Thoughts on QB coach

I'd like Raih to get the QB coach spot (maybe make it QB and WR as he has experience coaching both). I'm also guessing that BF keeps the OL spot. I think the Wisky OC also coaches the OL. I have no idea on RB coach now that it looks like White is out....maybe bring back Carl Jackson from retirement? :)

You could add "pass game coordinator" onto the position to sweeten the deal.

Chuck Long wouldn't be a bad choice for this position. He has plenty of experience and being a former OC himself he can provide the big picture to the QB's.

Chuck Long and KF from what I heard did not work well together the first go around. But maybe that will have changed now, maybe Long wants back into coaching.

You could add "pass game coordinator" onto the position to sweeten the deal.

The past two years Davis as OC with BF as run game coordinator so flip it and BF as OC with a QB coach\pass game coord. Sounds good, get somebody with some experience and give them 300K per year. It is only the most lacking part of the team besides pass blocking.

Pass blocking and passing game are the weakest in a long time.

With a net worth reported to be over 40 million dollars I think Mr. Warner will take a pass. Would take his son as a preferred walk on though.........we need all the WR candidates we can find.

how about finding a place for this cat. 2 time pro bowler. Coached his teams to 56 straight wins and 7 straight state titles. Guy knows how to win and coachView attachment 2523
Does he want to?? It'd be an interesting dynamic if he were to be the qb coach and having to tell his kid sorry your 3rd string or move to TE... Oh wait he might know something or two about that as well.... I'd be for having him be TEs coach and move Woods back to LB if we're in a fantasy world of musical chairs...

George Whitfield
He's a personal trainer, not a coach. There's more to being a part of a coaching staff than being a "guru" at a position.

Peyton Manning
In the off chance you aren't joking, Manning has said numerous times he'll never be a coach. A Super Bowl- winning, Hall of Fame QB worth half a billion dollars, coaching at a school he has no ties to for $200,000 a year?

Ken O'Keefe
Has a semi-retirement front office job with the Dolphins. He's in his mid 60s, no way he'd go back to grinding a college football season out, especially coming back at a lower level position than the one he had.

Marvin McNutt
No coaching experience and never played the position.

Chris Weinke
Not up to the task; was in way over his head with the Rams and it showed. The only bright spot in the guy's football career was playing for a team whose offense is the exact opposite of what he'd be expected to do at Iowa.

Kurt Warner
Already has a slack job on TV making more than he would as an Iowa coach, and has nothing left to prove in the game.

Tim Tebow / Jesse Palmer (Could teach KF what a pro set offense really is)
With these two you have to be trolling.

Not trolling. Yes some names are sarcastic, especially the last two, those are based on another thread.

However you are wrong on Marvin McNutt. He played QB in HS and was recruited to Iowa to play QB before switching to WR. Also you don't have to have played the position to be able to coach it. Kirk Ferentz was a linebacker in college. Don't believe he ever coached linebackers, and turned out to be a pretty good OL coach.

Also McNutt is currently the new Head Coach for the Cedar Rapids Titans.

Whether its a QB coach or other positions, I would like to see some young energetic Iowa guys join the staff in the next few years to team with BF when he becomes HC, such as Raih, Tate, McNutt, maybe Hinkel, Sanders. Realistically, timing probably isn't there right now for some or any of those guys, but would be a nice energetic boost to the staff and more relate able to recruits.

Last edited:
I could call Drew Tate and see if he is interested. I actually have his cell number. Not that I am going to however.

Not trolling, yes some sarcastic names. Especially last two. That was in regards to a different thread.

However you are wrong about Marvin McNutt. He played QB in hs and was recruited to Iowa as a QB then switched positions.

Nevermind you don't necessarily have to have played the position to coach it. For example Chuck Long started coaching DB's.

Not trolling. Yes some names are sarcastic, especially the last two, those are based on another thread.

However you are wrong on Marvin McNutt. He played QB in HS and was recruited to Iowa to play QB before switching to WR. Also you don't have to have played the position to be able to coach it. Kirk Ferentz was a linebacker in college. Don't believe he ever coached linebackers, and turned out to be a pretty good OL coach.

Also McNutt is currently the new Head Coach for the Cedar Rapids Titans.

Whether its a QB coach or other positions, I would like to see some young energetic Iowa guys join the staff in the next few years to team with BF when he becomes HC, such as Raih, Tate, McNutt, maybe Hinkel, Sanders. Realistically, timing probably isn't there right now for some or any of those guys, but would be a nice energetic boost to the staff and more relate able to recruits.
Re: McNutt, playing QB in high school is a far cry from being able to coach it at the Big 10 level. Quarterback coaching is a totally different animal than DBs or linebackers. Also, the indoor league stuff is even below D1 college ball and isn't relevant prep for a high level job. Position coaches at FBS schools either played and had a lot of success at their positions or started at the graduate assistant level for several years, and worked their way up by establishing a reputation and networking with coaching staffs. I know McNutt and Tate are gung ho types but hiring at big programs just doesn't work that way.

Knowing the position and being good at it are small parts of being an effective coach. You have to be a good teacher and people manager, and that has to come from experience.

Last edited:
Re: McNutt, playing QB in high school is a far cry from being able to coach it at the Big 10 level. Quarterback coaching is a totally different animal than DBs or linebackers. Also, the indoor league stuff is even below D1 college ball and isn't relevant prep for a high level job. Position coaches at FBS schools either played and had a lot of success at their positions or started at the graduate assistant level for several years, and worked their way up by establishing a reputation and networking with coaching staffs. I know McNutt and Tate are gung ho types but hiring at big programs just doesn't work that way.

Knowing the position and being good at it are small parts of being an effective coach. You have to be a good teacher and people manager, and that has to come from experience.

Jay Gruden might have a different opinion.

During his time in the Arena Football League (AFL), he won four ArenaBowls as a player and two more as a head coach.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Gruden

Someone mentioned Tate's lack of experience, but Beathard regressed under Davis so really is experience that big of a deal in this case?

Experience is overrated. If they can relate to the players and know about how to play the position it won't matter. That is why there are some great coaches that have very limited playing time at a high level and while some high level players were terrible coaches. Some people just need an opportunity, I would have no issue if Tate was given a chance. I do like that Brian is a little younger and I think the staff needs more young life. Plus I think he could help recruit Texas

Even if Warner wanted to do it,
I'm pretty sure his wife is the one who makes the decisions.

Last edited:
McNutt is the head coach for the CR Titans (yeah, yeah, I know). He's also done a lot of one on one coaching with kids in the area. Not sure he's the ideal candidate but he has some experience.

Please avert your eyes from Marv Cook for a few more years. I'd like my boys to play for him!

David Raih is a great guy. GREAT guy. He's got a great thing going in GB though and he's already experienced Iowa as a GA. Can't quite see him coming back but who knows.

Whoever asked about BF and Drew Tate, I think they are on good terms. Drew was asked about him on the Iowa huddle podcast and it sounded like they got along well. If I remember right, he teased Brian about using "coach speak" with Drew after all they knew about each other from college.

Latest posts