Time running out for Fran?

Last night was proof of what a good point guard can bring to a team. Winston just carved us up with his passing and quickness. We had no one who could pressure him and make it difficult for him. He went where he wanted to, when he wanted to, and passed the ball without anyone in his way. I'm not surprised Ward was 10 for 10 from the field. Winston got him the ball for 4 dunks and 6 shots that were within 2 feet of the rim. Watch for Iowa State to do much of the same to Hawks. If Fran can't find a defender to slow down a good point guard, we be in trouble.

Last night was proof of what a good point guard can bring to a team. Winston just carved us up with his passing and quickness. We had no one who could pressure him and make it difficult for him. He went where he wanted to, when he wanted to, and passed the ball without anyone in his way. I'm not surprised Ward was 10 for 10 from the field. Winston got him the ball for 4 dunks and 6 shots that were within 2 feet of the rim. Watch for Iowa State to do much of the same to Hawks. If Fran can't find a defender to slow down a good point guard, we be in trouble.

Point guard? we don't need no stinking point guard....

Alfonso%20Bedoya%20as%20Gold%20Hat-8x6.jpg

Every year, I say the same things because the same things are true. Fran finds "good" boys who can be pushed around by "bad" boys. The bad boys come in the lane do what they want and take a game over. The good boys do the best they can, hope it goes in, and then get out of the way so the bad boys can take over. Iowa needs to get hard nosed thugs who come in, intimidate, block out, set hard screens, and take over a game. Someone that only a coach like Pitino, Calipari, Tarkanian, or Nolan Richards could get. What that means is get a new coach who isn't the guy you want living next door to or to date your daughter. Why are we all satisfied with mediocrity year after year after year????

With the contract extension and buyout Fran isn't going anywhere for 2 seasons counting this one. Especially with his son coming in next season. Like it or not Fran isn't going anywhere soon and I highly doubt Barta gets fired before that either.

We are stuck and just have to hope things turn around.

One of Davis strengths as a coach was player development. Regardless of talent level, most players got better during their Iowa careers. Guys like Wade Lookingbill, James Winters, James Bartles, Les Jepsen and Ryan Bowen flourished by their senior years. Every year he seemed to have the next in line, ready to take that big senior leap.

While we have only one senior on this team, raise your hand if you think upperclassmen are progressing under Fran. They had better do so, quickly.
Davis had his own shortcomings. He didn't recruit much better. He failed to replace the assistants that could recruit but moved on. His pressure defense was more of a gimmick than sound basketball. He didn't believe in a weight training program for his players. I like Mr. Davis as a person but he left plenty to be desired.

Iowa has a great player in Cook. Wiesenkamp is good, but young. JBo is a sound role player.

I’ve watched cook a lot over the last 3 yrs and I just can’t wrap my head around everyone talking about him as an NBA prospect. I think Aaron white was a much better player than Cook. I’ve yet to see Cook actually be a game changer. He’s like Nate Stanley, good college player, but I’m not seeing next level skills. Love them both, but I can’t see what the so-called “experts” are saying.

Davis had his own shortcomings. He didn't recruit much better. He failed to replace the assistants that could recruit but moved on. His pressure defense was more of a gimmick than sound basketball. He didn't believe in a weight training program for his players. I like Mr. Davis as a person but he left plenty to be desired.
We've discussed it. Bruce and Rudy were responsible for much of his on court and recruiting success. I've also discussed why his pressure defense worked (for a while) Coaches were still trying to recruit the next Lew Alcindor long after the well for athletic seven footers mostly dried up. One of his biggest weaknesses as a coach was in game bench decisions. It was exposed way back in the 1987 UNLV game. He was also lax as an off the court disciplinarian as well. I do respect, however, how certain players like the ones I mentioned developed under him.

Thats the first I was aware of his aversion to weight training. I guarantee Gene Keady wasn't. Even at my middle age I can still learn new things. I do remember a story of how Gerry Wright couldn't come close to bench pressing his weight.

Last edited:
Every year, I say the same things because the same things are true. Fran finds "good" boys who can be pushed around by "bad" boys. The bad boys come in the lane do what they want and take a game over. The good boys do the best they can, hope it goes in, and then get out of the way so the bad boys can take over. Iowa needs to get hard nosed thugs who come in, intimidate, block out, set hard screens, and take over a game. Someone that only a coach like Pitino, Calipari, Tarkanian, or Nolan Richards could get. What that means is get a new coach who isn't the guy you want living next door to or to date your daughter. Why are we all satisfied with mediocrity year after year after year????
Richard Pitino, Tim Miles, and Pat Chambers have been recruiting those types of players for several years with mixed results.

Pretty obvious preseason was fools gold. Here’s to hoping Iowa can get to more than 15 wins this year. Hard to put my finger on it, but this team just doesn’t have it. This would appear to be more of the same.

It seems impossible that Fran is going anywhere, but if he puts together another 4-14 year in the big ten he has to be examined. Kirk is pretty much enshrined in bronze in the football building, but if Iowa went 2-7 or 1-8 in the big ten for a couple straight years, (the rough equivalent of last years b-ball record) even he would be under a microscope.

Fran bought some time by having a couple 4* recruits living in his basement, but another couple years of misery and that goodwill will be gone.

Here’s what I know. Davis took Iowa to the NCAA tournament 9/13 years. Fran has taken us 3/8 years, play in game included. So really 2 time. Fran gets credit for digging out from under Lickliter. But Fran has already missed the tournament more times than Davis did in a lot less time.

Fran is fifty nine years old, and he will be at iowa probably until he is at least 65. Iowa doesn't fire their coaches unless they are forced to. Lickliter would still be at Iowa if they players wanted to play for him.

Fran is fifty nine years old, and he will be at iowa probably until he is at least 65. Iowa doesn't fire their coaches unless they are forced to. Lickliter would still be at Iowa if they players wanted to play for him.
Yep. Maybe we can hire Mike Gatens to go pay Gutless Gary another visit.

With the contract extension and buyout Fran isn't going anywhere for 2 seasons counting this one. Especially with his son coming in next season. Like it or not Fran isn't going anywhere soon and I highly doubt Barta gets fired before that either.

We are stuck and just have to hope things turn around.

This is the correct answer. Barring a major scandal or a trainwreck of a season like last year; Fran isn't going anywhere. This team will likely end up in the 18-21 win range and that will be enough to keep it moving.

Everyone just needs to cut Fran some slack on the defensive strategy last night. MSU was just hitting their uncontested layups last night. Sometimes it happens.

I think this thread should’ve been “ Time Running Out for Barta.” This is the guy that hands out fat contracts without demanding accountibility for mediocre returns. This is the guy that cost the university millions of dollars in a lawsuit. This is the guy that chastises an announcer for saying something caught off-air that many of us have already been thinking. When are we gonna get rid of this guy and get an AD that demands more from his coaches? And if we don’t get that type of AD, then we need to start looking at replacing his boss. It all starts at the top my friends, and as the old saying goes...shit runs downhill. We need an a tough-minded AD, not some milque toast. Until administrative changes are made, we can only expect more of the same ol’ same ol’.