Throwback Uniforms were Awesome

Really? Come on now. I know at least 10 women who post pretty regularly here and on Rivals.

Well like Freak said, they don't typically introduce themselves as women. And it's usually a safe bet to assume you're talking with a guy when you're on a sports message board. I only knew about one or two.

The one thing I really DON'T want to see change is the helmets.. Love the design with the tigerhawk on the side.

I don't really see the helmets as a Pittsburgh ripoff.. It's more in the jerseys & pants, IMO.

I'd be ok if they tinkered with the jerseys some. Initially I wasn't crazy about it, but probably mostly because it was different. Upon second glance, I would say they weren't bad at all.

Overall I really liked the throwback unis. It was a nice change.

In particular, I liked the jersey. I think it would look really good with Iowa's normal helmets versus the Steelers-style jerseys they wear now.

That said, Iowa has one of the best "looks" in college football with the helmets and jerseys they have been using under Kirk Ferentz's tenure.

No need to change a working formula.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it!" The uniforms need to stay pretty much the same way they have for the last 30 years. The current helmet is recognized as on of the 10 best in college football.

Really? Come on now. I know at least 10 women who post pretty regularly here and on Rivals.

The only one I knew of on this site was from last season - Iowafarmgirl - who everyone pretty much hated and I'm not too sure that she was even a female.

I am a Steelers fan so I love our current uniforms but for those who like the throwback uniforms but want to get away from the steelers look just wanted to let you know that the throw back uniforms we wore yesterday are almost exactly like the steelers throw back uniforms they wore a couple years ago. Except Steelers wore white pants.

I loved the throwbacks, but I don't want us to change too much and I sure don't want Nike to shove their awful pro combat designs down our throat. I looked at all of the designs and they are all hideous.

We have one of the most recognizable uniforms in college football and let's keep it that way.

I still cringe whenever I see that alternate Tigerhawk design the U of I tried to implement 10 or so years ago. Don't mess with a good thing!

I am a Steelers fan so I love our current uniforms but for those who like the throwback uniforms but want to get away from the steelers look just wanted to let you know that the throw back uniforms we wore yesterday are almost exactly like the steelers throw back uniforms they wore a couple years ago. Except Steelers wore white pants.

Damn you beat me to this...lol!

lol yup our "Throwbacks" even look like the Steelers throwbacks...and I am NOT excited for pro combat...someone said the jersey's are possibly yellow?? WTF Nike...that looks soooooo bad.

lol yup our "Throwbacks" even look like the Steelers throwbacks...and I am NOT excited for pro combat...someone said the jersey's are possibly yellow?? WTF Nike...that looks soooooo bad.

The Pro Combat will be fine as long as we do jerseys something like yesterday- and not crazy VTech style.

When was it decided that Iowa already has a Pro Combat jersey established?

There's a few that post I think, but I am betting there's a lot more that just read. Most like me don't usually identify themselves as women specifically. Maybe should add a signatue of "I'm just a girl".

Ok, I'm just a girl too and you are right I don't post much but have been reading daily for the last 3 years. I really liked the throwback uniforms except for the helmet.

The Pro Combat will be fine as long as we do jerseys something like yesterday- and not crazy VTech style.

When was it decided that Iowa already has a Pro Combat jersey established?

Knowing Ferentz, our Combat uniforms will probably be more like Texas' were last year. Those didn't stray too far from what they wear currently. Miami's Combat uni's were fine (flashy, but that's Miami's style anyway). LSU's were cool, but I kept thinking it was Washington playing. Ohio State's were just bad, so were Florida's and VT's.

Ours will be pretty much the same. Remember, it's not the designs that make them Combat uniforms, it's the material they're made of. They were very gimmicky-looking to draw attention to the newly-released material. Eventually every Nike-supplied school will wear uniforms made from the Combat material, but the majority won't change their uniform designs.

If we get pro combat style I wouldnt mind an all black uniform.

Also really dig the flat black helmets. Look real aggressive.

Just put a Tiger Hawk on the helmet instead of the numbers and you are good to go.

I don't think they will change them, but they should. Old school is better - ask Alabama, Penn State, Texas, Michigan, etc.

I agree. I'd make the pants and jersey permanent, but I would put one tigerhawk on one side of the helmet and leave the other side straight black, no numbers, no tigerhawk, gold stripe down top center of helmet as it exists now. I don't believe in changing uniforms. I believe in one identity, one uniform through history. That's how much I liked them.

Frigging awesome. I've been wishing we'd get new uniforms for years now. I like our uniforms but i'm tired of the Steelers look. I want something simple - like Penn State but with Iowa colors and that's what today's unis were... simply outstanding looking.

Couldn't disagree with you more. The throwbacks were ok, but I really wish they'd just stick with the regular uniforms. The regular unis are perfect, awesome, a well-established tradition and are what I am tuning in to see. I hope they never change them.

We only get 7-8 chances year to see the Hawks come out in the home blacks. I feel cheated when they waste one of the opportunities on something "special."

Again, the throwbacks were ok looking. They were not bad looking. They were just not what I wanted to see.

Latest posts