This year still up in the Air but Next Year

Uthoff showed real promise early in the year, better than I anticipated, but he seems to have hit a wall, kinda like the mystical freshman/rookie wall you hear about. I think he'll come on in a big way next year, with a year of confidence under his belt, having been through the battles.

What I don't care for is NO one is really developing for next year, outside perhaps Gesell.
White has taken a step back. Uthoff is lost right now (damn shame too). Clemmons gets no minutes, Jok sits. Who is going to pan out?

Oglesby is looking pretty promising...

Marble is currently shooting .419% from the field. Not from 3, FROM THE FIELD. Some guys shoot that well from beyond the arc. If you put up that many shoots per game, some of them are bound to fall. He also averages 2 turnovers a game, and seems to have them at the worst times. I'll be glad to see somebody else get a chance at the end of games next season, because time and time again, Marble has proved that he is NOT clutch, whatsoever. The guy has never made a game-winning or trying shot at the end of regulation, but Fran keeps going to him at the end of games for some reason. :confused:

I know I'm not in the majority here, but I'm not that worried about. I won't miss his terrible shooting percentage or terrible turnovers very much. At least somebody else will be given a shot, because Marble has proved that is just doesn't have it (being clutch).

Thank you. Exactly what been saying. It's not hard to shoot 20 times a game and score 20. You need to be scoring 30. He also hogs the rock in certain situations like on a fast break he never kicks it out and sometimes he just gets into that ball hog mode then tries to force it.

white hasn't regressed

if you recall, during the 2nd half of B1G play last year, he was basically limited to drives, run-outs, and getting to the line (it seemed like most of his scoring came from the stripe). teams laid off of him, and his jump shot was less developed than it is now.

you eliminate white if you muscle him on the boards, keep him contained in the open court, and make him take jump shots. B1G teams have done that this year, and I think whitey is a little better at moving without the ball to get lay ups in the half court sets, and his jumper, though still weak, is nevertheless better. he's a limited talent with a big motor -- it's not that white disappears, it's that it's not hard to control him if you have the right personnel.

Disagree. He has a skill set that noone else on the team has. We're going to struggle next year without him and Basabe and I'd predict a second division finish unless Fran somehow gets a couple of athletic juco guys to come in here but who knows if that's even possible.

You don't disagree with him, actually he's just wrong. RDM has been among the top 100 in the nation in assist-turnover ratio most of the season. Unless Mike or Josh can start hitting shots like that one at the end of the half last night, we are surely going to miss a lot of Marble's plays.

Thank you. Exactly what been saying. It's not hard to shoot 20 times a game and score 20. You need to be scoring 30. He also hogs the rock in certain situations like on a fast break he never kicks it out and sometimes he just gets into that ball hog mode then tries to force it.

You think he shoots that much because he and his teammates know that they can't get their shots off as well as he can? Therefore, they defer to him and he is shooting a lot more. Without him, they'd have a lot more shot-clock violations and last second bad shots. People really need to look deeper at this than they're doing.

You don't disagree with him, actually he's just wrong. RDM has been among the top 100 in the nation in assist-turnover ratio most of the season. Unless Mike or Josh can start hitting shots like that one at the end of the half last night, we are surely going to miss a lot of Marble's plays.

Oglesby can make those off balance shots. End of the half against Minny at home? Illinois last year the second three on the back to back ones. Did you not see Oglesby hit that last shot last night? I do agree we will miss him because he can create but sometimes I think his ability create is a little overrated.

You think he shoots that much because he and his teammates know that they can't get their shots off as well as he can? Therefore, they defer to him and he is shooting a lot more. Without him, they'd have a lot more shot-clock violations and last second bad shots. People really need to look deeper at this than they're doing.

So you're telling me that you've never seen Marble try to do too much and not kick it out to an open shooter? I've seen it on the fast break all the time and multiple times he hasn't converted. We've seen it all season, him forcing up shots and trying to force the drive. I do like Dev and I agree is the one everybody looks at but sometimes he plays with a selfishness when maybe he could take 5 less shots and maybe try to get somebody a better one.

No no no. I never said losing Marble wouldn't hurt us. I agree it will but not as much as people making it out to be. But sometimes I do get tired of Marble trying to be the hero and not converting at the end of games and not hitting a wide open man on a drive because he wants the points. He just plays a little selfish to me at times. I do like his skill set tho.

They should be really good next year with the players maturation. Hopefully, they can recruit a couple of guys this spring that will make them really, really good. I have a feeling Iowa probably won't get the two junior college guys, but there will be a lot of great players available this spring. I think Meyer is going to be good next year. He will be a man at power forward or center after lifting weights for three years at Iowa. He is a good shooter, and its to bad we didn't get to see more of him this year. Fran likes to go with experience so it didn't really work out to much for him this year.

They should be really good next year with the players maturation. Hopefully, they can recruit a couple of guys this spring that will make them really, really good. I have a feeling Iowa probably won't get the two junior college guys, but there will be a lot of great players available this spring. I think Meyer is going to be good next year. He will be a man at power forward or center after lifting weights for three years at Iowa. He is a good shooter, and its to bad we didn't get to see more of him this year. Fran likes to go with experience so it didn't really work out to much for him this year.

I'm sorry but I just don't see Meyer ever playing. Idk what everybody else thinks tho.

No way we're a better, or even the same, team, talent wise, then this year.

Our record may be better, but talent wise, significant drop off.

If Hawk fans our pinning hopes on Meyer (what makes you think he will be good next year? Is he schooling Basabe in practice?) we are in deep trouble. We will miss Mel and Dev on the defensive end especially. I doubt there is an uncommitted HS senior that could possible come in and make a difference next season.

On the other hand, their is reason for optimism with pretty talented and experienced guys coming back next year. It will be like this year, Hawks will have legitimate shot at finishing in the top half of BIG. Some great moments and plenty of frustrating one.
At least the program is relevant again, thank you Fran!

If somehow we land Atwood/Dickerson, we’ll be better. I’ll bet the farm that Fran will test the free agent pool at season’s end for a 1 year guy to tide them over til 2015 class.

Agree 100%. While it appears he takes so many shots as Waterboy indicated, how many of those are at the end of the shot clock when the ball ends up back in his hands because no one else will shoot. I get that his role is to be the #1 option, but the fact is the rest of the guys need to step up. I'm sorry but Marbles shot totals are going to be up when White has games like he did vs. Wescy and takes 5 total shots. IMHO Marble's shooting because no one else is.

I don't see how it can be said that he's "been below average many more times this year then he's been good". He's the only player in the B1G that has been in double figures every game this season. If the "been below average more than being good" criteria is accurate then we're in trouble as he is without a doubt one of our more consistent players and definitely not someone that I'd consider "below average" most nights.
Marble lets the situation get to him and underperforms because he doesn't let the game come to him.

So you're telling me that you've never seen Marble try to do too much and not kick it out to an open shooter? I've seen it on the fast break all the time and multiple times he hasn't converted. We've seen it all season, him forcing up shots and trying to force the drive. I do like Dev and I agree is the one everybody looks at but sometimes he plays with a selfishness when maybe he could take 5 less shots and maybe try to get somebody a better one.

Yes, I agree he does that sometimes but the only reason they are open is because the other team respects his ability so much that they collapse on him. Without him next year, who's going to strike any fear in the opposition?

If somehow we land Atwood/Dickerson, we’ll be better. I’ll bet the farm that Fran will test the free agent pool at season’s end for a 1 year guy to tide them over til 2015 class.

Really hope not. Total admission of failure and a capitulation that Fred Hoiberg and the clowns were right all along.

You're out of your mind if you don't think losing Marble will hurt. He's one of the few guys on the team who can create his own shot.

Agree, Iowa is going to be in deep trouble next year with not a single person on the roster who can create their own shots.

I just think his point totals are very skewed by how many times he shoots. If it's his or not his fault I think if you shoot 20 times a game you better be in double figures.

Marble will be a loss but I can at least see where we have others on staff that could begin to pick up his work load. I don't see anyone who is going to replace what we lose inside with Basabe & McCabe gone.....

Latest posts