Thoughts on QB coach

Chuck Long wouldn't be a bad choice for this position. He has plenty of experience and being a former OC himself he can provide the big picture to the QB's.

Drew Tate would love to have it I bet. Would they hire him? Who knows...
I don't question his enthusiasm a bit, but to get hired in the B1G as a position coach you'll need to have some experience. When LeVar Woods came from the NFL he had to spend 4 years as an administrative assistant before he got bumped up to linebackers coach.

I know Tate wants to coach bad, but there's just no way to slide in like that at a major school.

Chuck Long wouldn't be a bad choice for this position. He has plenty of experience and being a former OC himself he can provide the big picture to the QB's.
I think his coaching days are done. That'd be quite the step down for a guy that was an OC and HC both for a period of time. He seems to enjoy doing TV now. Pretty easy very little stress gig with a whole lot more free time for him... If he'd have wanted to coach at all I think he'd have gotten back in somewhere by now..

I think his coaching days are done. That'd be quite the step down for a guy that was an OC and HC both for a period of time. He seems to enjoy doing TV now. Pretty easy very little stress gig with a whole lot more free time for him... If he'd have wanted to coach at all I think he'd have gotten back in somewhere by now..
Same as Jon Gruden. The stress to money ratio makes coaching look like a stupid idea.

Agree this is an important hire. Think QB progression, not regression. Wow that would do wonders for the team!

David Raih
George Whitfield
Peyton Manning
Ken O'Keefe
Marvin McNutt
Chris Weinke
Kurt Warner
Tim Tebow / Jesse Palmer (Could teach KF what a pro set offense really is)

I don't question his enthusiasm a bit, but to get hired in the B1G as a position coach you'll need to have some experience. When LeVar Woods came from the NFL he had to spend 4 years as an administrative assistant before he got bumped up to linebackers coach.

I know Tate wants to coach bad, but there's just no way to slide in like that at a major school.
Yeah I agree it'd be surprising if he were to be hired for it. I'm not sure what relationship those two he and Brian have either. They may hate each other for all I know. I doubt it but you just never know without knowing anything different. I guess it'd be interesting to hear Tate's next podcast on it all..

David Raih
George Whitfield
Peyton Manning
Ken O'Keefe
Marvin McNutt
Chris Weinke
Kurt Warner
Aren't we recruiting his kid as a WR possibly too? I can't remember if he's for this class or the next. But that'd be awesome if say he wanted in coaching to bring him on board.... He's got that cushy TV gig too so it's hard to say if he could be lured away from that

Tate and Brian working on the offense huh? Not exactly passive wallflowers. If they didn't light a fire under the offense and Kirk I don't know who could.
Ikr. I could get down with that. The lack of experience would mean what? They have to burn a TO here and there because there is confusion and the play clock is running down? Pff they already do that once or twice again as it is. I love the thought of young hungry aggressive coaches that have Hawkeye blood running through their veins that want to win almost as much as they hate to lose.

David Raih
George Whitfield
Peyton Manning
Ken O'Keefe
Marvin McNutt
Chris Weinke
Kurt Warner

George Whitfield
He's a personal trainer, not a coach. There's more to being a part of a coaching staff than being a "guru" at a position.

Peyton Manning
In the off chance you aren't joking, Manning has said numerous times he'll never be a coach. A Super Bowl- winning, Hall of Fame QB worth half a billion dollars, coaching at a school he has no ties to for $200,000 a year?

Ken O'Keefe
Has a semi-retirement front office job with the Dolphins. He's in his mid 60s, no way he'd go back to grinding a college football season out, especially coming back at a lower level position than the one he had.

Marvin McNutt
No coaching experience and never played the position.

Chris Weinke
Not up to the task; was in way over his head with the Rams and it showed. The only bright spot in the guy's football career was playing for a team whose offense is the exact opposite of what he'd be expected to do at Iowa.

Kurt Warner
Already has a slack job on TV making more than he would as an Iowa coach, and has nothing left to prove in the game.

With these two you have to be trolling.

I'm guessing Raih gets a spot.

Didn't Tate say he would come on as a GA? How can you beat that!

Will we hire an OL coach since Brian will be focusing big picture? Ron Aiken to DL and Morgan back to OL?

George Whitfield
He's a personal trainer, not a coach. There's more to being a part of a coaching staff than being a "guru" at a position.

Peyton Manning
In the off chance you aren't joking, Manning has said numerous times he'll never be a coach. A Super Bowl- winning, Hall of Fame QB worth half a billion dollars, coaching at a school he has no ties to for $200,000 a year?

Ken O'Keefe
Has a semi-retirement front office job with the Dolphins. He's in his mid 60s, no way he'd go back to grinding a college football season out, especially coming back at a lower level position than the one he had.

Marvin McNutt
No coaching experience and never played the position.

Chris Weinke
Not up to the task; was in way over his head with the Rams and it showed. The only bright spot in the guy's football career was playing for a team whose offense is the exact opposite of what he'd be expected to do at Iowa.

Kurt Warner
Already has a slack job on TV making more than he would as an Iowa coach, and has nothing left to prove in the game.

With these two you have to be trolling.
Kurt Warner is the only one on here I'd say there's a snow balls chance with. He's tutored QBs in the off seasons. He seems to have a bit of the coaching bug in him. To what extent he'd be willing to scratch it I dunno. But I'd have to think if Iowa were to have his kid come walk on and play WR for us there'd be a chance at him anyway... Albeit I don't think he'd be in it for the long term I'd still be fired up to have him on board.

I'm guessing Raih gets a spot.

Didn't Tate say he would come on as a GA? How can you beat that!

Will we hire an OL coach since Brian will be focusing big picture? Ron Aiken to DL and Morgan back to OL?

I'd like Raih to get the QB coach spot (maybe make it QB and WR as he has experience coaching both). I'm also guessing that BF keeps the OL spot. I think the Wisky OC also coaches the OL. I have no idea on RB coach now that it looks like White is out....maybe bring back Carl Jackson from retirement? :)

Latest posts