To those saying Iowa would have to be undefeated for CFP invite...

Alabama, Saban, with a month to prepare. We would have our hands full to say the least.

Catch them right after LSU and immediately before Auburn and we could theoretically have a chance but we would we seventeen point dogs at least. Stanley would get beat to a pulp.
I don't know. The last time Kirk went up against Saban, the results were pretty good.

If Iowa is 12-1 at the end of the season (B1G champs), Alabama is undefeated, and LSU has one loss, I will bet you whatever amount of money you're comfortable with that Iowa will not be in. Iowa would get rejected by SOS alone in that scenario. ...
Iowa's chances are slim and dependent on Wisconsin dropping one more game. As others have pointed out LSU would have at least two losses if Alabama is undefeated.

The question is does a 2 loss LSU w/ the 6th strongest schedule get in over a 1 loss Iowa w/ the 26th strongest schedule?

Teams in this discussion and their SOS:

LSU 6
Michigan State 14
Iowa 26
Penn State 29
Michigan 31
Notre Dame 34
Wisconsin 54
Ohio State 57
Alabama 58

Oh, and the team with the #1 strongest schedule?

Iowa State 1

The question is does a 2 loss LSU w/ the 6th strongest schedule get in over a 1 loss Iowa w/ the 26th strongest schedule?
Not if Iowa finishes 12-1. Iowa will likely finish with a higher SOS (That is to say a stronger SOS than they currently have). Those are the SOSs played so far, not what they will finish the season with. LSU’s birth rests on a victory over Bama. Keep in mind that if LSU loses then they don’t play in the SEC championship. Bama can pull 11-1 with a late loss to keep them out of the CCG. LSU cannot do the same with two losses.

If Iowa wins out, including the B1G title game, they're a prohibitive favorite to make it, because they'll have a better resume than a Big 12 or Pac 12 champ, what with beating Ohio State. You'd have Clemson, Bama, Notre Dame (assuming they win out) and probably Iowa.

I would love a ND Iowa game. That would be amazing.

Also, if Iowa goes 12-1 and Stanley throws 33 tds, is he a Heisman candidate?

I would love a ND Iowa game. That would be amazing.

Also, if Iowa goes 12-1 and Stanley throws 33 tds, is he a Heisman candidate?
If his completion percentage is north of 65% and approaching 70%, yes. He’s sitting at 62% right now. He’s on track for a 3000+ yard season. It would take a heroic effort for a guy from Iowa, but 65% would put him right in line with the las five QBs to win it except for Baker Mayfield who had 70%.

Noted that I was mistaken. And what’s worse is I’m sober as a judge.

Well, not that one judg.......oops.

But...

Let’s hypothetical this, which is my point. If there were a circumstance where an undefeated Alabama team and a one-loss [insert blue blood SEC team] were up against a 12-1 Clemson/FSU/Notre Dame/Oklahoma/whoever and a 12-1 Iowa B1G champ, not gonna happen.

Michigan, PSU or OSU, yep. But not us (or Wisconsin). Which is why they need to go to 5 + 3 at large. We play in a League of Dweebs that keeps getting worse every year and our OOC is 2 FCS schools plus the clowns (they’re not even close to what people are cracking them up to be). To go undefeated in the East you have to beat whichever 3 out of PSU, UM, MSU, or OSU you play. Until there’s a little parity in the B1G no one from our side of the fence is going to go to the dance.

I’ve been here much too long so I’ll let you guys go on the attack.
I get your point, but Iowa didn’t play 2 FCS teams in the OOC either. There’s no reason to downgrade Iowa except for the fact that’s what you do. If Iowa wins out it will play in the playoffs, but that’s not gonna happen IMO.

It’s honestly astonishing the fact that so many of you don’t know the difference between the MAC and FCS.

It’s honestly astonishing the fact that so many of you don’t know the difference between the MAC and FCS.
When I first read it, I thought he was saying the Clowns were FCS. After reading it again, I see it now. I love jabs thrown at Lames.

Recently from SI; it is a longshot but a possibility as I thought I would never see Iowa 12-0

7. Iowa Hawkeyes (5-1)
This week:
vs. Maryland (noon ET, ESPN2)
Toughest remaining test: Oct. 27 at Penn State

The scenario: When Wisconsin lost to Michigan last week, it opened the door for Iowa to win the West division. (Iowa's only loss this season is to Wisconsin.) Iowa still needs the Badgers to lose again, and it's possible they will, with three difficult road trips -- to Northwestern, Penn State and Purdue -- still remaining. Iowa also has to survive back-to-back road games against Penn State (Oct. 27) and Purdue (Nov. 3). It's a tall task, but if the Hawkeyes can win out and upset the East division winner in the Big Ten title game, there could be a big surprise in the final top four.

The odds: The Hawkeyes have a 2 percent chance to reach the playoff and 2 percent chance to win out. If they finish 12-1, there's a 66 percent they will reach the playoff.

Why should we worry? It has no impact on the team's performance. I've never understood the mentality that somehow fans on a message board can look past another team as if it mattered.

Clearly you do not understand the power of the jinx. You don't want to mess with that stuff, man.

Why should we worry? It has no impact on the team's performance. I've never understood the mentality that somehow fans on a message board can look past another team as if it mattered.
If I'm too focused on Penn State I might not cheer properly against Maryland or send the right mental energy to the Hawks

If I'm too focused on Penn State I might not cheer properly against Maryland or send the right mental energy to the Hawks

business-commerce-focus-eyesight-blurry-visual_impairment-work_ethic-bfrn407_low.jpg

The odds: The Hawkeyes have a 2 percent chance to reach the playoff and 2 percent chance to win out. If they finish 12-1, there's a 66 percent they will reach the playoff.

If Iowa wins out, big if, a 66% chance I think is about right. A 2% chance sounds about right overall. If both Oklahoma and Texas win out they will meet in a Big 12 Championship and the winner of that game would probably have an advantage over Iowa. If there is an outright winner in the Big 12, they wouldn't have a championship game, if I understand that correctly and Iowa would have a better chance after beating tOSU or Michigan. A lot depends on how we look beating these teams to. If we squeak out a bunch of games probably a slimmer chance.

for the P5, basically the regular season of CFB is a double elimination tournament every season. Lose twice your almost certainly out. Lose once, you probably make it unless that loss was to bad team or late in the season. I do understand that there is a bias towards blue blood programs, but really, these tournament rules are across the board for every team.

If Iowa wins out, big if, a 66% chance I think is about right. A 2% chance sounds about right overall. If both Oklahoma and Texas win out they will meet in a Big 12 Championship and the winner of that game would probably have an advantage over Iowa. If there is an outright winner in the Big 12, they wouldn't have a championship game, if I understand that correctly and Iowa would have a better chance after beating tOSU or Michigan. A lot depends on how we look beating these teams to. If we squeak out a bunch of games probably a slimmer chance.
Doctors say that Nordberg has a 50/50 chance of living, though there's only a 10% chance of that

Alabama, Saban, with a month to prepare. We would have our hands full to say the least.

Catch them right after LSU and immediately before Auburn and we could theoretically have a chance but we would we seventeen point dogs at least. Stanley would get beat to a pulp.

I definitely like our chances more against them in the championship than the semifinal.

Latest posts