Thoughts on QB coach

Drew on huddle said he was coming to talk to COACH.ABOUT B
ONE can hope no? Drew would be off the charts good.
I.
I haven't heard anything from him on his podcast or anything else lately. So if he's having a sit down meeting with coaches that can only be a great thing. It'd be better if they called it an 'interview' But we'll see.

If anything, Tate could be a graduate assistant. With his lack of coaching experience, I would be very surprised if he would be considered for anything more. IMO, the new hires will be continuing the shift to a younger coaching group but with experience.

I haven't heard anything from him on his podcast or anything else lately. So if he's having a sit down meeting with coaches that can only be a great thing. It'd be better if they called it an 'interview' But we'll see.
Thought hesaid he would be in ic on12-15.then he and girl friend going to his condo in muscle schoals.DREW WAY COOL. WOULD GREAT RECRUITER.

I don't see KF ever hiring Tate on staff or really considering him. Just a hunch.
Hard to say. Drew isn't the same hot headed 20 yr old he was when he was yelling at teammates and coaches on the sidelines anymore. It's just impossible for us to know what their relationship may be now if they even have one. One thing I think is for sure. Brian is going to want to do things his way as much as possible. So hiring an offensive staff of his own would be where he starts. (right alongside recruiting)

Hard to say. Drew isn't the same hot headed 20 yr old he was when he was yelling at teammates and coaches on the sidelines anymore. It's just impossible for us to know what their relationship may be now if they even have one. One thing I think is for sure. Brian is going to want to do things his way as much as possible. So hiring an offensive staff of his own would be where he starts. (right alongside recruiting)

When Tate was the honorary captain before a game 2-3 years ago, did anyone else other than me run into him outside before the game?

Kurt Warner, he has to be making good money on the NFL network plus if he saved any kind of dough from playing he doesnt have to work at all.

I believe Iowa offered his son a walk on opportunity. I think Kurt was looking for schollie. They should make it a package deal, father and son. You get a guy that can still throw some balls to the boys in practice. He'd be playing catch with his son for 5 years.

McNutt is the head coach for the CR Titans (yeah, yeah, I know). He's also done a lot of one on one coaching with kids in the area. Not sure he's the ideal candidate but he has some experience.

Please avert your eyes from Marv Cook for a few more years. I'd like my boys to play for him!

David Raih is a great guy. GREAT guy. He's got a great thing going in GB though and he's already experienced Iowa as a GA. Can't quite see him coming back but who knows.

Whoever asked about BF and Drew Tate, I think they are on good terms. Drew was asked about him on the Iowa huddle podcast and it sounded like they got along well. If I remember right, he teased Brian about using "coach speak" with Drew after all they knew about each other from college.

What I have heard regarding Marv is that he has a real nice investment advisory / management business and he can't get into full time coaching and still have that, and he gets to coach high school as his schedule is a little flexible as is.

how about finding a place for this cat. 2 time pro bowler. Coached his teams to 56 straight wins and 7 straight state titles. Guy knows how to win and coachView attachment 2523[/QUOTE
David Raih
George Whitfield
Peyton Manning
Ken O'Keefe
Marvin McNutt
Chris Weinke
Kurt Warner
Tim Tebow / Jesse Palmer (Could teach KF what a pro set offense really is)

Heck, Joe Montana. Call him up.

The Hartlieb boys were pretty damn good. What are they doing?

Chuck is a financial planner in Des Moines. No coaching experience.
Jim is the President of First Business Bank in Madison. No coaching experience.
John is the Vice President Power Generation at Interstate Powersystems in Chicago. No coaching experience.

I guess I knew a little bit of the backstory on Raih, but I just looked at his bio more closely, and this guy sure seems to have the mark of a winner. I think a move to QB Coach/Pass Game Coordinator at a P5 school would be a logical next step (unless he really loves the pro game).

David Raih (current assistant O-Line coach with Packers)
  • State champ in BB as a junior, state semis in FB junior and senior year
  • Played QB at Iowa (99-03), on team's leadership committee
  • Sales rep for Zimmer Inc (ortho device manufacturer), company's youngest ever winner of one of their prestigious national sales awards (04-07)
  • Unpaid coaching intern at UCLA after leaving 6 figure job to pursue his dream of coaching (08-09)
  • GA at Iowa (10-12)
  • Director of High School Relations, Texas Tech (also assisted with QBs, promoted to outside receivers coach prior to bowl game; 2013)
  • Coaching administrator with Packers (14-15)
  • Assistant O-line coach with Packers (16)

I guess I knew a little bit of the backstory on Raih, but I just looked at his bio more closely, and this guy sure seems to have the mark of a winner. I think a move to QB Coach/Pass Game Coordinator at a P5 school would be a logical next step (unless he really loves the pro game).

David Raih (current assistant O-Line coach with Packers)
  • State champ in BB as a junior, state semis in FB junior and senior year
  • Played QB at Iowa (99-03), on team's leadership committee
  • Sales rep for Zimmer Inc (ortho device manufacturer), company's youngest ever winner of one of their prestigious national sales awards (04-07)
  • Unpaid coaching intern at UCLA after leaving 6 figure job to pursue his dream of coaching (08-09)
  • GA at Iowa (10-12)
  • Director of High School Relations, Texas Tech (also assisted with QBs, promoted to outside receivers coach prior to bowl game; 2013)
  • Coaching administrator with Packers (14-15)
  • Assistant O-line coach with Packers (16)

Hopefully this is the first guy they call for one of openings... AJ Blazek should also be a name on everyone's radar, unless Brian is going to be OC and OL? Phil Parker does also coach DB's so I could see that happening.

Hopefully this is the first guy they call for one of openings... AJ Blazek should also be a name on everyone's radar, unless Brian is going to be OC and OL? Phil Parker does also coach DB's so I could see that happening.

YES on Raih and Blazek.......if we could get those two young coaches, that would be awesome.

I actually want a full time OL coach, and leave Brian at just the OC, as he can then help out with both the OL and TE if needed. I also wouldn't mind seeing a Marv Cook hired for TE coach, and move Lavar back over to the defensive side to take over DB, or move Wallace to DB and Woods to LB.

Lots and lots of options. My #1 though would be Raih as QB coach and maybe Passing game coordinator as well.

YES on Raih and Blazek.......if we could get those two young coaches, that would be awesome.

I actually want a full time OL coach, and leave Brian at just the OC, as he can then help out with both the OL and TE if needed. I also wouldn't mind seeing a Marv Cook hired for TE coach, and move Lavar back over to the defensive side to take over DB, or move Wallace to DB and Woods to LB.

Lots and lots of options. My #1 though would be Raih as QB coach and maybe Passing game coordinator as well.

It has been refreshing to see changes being made instead of just ignoring the problems. With the 10th assistant being added I don't think there is any reason your offensive or defensive coordinator should be also coaching a position. Let them game plan and organize their specific side of the ball.

I am also all for guys like Drew Tate and Marvin McNutt coming back and coaching, but they need to take the GA route like everyone else. There have been a ton of examples across the board in sports of former players who were great on the field and mediocre as a coach. I am not saying that would be the case for Drew and Marvin, actually think they would be great additions to the staff!

The interesting thing to watch will be if Brian is filling the openings with guys he wants or is ol man Kirk is looking for a new crop of "YES men"... I think Brian makes the call here

Kurt Warner has a hard on for Iowa because he wasn't offered a scholarship. He used to ask my friend at the Barnstormers when Kurt was in St. Louis, "Where is Matt Sherrnan now?"

Kurt Warner has a hard on for Iowa because he wasn't offered a scholarship. He used to ask my friend at the Barnstormers when Kurt was in St. Louis, "Where is Matt Sherrnan now?"

That is pretty funny, but Kurt didn't even win the job at UNI from Jay Johnson until Jay graduated. And where did Jay Johnson end up, finally getting into a coordinator role or at least was.

Latest posts