Time running out for Fran?

No, Fran’s time is not running out. They are 6-2, with both losses to ranked opponents. One poor performance. Let’s give them a few more big10 games shall we???

This situation is headed where I suspected it would. Fran is never going to demand his players play defense first and foremost. So, they are slipping back into comfortable, albeit bad habits. I wish I could say I didn't see this coming. They looked so much better to start the season. Oh well. Let's get back to our regularly scheduled program of waiting for Gutless Gary to retire or die.

I know moss made like 4 shots or something tonight and cmac shot horrible tonight . I still think we are a better team with cmac and JBo starting
I’m not sure it matters much. We just don’t have the guards needed to succeed at this level. Connor is now like 1-9 on 3s. Teams will figure that out and sag off of him just as they did with Mike G... and playing JBo at the 2 still means he has to try to defend someone which we’ve seen time and time again doesn’t go well.

This situation is headed where I suspected it would. Fran is never going to demand his players play defense first and foremost. So, they are slipping back into comfortable, albeit bad habits. I wish I could say I didn't see this coming. They looked so much better to start the season. Oh well. Let's get back to our regularly scheduled program of waiting for Gutless Gary to retire or die.
I don’t disagree that Fran is a bad defensive coach both in teaching and demanding defense, however I think tonight is a perfect example of just not having defensive talent. Bohannon is too slow to keep up with Winston in man and Garza is too slow to man the back end in a zone defense. Cook has shown more effort on that end this year but still gets lost and out of position more times than he should. The problem is those are three of our best offensive players. We just don’t have many guys that are plus defenders. I thought Nunge actually would have been one of those guys but we redshirted him. That’s a recruiting failure as well as the coaching failure you mentioned.

I don’t disagree that Fran is a bad defensive coach both in teaching and demanding defense, however I think tonight is a perfect example of just not having defensive talent. Bohannon is too slow to keep up with Winston in man and Garza is too slow to man the back end in a zone defense. Cook has shown more effort on that end this year but still gets lost and out of position more times than he should. The problem is those are three of our best offensive players. We just don’t have many guys that are plus defenders. I thought Nunge actually would have been one of those guys but we redshirted him. That’s a recruiting failure as well as the coaching failure you mentioned.
Absolutely. It is a recruiting failure. He's not a detail oriented coach. That's from top to bottom.

but, but, but, that was just an ugly game we had three games ago. Egg on face for some of you. Thank God we have a couple of cupcakes coming up in the near future so we will be 8-3 with a loss to Iowa State. Barta and Kirk are both sitting back saying “that a boy Fran just the way we like it.” Correct me if I am wrong but doesn’t this loss now make Fran 4-16 in the conference? That’s just off of the top of my head, it may be worse that that. Those are Lickliter type of results. OUCH!!!

Fellas, we are better than with Lick. And recovered from that to at least compete. Just think Fran is missing a real dynamic recruiter (assistant). One with ties to hotbeds like Chicago. Those don’t come easy or cheap tho.

The bad thing is he will not get fired. Let’s all be real here. Shit will never change. Certain teams will always be better with better players in either football or basketball.
Wisconsin. Michigan. Michigan State. Ohio State. Purdue.
Hire Chris Jans from Iowa.
Shit doesn’t change. Come on spring training

Great players can shoot a basketball . Cook is good at what he does in his limited capacity. Cook isn’t a great player .

You just described the Iowa team minus the word great and might not apply to JW as he matures. The players dont have a wide array of skills.

Cook would start for MSU. That was my premise.

MSU
1. Only hits 3 three pointers for the game
2. Scores 90 points
3. Beats Iowa by 22

Fire Fran.

You don't fire Fran for losing to MSU at MSU. You fire Fran for putting th
You just described the Iowa team minus the word great and might not apply to JW as he matures. The players dont have a wide array of skills.

Cook would start for MSU. That was my premise.

Cook would start for MSU and Cook would play much more physical and be a much better defender than he is now.

Iowa BB is so *ucking depressing. The good days of Mr. Davis and before are now 20 years in the review mirror. We have made 6 NCAA tournaments in that time, and we have a huge faction of the fan base who think Fran is a good coach doing a good job. *uck me man. We fired a guy 20 years ago because he took us to the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament every year, and we wanted more.

Iowa BB is so *ucking depressing. The good days of Mr. Davis and before are now 20 years in the review mirror. We have made 6 NCAA tournaments in that time, and we have a huge faction of the fan base who think Fran is a good coach doing a good job. *uck me man. We fired a guy 20 years ago because he took us to the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament every year, and we wanted more.

Sounds like a lobby effort for KF. And yes it could backfire.

Bowlsby thought he had the next Izzo, Boeheim, or coach K. Funny how it worked out.

Cook would start for MSU and Cook would play much more physical and be a much better defender than he is now.[/QUOTE]
It would be an either/or. He's either gonna play better defense or he wouldn't start. That's what good coaches demand.

One of Davis strengths as a coach was player development. Regardless of talent level, most players got better during their Iowa careers. Guys like Wade Lookingbill, James Winters, James Bartles, Les Jepsen and Ryan Bowen flourished by their senior years. Every year he seemed to have the next in line, ready to take that big senior leap.

While we have only one senior on this team, raise your hand if you think upperclassmen are progressing under Fran. They had better do so, quickly.