wish Tony all the best, he was a warrior and gave alot to the Hawk bball team. I don't like anything about NIL which without much rules ruins the portal thing, but I'm in the minority I think. Time will tell.

First off I'm not implying that he doesn't deserve what he can go get. Not even remotely. I'm not blaming him or anyone else for doing it. Not at all. But pimping himself out is what this is. Spade a spade.

Secondly it's his choice if he wants to stay or not. Like an NFL FA with offers to stay or go. Frans not running him off hell I bet he's begging him to stay. He coulda done the same thing at this time last yr and didn't. I'm not begging or even suggesting he stay. As far as I'm concerned mentally he seemed to have checked out like 4 or 5 games ago with his play. So you say he wants to stay but his demeanor, play and decision to get in the portal suggests otherwise.

What's hurting mens basketball is that Fran can't get over the hump and as long as he's been there now apathy has set in. Fans aren't wrong for feeling that way and the attendance for mens games seems to support my 2 cents on that. I think a lot of fans are going to save their time and $ until there's a coaching change now. Fran is who he is he's not changing. I don't see some huge NIL windfall from donors or businesses that propels Iowa to the front of the line for players. Unless he lands himself the male equivalent of Caitlin Clark for fans to go crazy about the mens team has an uphill road to climb.
I give up. Read the column i wrote last week and posted above, or go on just assuming you know things or speculate

another is likely hitting the portal today, keep not paying the Iowa men's players and good luck with that

Been at this for awhile, if you think what's happing with men's basketball is a new problem, it's not. now there's an NIL shortage that will hit this harder than at any point when there was no practice facility

And I will re-introduce this example

Tennessee gave JP Estrella $400K for every year he's there. If not, he'd likely be here.

If he's 400 as an incoming freshman what's a second-team all-Big Ten guard worth on the market?

Latest posts