Tony Perkins to the Portal

If you need a 2-guard to basically play downhill, then Perk is your dude. And there is a huge demand for that. If his only responsibility is getting buckets, he would be awesome at that, if he is healthy.

IMO, I don’t think he was healthy the last month of the season and that is why he was so shitty.

Somebody correct me if I have this wrong, Pmac and Perk are 99% gone ?
I wish everyone would be aware of your comment about TP’s health. Good grief! The coaches put him on second team all big ten! Not the media, the coaches.

This isn't about the fans, IMO. Sure, you guys can pass the hat around (a lot) and retain players for MBB. It's being done in football. Football also brings in more money. Business decision. And it's a football school.

The damn NCAA and its member institutions should not get another penny in donations from fans until they pay their share to the student-athletes. Why should fans have to pay with these TV contracts conferences are signing?

Just tell the athletic department you're done donating to them. All of your money is going to NIL earmarked for a given sport. Let them pay for their own freaking facility upgrades and operating costs. Maybe they'll cut some of the fat.

If it takes more money to get the players you need to get to compete with other programs you see regularly, then that decision should be easy. This landscape ain't changing anytime soon. There are no rules.

Appreciated MrT's play every time he was on the court

We wouldn't have won a lot of games without him

However, he was not a point guard

There were countless times he would dribble around, and early in the possession he would
completely miss players open on the wings in their spots

I will miss him and his extreme play taking it to the rim and slamming it DOWN with
authority

This isn't about the fans, IMO. Sure, you guys can pass the hat around (a lot) and retain players for MBB. It's being done in football. Football also brings in more money. Business decision. And it's a football school.

The damn NCAA and its member institutions should not get another penny in donations from fans until they pay their share to the student-athletes. Why should fans have to pay with these TV contracts conferences are signing?

Just tell the athletic department you're done donating to them. All of your money is going to NIL earmarked for a given sport. Let them pay for their own freaking facility upgrades and operating costs. Maybe they'll cut some of the fat.

If it takes more money to get the players you need to get to compete with other programs you see regularly, then that decision should be easy. This landscape ain't changing anytime soon. There are no rules.

THIS, the money/NIF factor is ruining the game

Big pockets, more 4/5 star players who will be gone at the end of the year, or certainly next year

Last edited:
He was a no show in the bigger games this year...especially down the stretch. I thought he had his best year overall though. I wonder if Bowen will reconsider now?
No Bowen is not seeing time at the point for Fran, doesn't see the floor well enough and can't shoot the way Fran expects his point to shoot. I thought he might be a off guard slasher and defender but like Joe T he's a one trick pony. He needs like Joe T, to find someone who can develop his talent. Fran hasn't been able to. Developing guards isn't this staff's thing.

A lot of doom and gloom here. After four years in one place why not try something new. Bring in 2 or 3 guards and see if one pans out.

Somewhat related,

I see that Joe Toussaint ended up at Texas Tech this year averaging 12 points, 4 assists and 33 minutes a game. The previous years Toussaint had spent 1 year at WV and 3 years at Iowa. I would say the portal was probably a good move for Toussaint, giving him room to develop and improve as a player.

Again, UI's men's basketball NIL is far, far behind most of the competition. If you think Iowa is going to replace Perkins with better options, you better hope Fran can outsmart every other coach in the country to convince top talent to come to Iowa for a lot less than they can make elsewhere.

Perkins wants to stay here. He likes Iowa City. He likes his teammates. He likes Fran. But this is business. This might be the most leverage he ever has again in the sport. There's a significant gap between what he can make elsewhere and what he can make here.

Now, you may not like that. You may ask, where's the loyalty? You can scream that from the mountain top, but this is the new reality. This isn't doom and gloom. It's the reality.

Again, UI's men's basketball NIL is far, far behind most of the competition. If you think Iowa is going to replace Perkins with better options, you better hope Fran can outsmart every other coach in the country to convince top talent to come to Iowa for a lot less than they can make elsewhere.

Perkins wants to stay here. He likes Iowa City. He likes his teammates. He likes Fran. But this is business. This might be the most leverage he ever has again in the sport. There's a significant gap between what he can make elsewhere and what he can make here.

Now, you may not like that. You may ask, where's the loyalty? You can scream that from the mountain top, but this is the new reality. This isn't doom and gloom. It's the reality.

I don't like it but I would tell my own son to follow the money.

Some of you posters here who are independently wealthy may disagree, but I am not and my son isn't either.

I don't like it but I would tell my own son to follow the money.

Some of you posters here who are independently wealthy may disagree, but I am not and my son isn't either.
I have comfort money, but not F U money. Even if I had F U money it doesn't mean that I would not encourage my son to blaze his own path and maximize his value. If Iowa is offering 50k and another school offers 250k, its a no brainer. Who among us wouldn't leave their job for 5 times the money???? Like it or not, this is Tony's job right now, and honestly, next year might be the most he can ever earn playing BB.

This is not going to be popular, but if I were Fran, I would do two things. First, I would go to his boss and ask for a raise. He is 9th in the conference. Iowa has the money. Plus, he would not be asking for greed, but for a bigger cause.

Second, I would then donate appreciable money to the Iowa collective earmarked to MBB. I have no idea if this is legal, but why would it not? Fran can do what he wants with his money. He is not paying the players directly and he is a fan of the Iowa program like anyone else. I would love to see the NCAA try and stop him from doing this. It would be in court with an injunction in a day.

For years, we have bitched about the coaches making millions and leaving anytime they want to, and the players barely getting training table. Well, time to put up. Donate a million and retain your players and maybe grab some additional talent from the portal, Fran. Fran has to be set financially for the rest of his life. Would he rather earn a million less this year and be successful, or bank an extra mill, lose his best players, and finish his career limping through the NIT.

You want to win, Fran? You are a millionaire many times over. Lop some off for your players and go from some hardware your last few years in the game!!!! You have the power to do so, do you have the stones?

I think NIL has the potential to hit Iowa particularly hard with how we are damn good at developing guys. Could turn us into a development team for the big boys.

With that said, would it be illegal for top programs to pay us to take on prospects they don’t have room for then pay us a bonus when they poach him?

I have comfort money, but not F U money. Even if I had F U money it doesn't mean that I would not encourage my son to blaze his own path and maximize his value. If Iowa is offering 50k and another school offers 250k, its a no brainer. Who among us wouldn't leave their job for 5 times the money???? Like it or not, this is Tony's job right now, and honestly, next year might be the most he can ever earn playing BB.
This^^^

Amateurism is dead whether the geriatric "Rah rah rah, yay college" set likes it or not.

In my own case...I don't have the income to give my kid a vehicle, a down payment on a house, and say, $50k as starter money in life. Not saying Tony Perkins has to use his money for that or even whether he needs to or not, but if my son could start his adult life out like that by playing for Purdue or Baylor or West Virginia or whoever the hell it is vs the Hawkeyes, I'm telling him to pack his bags and asking nicely if he can get a few plane tickets and a Purdue hoodie from the boosters for me to come watch :)

This is not going to be popular, but if I were Fran, I would do two things. First, I would go to his boss and ask for a raise. He is 9th in the conference. Iowa has the money. Plus, he would not be asking for greed, but for a bigger cause.

Second, I would then donate appreciable money to the Iowa collective earmarked to MBB. I have no idea if this is legal, but why would it not? Fran can do what he wants with his money. He is not paying the players directly and he is a fan of the Iowa program like anyone else. I would love to see the NCAA try and stop him from doing this. It would be in court with an injunction in a day.

For years, we have bitched about the coaches making millions and leaving anytime they want to, and the players barely getting training table. Well, time to put up. Donate a million and retain your players and maybe grab some additional talent from the portal, Fran. Fran has to be set financially for the rest of his life. Would he rather earn a million less this year and be successful, or bank an extra mill, lose his best players, and finish his career limping through the NIT.

You want to win, Fran? You are a millionaire many times over. Lop some off for your players and go from some hardware your last few years in the game!!!! You have the power to do so, do you have the stones?
I wouldn't want to blow millions of my own money when it all comes down to a couple tournament games.

What if you gave a couple mil to buy a dream team and someone got hurt, or someone else doubled your money after you had already paid out, or some 6 seed team had the game of their lives against you in the tournament and ended your run? In my opinion you're dealing with roulette odds at best. Not even Blackjack odds.

Nope. If I'm Fran I'm saying, "Eff it, it's been fun, boys, but not real fun. Hit the lights on your way out, I'm done."

And before people start putting this at Fran's feet...

Over 650 players are already in the portal.
Players from:
Losing teams
Winning teams
Coaches who get technicals
Hall of Fame coaches
Coaches who don't coach defense
Bad coaches
Blue bloods
Mid majors
Coaches that can't get to the Sweet 16

There will be players from teams in the sweet 16, elite 8, Final four. Etc.

count on it, this is college athletics at the current, and no one can blame ANY one for leaving for a literal bag of money

Yes, supports my point above. It's fishing season for all these players to see what they would get. It's going to be a couple thousand at the end of the tournaments.

Good for him I guess. Feels like he was checked out for the last few weeks and was one foot out the door anyway. He's got the covid yr to make himself a FA so why not do what he's doing? He doesn't want to be a Hawk anymore and can pimp himself out to the highest bidder like anyone and everyone else so more power to him.

What kind of season did that Nimmers kid have that went to Indian Hills I believe? Any chance they bring him back? I mean if the Dix rumors are true Harding would be the last man standing for guards.

Agreed, but what might fall at Fran’s feet is how successful he is at getting into the portal and getting someone to replace him.

I am not a fan of this portal BS and I understand how it must frustrate coaches but regardless to be competitive you need to get on the band wagon.

The powers that be at IOWA need to be busy getting donors and businessmen to contribute to keep Iowa competitive.

I would not be surprised if another player or two enters the Portal. I can think of two more players that others schools would love to have.

Actually the portal is not the culprit in this entire deal. When NIL came with no limitations or boundaries, the portal became the path for players. It's really because of NIL and paying players that is causing all this mess.

Actually the portal is not the culprit in this entire deal. When NIL came with no limitations or boundaries, the portal became the path for players. It's really because of NIL and paying players that is causing all this mess.
The NCAA is the culprit in this whole thing. NIL came about with no limits or boundaries because the NCAA would end your entire career at age 18 with no alternative options if you signed a jersey for $50 or let a booster buy your siblings winter coats or fixed their family's car. If they'd have compromised even a little we wouldn't be having this conversation.

And I freakin' love what's happening now that the NCAA is getting its just desserts.

Fran hit the nail on the head in his comments. Its not about NIL. These kids should be getting a piece of the pie. Its NIL coupled with unfettered portal transfers that is creating the chaos. As Fran noted, and as I have being saying forever, the only solution to the chaos is contracts. The Big 10 and the SEC need to free their members to pay kids directly and engage in contract negotiations that all schools will honor. Payment for services for specified years of service. Capitalism tends to smooth out most situations, but right now, the players are free to test the markets but the schools are not free to lock up their talent in exchange for money. That is what is broken.

Latest posts