This year still up in the Air but Next Year

Its so hard to predict this stuff because you have no idea what type of leaps current players will make.

95% of this board would have said BS if they would have been told last February that Oglesby is going to play as well as he has this year.

You're out of your mind if you don't think losing Marble will hurt. He's one of the few guys on the team who can create his own shot.

Agree, Iowa is going to be in deep trouble next year with not a single person on the roster who can create their own shots.

Players can improve from year-to-year. I have really liked Mike's ability to get to the rim lately. I'd like him to be more assertive. Also, who knows if JO might be able to start hitting clutch shots towards the end of games or create his own shot, but he's looking promising lately (sans the air ball from last night). Also, Jok is an unknown, maybe he'll become a stone-cold killa. I won't hold my breath, but he's kind of an unknown at this point in time. There has be a good reason as to why Fran has been playing him lately though, and it's not because of his defense. One thing we won't miss though- Marble constantly being given the ball at the end of games and either turning it over or missing the shot. It can't get any worse because it's been proven that Marble is NOT clutch, whatsoever.

Also, I think the impact of losing Basabe hurts more than losing Marble.

I see Meyer as a taller more athletic version of McCabe. If McCabe was a couple of inches taller, he would be a serious threat inside. Both McCabe and Meyer can shoot, but I see Meyer having a higher percentage on his shot than McCabe. Meyer should have a lot easier time with his shot being a little taller, and a little more athletic. Anyway, I'm looking forward to what he can do. Uhl looks pretty smooth and athletic for a big guy.

Think Fran is sitting Gesell at the end of games this year so he's fresh for next season.

I am assuming this is a joke, but if not I really hope this isn't how you think coaches go about things...Fran could give a rip about next season right now. I really hope you were kidding though...

Gesell will be even better next year if the trend stays the same.

Woody needs to develop softer touch around the basket and the ability to get his feet and legs under him to power thru defenders for dunks and just dropping it over the rim, you know 99% shooting territory.

I liked seeing White try a pull up jumper last nite, hadnt seen that in two months if at all this year. He needs to really get good at that shot going both ways and that will really help.

Olesani has dipped down on defense as I think all the hedging he does on screens takes him out of the lane and out of position. we will see if he gets back that block shot swagger.

Oglesby has shown he can shoot, he can play some dee

I am really hoping Clemmons comes on as a very athletic player who can slash to the rim lay it in or dish, we have seen him be a pretty good defender and rebounder but can he take a step up to be above avg in the Big.

I think Uthoff will get much better knowing his role and if he can really work on that first step to get his shoulder past the defender.

Bring in one or two more good players, and if Jok can surprise that will be a good start.

Really hope not. Total admission of failure and a capitulation that Fred Hoiberg and the clowns were right all along.
Not really. Just because Fran chose to build his team the old fashioned way, doesn't exclude him from taking on transfers, nor is it a battle of good vs evil, right vs wrong. You cannot be this ignorant in real life, can you?

As to the thread topic, I don't see any way this team is better next season with what we currently know about the likely roster.

Marble is currently shooting .419% from the field. Not from 3, FROM THE FIELD. Some guys shoot that well from beyond the arc. If you put up that many shoots per game, some of them are bound to fall. He also averages 2 turnovers a game, and seems to have them at the worst times. I'll be glad to see somebody else get a chance at the end of games next season, because time and time again, Marble has proved that he is NOT clutch, whatsoever. The guy has never made a game-winning or trying shot at the end of regulation, but Fran keeps going to him at the end of games for some reason. :confused:

I know I'm not in the majority here, but I'm not that worried. I won't miss his terrible shooting percentage or terrible turnovers very much. At least somebody else will be given a shot, because Marble has proved that is just doesn't have it (being clutch).

I agree here totally. Kid has a great skill set, but don't count on it in the clutch. How many games is it now in the last 2 seasons have we watched the hawks flop like dieing fish in the last 90 seconds of a close game and I can't recall one instance where we got anyone to hit a game changing shot. Close game at 90 seconds or less = us losing in the last 2 seasons.

Maybe the 2nd Michigan game was the peak and it's time to rebuild for 4 years to try and get in the tourney. One consideration the committee makes is last 10 games., we are playing like garbage right now. If we don't get in, could see Fran move on without ever making one at Iowa.

Maybe the 2nd Michigan game was the peak and it's time to rebuild for 4 years to try and get in the tourney. One consideration the committee makes is last 10 games., we are playing like garbage right now. If we don't get in, could see Fran move on without ever making one at Iowa.
Minnesota fell off the face of the Earth last year in their last 10 going 3-7 and still got in, after starting 17-5. I wouldn't worry too much about not getting in.

Not anymore they don't.

And good God this post if filled with overreactionary garbage.

Regarding Marble: I think he would be best suited in the Scottie Pippen role (I think he would thrive) but on this team he is playing the Michael Jordan role (where he has not always thrived). Not hating, I love me some Marble, terrific player who has done fabulous things here. I just think he is being asked to do things at the end of the game that other teams can stop when they know it is coming. And they do know it is coming.

I don't think losing Marble hurts the team as much as we think it does. He has been below average many more times this year than he has been good. I feel as if sometimes he ruins team chemistry with his inability to hit the open man and turnover the ball in the lane. No offense to him but if you shoot 20 shots a game you need to be scoring 30 points. He only scores 20 so a 1:1 ratio which is not good. I think his loss with be negative in a way but also brings a positive.

FAIL

No, they don't.

Never said it doesn't hurt the team. Sorry I look at his percentages instead of just points. He has has a few fantastic games but other than that I don't count scoring 21 points while shooting 8-19 a very good game. He shoots 41% from the field which is not worthy of B1G POY. Oglesby shoots a better percentage from 21 ft. out. If you take 20 shots you're due to score 20 points. Idk how you can argue that or the fact that sometimes he is reluctant to give up the ball when people are open. We'e seen it many times this season. In transition as well as in the half court. He drives tries to force it and turns it over. I agree he will be missed because he the one everybody looks to and can create some things but I would like to see somebody get a chance in big time situations. Big time players make big time plays and I haven't seen it out of Marble this year.

I agree here totally. Kid has a great skill set, but don't count on it in the clutch. How many games is it now in the last 2 seasons have we watched the hawks flop like dieing fish in the last 90 seconds of a close game and I can't recall one instance where we got anyone to hit a game changing shot. Close game at 90 seconds or less = us losing in the last 2 seasons.

And yet we wouldn't even be in a position to win those games without Marble in the first place, for the most part.

You don't lose your best player from the previous year, not replace him with a player who is at least as good as he is, and not get worse. That just doesn't happen.

Latest posts